DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Novice Pilot needing recommendations

I'm wondering why the lights aren't set up as per commercial aircraft and boats. That is red on port, green on starboard and white up front. It would help visualising the drone orientation in some conditions.
White is actually rear. I set my drone up in standard aircraft fashion with aftermarket lights that were much brighter than oem.
1600556902491.jpeg

That is red on port, green on starboard and white up front.

Off topic slightly (and I can't speak for boats) but the white light on an aircraft is at the back (or on the wingtips but only visible from behind), not the front.

Edit: @Thomas B - you beat me to it!

Reactions: Thomas B
Yeah, my bad. White at the rear of a plane. Althought there are two on a boat - a wide angle looking forward and a narrower one at the rear (depending on the size of the vessel).

Welcome to the forum [emoji106][emoji3]
Here you will find many good friendly helpful advice
I have a extended landing gear on my mini drone and I have two strobe lights for night flying

1st and foremost: Welcome to the forums. You are a rare breed to be requesting assistance to help you become the best pilot you know. As you have learned, old habits may not always work in new environments. As a newcomer, and as time goes by, questions and comments are willingly accepted and responded to.

Since I do not know which drone you pilot, I will inform you if your drone is the Mavic Mini, it does not need to be registered if, and only if, it remains under the 250g weight limit. If it at any time is over 250g then yes it must be registered. Easily accomplished on the FAA.org web site.

There are numerous apps available to assist you in determining when and where you may fly. AIRMAP is one such popular app, available for IOS and Android. There are more.

Strobe lights are used by many pilots to assist in maintaining VIsual Line Of Sight, VLOS. A search of the forums will help you decide which strobes you desire. There is no rule of how many or placement or color. Many people follow the same placement as manned aircraft.

Many folk have a keen eye, but many need assistance with their vision. Some have tried larger cell phones, larger iPads, or even dedicated controllers (not available for all aircraft). Again, a search of the forums will help with this quest.

Members of the Forum are plentiful and many are extremely knowledgeable and well experienced. You undertook a brave first step by asking questions. Commendable! Many wait until their drone has crashed and been destroyed, I urge you to continue the fun and excitement of being a drone pilot. Peruse the FAA.gov site in the DRONEzone arena, many questions can be answered there. If not, the forums will provide a plethora of responses.

Do NOT hesitate to search through the forum using key words for various subjects you wish to learn of. Many good folks are here, ready, willing, and extremely knowledgeable who are simply waiting and willing to assist you and everyone else.

Again welcome to the wonderful world of drones. I wish you the very best in all your flights.

R,
Jeffrey
Jeff, your courtesy along with your polite answers are a nice change .....
some in this forum have serious issues with being ugly

Reactions: theDRONEranger

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S