DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Note to self - not on a windy day

I don't think the MPP handles wind anywhere near as well as the standard MP, or maybe it's the props.
We had a gusty morning and my MPP was being tossed like a rag.- literally moving about a foot in every direction.
I sent it up about 60 feet and the wind was taking it away - had to put it in sport mode to bring it back.
Anyone else flown theirs in breezy conditions?
Sounds like there are three potential types of props which all have scenarios where they likely would be preferred

I went right from a Spark to a MPP. I love the MPP, but it does seem very unstable in wind, even more so then my Spark did. Dramatic reductions in speed with any headwind. I almost couldn't get it home one time, only managed 4-5 mph in Sport Mode. I had flown the Spark in similar conditions. It wasn't pretty, but I never felt like it was actually blowing away. The other thing I noticed is when landing the MPP in winds, it's very jumpy like the motors on the left and right are rapidly changing speed as it descends. Anyone else see this? I've never flown a regular MP, but I'd be curious if changing blades on the MPP might help windy flying.

I just had a similar situation with my MPP flying against the wind at around 150ft. UAV forecast indicated winds of 15 mph at that altitude but it wasn't making any progress in normal P-mode, and whilst it did eventually get back in sport mode, it was by no means easy. I'll try re-calibrating the IMU and see if it makes any difference (I haven't done any calibrations since delivery) but, as mentioned above, I was wondering if anyone had fitted the standard props to their MPP and see if that made a difference?

I don't think the MPP handles wind anywhere near as well as the standard MP, or maybe it's the props.
We had a gusty morning and my MPP was being tossed like a rag.- literally moving about a foot in every direction.
I sent it up about 60 feet and the wind was taking it away - had to put it in sport mode to bring it back.
Anyone else flown theirs in breezy conditions?
You know what I think I have to agree with you! Because I just ran into a situation where the winds started kicking up after I was out a pretty good distance and usually my little drone can handle these situations and come back home but this time it gave me all kinds of problems and decided to do a forced Landing pretty far back from where I wanted it to be! I don't have all the proof yet but I did feel a difference with the new props being possibly suspect!

Could you put on original MP blades to resolve the wind issue then on non breezy days fly with the MPP blades?

If you knew this ahead of time would you have not made the MPP purchase?
This is kind of confirming my thoughts on these new props possibly not being as responsive in the high winds because the basic props usually would be fine and get me home but I last trip unfortunately I was not so lucky

I just had a similar situation with my MPP flying against the wind at around 150ft. UAV forecast indicated winds of 15 mph at that altitude but it wasn't making any progress in normal P-mode, and whilst it did eventually get back in sport mode, it was by no means easy. I'll try re-calibrating the IMU and see if it makes any difference (I haven't done any calibrations since delivery) but, as mentioned above, I was wondering if anyone had fitted the standard props to their MPP and see if that made a difference?
I just made some recent comments on the opposite side of that with my regular mavic Pro with the new props and I feel the new props or not as responsive. I did end up losing my mavic to a forced Landing and right now I am still looking for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman