DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NOVICE photographer

Flyn2024

Reactions
As a Person who has not done much Downloading and saving.
What simple instructions can be learned to download, save and assemble pictures in time stamp order ?
Example (a construction projects Daily progress)
I'm thinking that I should get a separate storage device once I learn the technique

Last edited:
As a Person who has not done much Downloading and saving.
What simple instructions can be learned to download, save and assemble pictures in time stamp order ?
Example (a construction projects Daily progress)
I'm thinking that I should get a separate storage device once I learn the technique
The simplest thing is to download the files to your computer and view them with the native file manager, Explorer for Windows. Choose a thumbnail view of the file directory. By default, the file list will be displayed by name, but you can sort by date if you choose. (If you keep the DJI file names, the date and time are embodied in the file names, so sorting by file name or date will show the same result.)

You can create subdirectories to organize your files by project.

If you need a good basic photo editor, try Irfranview, free from www.irfanview.com

The simplest thing is to download the files to your computer and view them with the native file manager, Explorer for Windows. Choose a thumbnail view of the file directory. By default, the file list will be displayed by name, but you can sort by date if you choose. (If you keep the DJI file names, the date and time are embodied in the file names, so sorting by file name or date will show the same result.)

You can create subdirectories to organize your files by project.

If you need a good basic photo editor, try Irfranview, free from www.irfanview.com
Im currently running a apple computer and not enjoying the way D J I interacts

Similar to MS Coast said, I save mine in folder with the name of the location and date in the title. For example: Squire Park 08-03-2024. If I am shooting stills and video, I will put them in sub folders named Stills and Video. On top of that, I put them under the drone used, so a file tree looks like this:
C:\Drones\Mavic 3 Pro\Squire Park 08-03-2024\Stills
or
C:\Drones\Mavic 3 Pro\Squire Park 08-03-2024\Video

It may seem like a lot of work, but I have used it going back to my film days (over 40 years). Even though I have over 300GB of files, I can usually find what I looking for in short order.

While we are on the topic of storage, one VERY important word: BACKUP!!!
Back up all your work, preferably to an external source like the cloud, and on a daily basis with an automatically run program. That way, should a catastrophe strike like a hard drive failure or fire, you won't lose all your work.

(If you keep the DJI file names, the date and time are embodied in the file names, so sorting by file name or date will show the same result.)
If you use the "details" view in explorer you can right-click on "view" and select "choose details" option.
Once there scroll down the list and tick the " date modified" box and perhaps the "date created" box then click perhaps "OK".
You can then sort by either of those columns.

For me, I recollect that date-created tends to be the date on which the file was created on the computer ( this relates primarily to logs ) but the date-modified entries seem to correspond to the date/time that the file was crested on the original device.
Once sorted by date-x the sorting seem to hold if I choose a different view mode.

If you use the "details" view in explorer you can right-click on "view" and select "choose details" option.
Once there scroll down the list and tick the " date modified" box and perhaps the "date created" box then click perhaps "OK".
You can then sort by either of those columns.

For me, I recollect that date-created tends to be the date on which the file was created on the computer ( this relates primarily to logs ) but the date-modified entries seem to correspond to the date/time that the file was crested on the original device.
Once sorted by date-x the sorting seem to hold if I choose a different view mode.
as a example I have set up waypoints to photograph the North ,South ,East and West Views of a NEW HOME BUILD so I would need to separate each Directional View

Similar to MS Coast said, I save mine in folder with the name of the location and date in the title. For example: Squire Park 08-03-2024. If I am shooting stills and video, I will put them in sub folders named Stills and Video. On top of that, I put them under the drone used, so a file tree looks like this:
C:\Drones\Mavic 3 Pro\Squire Park 08-03-2024\Stills
or
C:\Drones\Mavic 3 Pro\Squire Park 08-03-2024\Video

It may seem like a lot of work, but I have used it going back to my film days (over 40 years). Even though I have over 300GB of files, I can usually find what I looking for in short order.

While we are on the topic of storage, one VERY important word: BACKUP!!!
Back up all your work, preferably to an external source like the cloud, and on a daily basis with an automatically run program. That way, should a catastrophe strike like a hard drive failure or fire, you won't lose all your work.
Very helpful information I assume I need to get better Hardware (my 14 Year Old Mac won't Do)

as a example I have set up waypoints to photograph the North ,South ,East and West Views of a NEW HOME BUILD so I would need to separate each Directional View
OK,
If you can not tell N,S,E,W from the actual photos of a given flight e.g. shadow directions combined with time stamps there are several possible approaches to this.

1) Which should, I think, work. Obtain the phantomhelp or flight reader CSV of the .txt flight log and check for "true" entries in the column "CAMERA.isPhoto".
IF you find any ( there is a bit of debate whether or not the log faithfully records EVERY photo taking and I have not checked this ) then check the columns "GIMBAL.yaw" and or "GIMBAL.yaw [360]", those will give you the direction of the gimbal at that time.

NOTE I suspect that the columm records when the shutter is PARTIALLY depressed AS WELL as fully depressed so no every group of trues may represent the taking of a photo, but generally I suspect actual photos will have longer groups of true that partial shutter presses.

2) Again, in windows explorer, select "choose details" and scroll slowly through the list and see if you can see anything that might be direction related. If so tick etc. that column and see what it contains.

3) install an EXIF reader and use that to check all the META data for a direction. I use "Picture Information Extractor". I think, NOTE think, I have seen direction data somewhere in there but I am not certain.

Last edited:
I wonder if you may be over thinking this. It seems like your end result is to show the progress of the construction.

Instead of taking 4 individual photographs (N, S, E, W) change your waypoints to start the video at the first point and end at the last one. Set a Point Of Interest (POI) to the center of the house and align each waypoint with the POI.

Create a folder to hold your videos for the project and put each video there. Choose a descriptive name (i.e. HouseProgress) and use a sequential number for each video (HouseProgress1.mp4, HouseProgress2.mp4 ...). This way they will be in chronological order when you go to edit them.

If you stay with photographs use a similar naming technique but incorporate the direction, which will always be in the same order (HouseProgressYYYMMDDN1.DNG, HouseProgressYYYMMDDS1.DNG ...). YYYMMDD is the date of the shoot to keep them in chronological order. However, they will not be in direction order (NWSE) so you may want to devise a numbering scheme for this.

Reactions: MS Coast
I wonder if you may be over thinking this. It seems like your end result is to show the progress of the construction.

Instead of taking 4 individual photographs (N, S, E, W) change your waypoints to start the video at the first point and end at the last one. Set a Point Of Interest (POI) to the center of the house and align each waypoint with the POI.

Create a folder to hold your videos for the project and put each video there. Choose a descriptive name (i.e. HouseProgress) and use a sequential number for each video (HouseProgress1.mp4, HouseProgress2.mp4 ...). This way they will be in chronological order when you go to edit them.

If you stay with photographs use a similar naming technique but incorporate the direction, which will always be in the same order (HouseProgressYYYMMDDN1.DNG, HouseProgressYYYMMDDS1.DNG ...). YYYMMDD is the date of the shoot to keep them in chronological order. However, they will not be in direction order (NWSE) so you may want to devise a numbering scheme for this.
EXCELLENT ADVISE THANKS

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameslee17