DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NPS Drone Day

Donleyco

Reactions
First time poster, but long time reader of weekly summaries. A great community and fascinating posts.

Read lots of discussion about restrictions in the National Park Service. Now is the time to ask for permission to fly on a limited basis. I suggest we request one day next year to fly in one Park. If we can demonstrate a responsible and popular event, the request can expand in coming years to more parks. The UAV community is large and can be powerful. If all of us focus on a reasonable request it will be hard to deny. As a new activity, mountain bikers had to work at getting access. Today biking is accepted with certain restrictions. I have mountain biked and observed their trail damage which is far greater than a drone flying overhead.

For this year, we should select one Park. This forum can explore the options. We should not request one of the big name Parks; Yellowstone, Yosemite, Rocky Mountain, Grand Canyon, Everglades, Great Smoky or Glacier. Drones will disturb the enjoyment for too many other people. NPS has beautiful, large parks with fewer visitors. The local superintendents might welcome the exposure. Others parks are Recreation Areas with less resource value. Parks near population centers have tradeoffs concerning our accessibility versus more visitors. Local issues can affect drone flight such as tree cover. Choosing a park requires thoughtful consideration and we must welcome the guidance of Park staff. Of course, its a big country and some will live a thousand miles away (or ten thousand). Keep the big picture in mind and work together. Maybe its worth a whole vacation week just for the one day opportunity!

Perhaps a nearby hotel with meeting rooms can host everyone. This creates a way to meet fellow pilots and learn something new.

After picking a site, the day of the event should get consideration. It must avoid sensitive wildlife activities, such as raptor nesting. Weather is essential. Avoiding cold or hot days, windy conditions and frequent precipitation should be a priority. Weather conditions are always uncertain yet we can improve our chances for success by picking the right day.

This forum could explore proper etiquette for the event. Are flights/paths coordinated? Notifying would be other visitors is important and NPS should participate. Wildlife harassment must be prohibited. We should discuss what constitutes harassment but that is for a different post.

The campaign involves multiple activities. It starts with the National Park Service. They may offer guidance on candidate parks. If a negative answer comes back, we talk to the selected Park's local Chamber of Commerce, media and even Congress. I am not the one to lead the effort, hope I am just a creative voice. A spokesman with experience in the matters should be identified. Someone with knowledge and tact. Perhaps a committee can offer strategy and guidance. Sounds messy, but maybe an existing organization takes the lead. We may not agree with their decisions, but success depends on a loyal community. Your opinion is important, then let the process take its course.

A successful effort will give the UAV community respect and standing.

My goal in 5 years is to have one day in each park. Imagine someday organizing a long trip visiting a different park each day.

Can't wait to see hundreds of videos of a park posted from all of you!

@Donleyco a very noble idea ,and it would help to promote the hobby if it could be done

I'm hoping to use some FAA insider people to get in touch with the new Secretary of the Interior. One of the things we'll discuss is limited access to NPS property.

... although given the political bent of Ms. Haaland (current nominee), I'm not holding my breath.

... although given the political bent of Ms. Haaland (current nominee), I'm not holding my breath.
I have a professional relationship with many federal lands managers (USFS, NPS, BLM, etc.) and I have a deep awareness of how those lands are used. Haaland is much more likely to consider this idea than the prior SIs, who were beholden to commercial interests and especially industrial resource extractors and land-destroying ranchers. And unlike prior SIs, she has no history as a lobbyist or intimate relations to exploitation entities, either. We may actually have an SI who cares about federal lands and understands that they belong to all of us, not just to corporate/commercial/industrial exploiters. This would represent a radical change from the prior administration's practices.

Good luck and I hope it will happens

I can see it now they say ok you travel 3000 miles cross country for a day at the Grand Canyon Pouring rain and high winds the day of the shoot travel 3000 miles home $2000 dolllars poorer and no video.:mad::confused::(

Reactions: halifax
We wonder if this (granted great idea) might be a bit too ambitious at the 'Get-go'?

Perhaps a similar basic idea, based on the 'KISS' principle might be a better approach, to get things 'Off The Ground'? (Sorry.)

Rgds, NAVMAV

I'm hoping to use some FAA insider people to get in touch with the new Secretary of the Interior. One of the things we'll discuss is limited access to NPS property.
Please ask them to inquire about who would be first contact.

We wonder if this (granted great idea) might be a bit too ambitious at the 'Get-go'?

Perhaps a similar basic idea, based on the 'KISS' principle might be a better approach, to get things 'Off The Ground'? (Sorry.)

Rgds, NAVMAV
Brings to mind H.L. Menchen.

I can see it now they say ok you travel 3000 miles cross country for a day at the Grand Canyon Pouring rain and high winds the day of the shoot travel 3000 miles home $2000 dolllars poorer and no video.:mad::confused::(
Grand Canyon would be great this time of year...Sunny days, no rain. Wind could be an issue. The exposed promontory should decrease the higher winds aloft.
The Village is a mad house everyday and a mass of circling drones would destroy the ambiance. Maybe Desert View or perhaps someone knows a more remote launch site. I think the glass is half fulll!

Maybe seeking permission on federal lands where off road vehicles are allowed would have less push back. I realize the parallel is tenuous, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I have a professional relationship with many federal lands managers (USFS, NPS, BLM, etc.) and I have a deep awareness of how those lands are used. Haaland is much more likely to consider this idea than the prior SIs, who were beholden to commercial interests and especially industrial resource extractors and land-destroying ranchers. And unlike prior SIs, she has no history as a lobbyist or intimate relations to exploitation entities, either. We may actually have an SI who cares about federal lands and understands that they belong to all of us, not just to corporate/commercial/industrial exploiters. This would represent a radical change from the prior administration's practices.
I will deeply dis agree with your calling ranchers “land destroying”. On the contrary ranchers are there protecting the land and building it up. I have had great luck requesting permission to access their land. They make un-useable land useable by installing ponds and cisterns. Without which wildlife could not survive in the numbers they do. If you would like to fly on their land, it is very often an easy knock and ask. If all they did was extract the resources, they would have nothing to give to the children.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Maybe seeking permission on federal lands where off road vehicles are allowed would have less push back. I realize the parallel is tenuous, but you get the idea.

Good thought. NPS typically prohibits ATV. There were 12 parks that allowed ATVs in 2013 and the list is shrinking. Still the remaining places make great candidates. Certainly the "solitude" goals of NPS are lost where ATVs travel. Got any preferences?

Gateway National Recreation Area (NRA), Sandy Hook NJ
Lake Meredith NRA, TX
Assateague National Seashore, MD
Cape Cod National Seashore, MA
Cape Hatteras National Seashore, MA
Fire Island National Seashore, NY
Gulf Islands National Seashore, MS
Padre Island National Seashores, TX
Glen Canyon NRA, UT
Curecanti NRA, CO
Cape Lookout National Seashore, NC
Big Cypress National Preserve, FL (For our friend from Daytona. Some must travel 2000 miles and it is frequently rainy.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird