DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYC’s Mass Burial Ground, Hart Island

cheezstake

Reactions
Pretty cool location in New York, has lots of history, and lots of abandoned buildings, which i find super interesting.

Had never heard of it before - thanks for the post
And this from Wikipedia
The remains of more than one million people are buried on Hart Island, though since the first decade of the 21st century, there are fewer than 1,500 burials a year. Burials on Hart Island include individuals who were not claimed by their families or did not have private funerals, as well as the homeless and the indigent. Access to the island is restricted by the Department of Correction, which operates an infrequent ferryboat service and imposes strict visitation quotas. Burials are conducted by Rikers Island inmates. The Hart Island Project, a public charity founded by visual artist Melinda Hunt, has tried to improve access to the island and make burial records more easily available.

Reactions: cheezstake
Nice job, but yeah eerie.
Did you fly there from City Island ??
M2P ?

I don't see any sign of fresh gravesites ?
A million plus buried there, wow, no wonder some billionaire hasn't somehow acquired it as a bolthole.

Love google maps, it is coloured green, is it some sort of special reserve ? (Edit, just saw your post @Mavic Mac )
Amazing position, any real estate person would love to get the job of selling this.
Still hard to get over the numbers of people interned there, would give a chill down the spine at times being there.

Thank you for this awesome video and bringing to us the memory of the forsaken souls whose bodies were buried in that land in this ethereal mix of beauty and melancholy.

Also the mortar and bricks job reminds me of some local places including stuff that I've shot with my Mavic Mini.
See: Your best Pictures to date (not videos)s
or this frame grab
dusk_dawn_fx_000000-jpg.97384

Last edited:
Great video. Made me watch some YT docs on the island. I see that City island and Hart are just outside LGA Class B airspace but what about that silly 70 year old NYC law outlawing aircraft taking off and landing in NYC? (including all the 5 boroughs)

Thanks for posting this. I have a brother who was buried there back in the early 40s. He died about 30 minutes after birth. In those days it was common practice to bury stillborns. etc. there. Still when I found this out some years back it disturbed me as they are buried in mass graves.

Thanks for posting this. I have a brother who was buried there back in the early 40s. He died about 30 minutes after birth. In those days it was common practice to bury stillborns. etc. there. Still when I found this out some years back it disturbed me as they are buried in mass graves.

Might be worth taking a look at that info in post #3, about the Hart Is project ?

Nice job, but yeah eerie.
Did you fly there from City Island ??
M2P ?

I don't see any sign of fresh gravesites ?
A million plus buried there, wow, no wonder some billionaire hasn't somehow acquired it as a bolthole.

Love google maps, it is coloured green, is it some sort of special reserve ? (Edit, just saw your post @Mavic Mac )
Amazing position, any real estate person would love to get the job of selling this.
Still hard to get over the numbers of people interned there, would give a chill down the spine at times being there.

I took off from city island, and with the virus, there was no one around me so it was nice. If you go to 1:44 on the video and pause it, you can see the active trench they are using to bury people. The white stick looking things are the grave stones. Not sure exactly what the island would be classified as, but I would guess some type of park or historic site.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Sad to hear that about your brother.
From looking at the Hart Island Project web page is looks like accurate records only go back to 1980 ☹

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom