DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Is this the END? Our boat is stranded on a reef

Vernon

Reactions
What a terrible night, stuck on a reef, wind howling and all alone! At 4am we were awakened by a super strong squall rolling over us. Within minutes our anchor had dragged and we were blown sideways onto a coral reef. In crazy wild condition we did what we could to free her but once we realised that there was no water coming aboard and we were in no immediate danger, we calmed down and thought logically about our situation. Its the first time since becoming parents that we were faced with a situation that could really put our baby in danger. Scary!We didnt get much footage during the actual "grounding" stage so we did a debrief the next morning, as much for ourselves as for you viewers. Here was discuss what we could have done to prevent the situation and discover that both of us found silver linings.
Enjoy

hi both and baby, oh holy sh....I am sorry for that and I wish you good luck! Hopefully the boat is still seaworthy 👍👍🍀🍀
cheers Paul
Thanks Paul. We are all ok and the boat will be fine after some hard sweaty boatyard days.

Yep, I really hope it wont be happening again! We are in Indonesia.
I suspected Indo. The bullet storms come out of no where with ferocity on the west coast Sumatera, often catching out the locals (Nias area)

Wow! I'm glad y'all are ok.

Reactions: sarahb and Vernon
First, I'm glad you, Marie and your baby are OK. Also glad the boat didn't suffer irreparable damage. Having been through a typhoon in a U.S. Navy ship, I can understand the vicious nature of the wind and waves. I can't imagine what it would be like in a smaller craft such as yours especially with your family to worry about as well. Good luck with the repairs. Looking forward to seeing you back on the open sea!

Reactions: Vernon
Thank you for sharing this, very glad you and your family are safe. Sounds like a thunderhead downdraft hit your location from the side. I’ve been desert camping when they’ve hit and they would have blown away our camp if we had not seen the dust clouds coming towards us from across the valley. Being hit by one at night while in a boat sounds like lot more serious of a situation.

Reactions: Vernon
I suspected Indo. The bullet storms come out of no where with ferocity on the west coast Sumatera, often catching out the locals (Nias area)
Yeah, had them before but never really over 40kts. Close to the equator, the temps and humidity play big role.

Yeah I dont know as we obviously couldn't see it coming but it felt like a wall of wind, just coming from no-where. Very intense.

First, I'm glad you, Marie and your baby are OK. Also glad the boat didn't suffer irreparable damage. Having been through a typhoon in a U.S. Navy ship, I can understand the vicious nature of the wind and waves. I can't imagine what it would be like in a smaller craft such as yours especially with your family to worry about as well. Good luck with the repairs. Looking forward to seeing you back on the open sea!
Thanks! Yeah pretty scary for sure and as it was the first SHITuation we've experienced with a baby it was extra intense. It made us stronger though. 👍

Reactions: Prop Wash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078