DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NYC Drone proposal will restrict many and make flights costly, littered with red tape. This should concern all of us.

BetterBizWorks

Reactions
Site
www.betterbiztech.com
I got this letter from the AMA. As an active pilot this should concern everyone.

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has proposed regulations that would affect the flying of unmanned aircraft within New York City (NYC). This proposal would affect all model aircraft and drones, and require a detailed, lengthy, and costly permitting process. The good news is that the proposal provides an exemption for model aircraft flown at areas designated by the Department of Parks and Recreation. Fortunately, all of our chartered AMA clubs within the five burroughs are located at designated parks; however, all is not assured for our continued model aircraft operations and your help is needed.
Although our AMA clubs in city parks have an exemption in the NYPD’s draft proposal, there are no guarantees the exemption will remain in the final regulation. This is why your participation is critical! To help ensure that the exemption for NYPD Model Aircraft and Drone Permits remains for our chartered club flying fields, AMA is asking for your voice. As residents, taxpayers, city employees, retirees, or otherwise involved and responsible community members, your timely input and comments are critical. We need to tell the NYPD why the exemption is of vital importance for our community-based, family-oriented activity.
There are several ways that you can provide your comments to the NYPD. The first method listed below is provided by AMA as a convenient way to respond. Feel free to use any of the methods that work best for you. I would encourage you to have your significant others and family members to respond as well. Please note the important deadlines.
Utilize AMA’s government advocacy tool before July 7, 2023:
o https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl.fastly.net/promo/5Pi
Visiting NYC rules website before July 7, 2023:
o https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/rule/applications-to-launch-or-land-an-unmanned-aircraft-including-a-drone/
Email the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o [email protected].
Mail your written comments before July 7, 2023:
o NYPD Legal Bureau at One Police Plaza, Room 1406, New York, NY 10038 c/o Agency Attorney Melanie Braverman
Fax your written comments to the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o (646) 610-8428
Speaking at the public hearing (register by June 30, 2023)
o 10 a.m. on July 7, 2023, in the auditorium on the first floor of 1 Police Plaza, New York, NY 10038. You must sign up to speak by calling (646) 610-5400 and asking for Melanie Braverman or by emailing your name and affiliation to [email protected] by June 30, 2023!
You can read the full text of the NYPD proposal here: https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NYPD-Proposed-Rule-Take-Off-and-Landing-of-Unmanned-Aircraft.pdf.
On behalf of AMA and all of our NYC clubs and members, I thank you for being safe and responsible modelers. Should you have questions please feel free to reach out to me at (518) 356-2057 or [email protected].
My best,
EricWilliams-150_2400604.png

Eric Williams
AMA Vice President, District II

Reactions: projectarjun
I got this letter from the AMA. As an active pilot this should concern everyone.

The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has proposed regulations that would affect the flying of unmanned aircraft within New York City (NYC). This proposal would affect all model aircraft and drones, and require a detailed, lengthy, and costly permitting process. The good news is that the proposal provides an exemption for model aircraft flown at areas designated by the Department of Parks and Recreation. Fortunately, all of our chartered AMA clubs within the five burroughs are located at designated parks; however, all is not assured for our continued model aircraft operations and your help is needed.
Although our AMA clubs in city parks have an exemption in the NYPD’s draft proposal, there are no guarantees the exemption will remain in the final regulation. This is why your participation is critical! To help ensure that the exemption for NYPD Model Aircraft and Drone Permits remains for our chartered club flying fields, AMA is asking for your voice. As residents, taxpayers, city employees, retirees, or otherwise involved and responsible community members, your timely input and comments are critical. We need to tell the NYPD why the exemption is of vital importance for our community-based, family-oriented activity.
There are several ways that you can provide your comments to the NYPD. The first method listed below is provided by AMA as a convenient way to respond. Feel free to use any of the methods that work best for you. I would encourage you to have your significant others and family members to respond as well. Please note the important deadlines.
Utilize AMA’s government advocacy tool before July 7, 2023:
o https://oneclickpolitics.global.ssl.fastly.net/promo/5Pi
Visiting NYC rules website before July 7, 2023:
o https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/rule/applications-to-launch-or-land-an-unmanned-aircraft-including-a-drone/
Email the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o [email protected].
Mail your written comments before July 7, 2023:
o NYPD Legal Bureau at One Police Plaza, Room 1406, New York, NY 10038 c/o Agency Attorney Melanie Braverman
Fax your written comments to the NYPD before July 7, 2023:
o (646) 610-8428
Speaking at the public hearing (register by June 30, 2023)
o 10 a.m. on July 7, 2023, in the auditorium on the first floor of 1 Police Plaza, New York, NY 10038. You must sign up to speak by calling (646) 610-5400 and asking for Melanie Braverman or by emailing your name and affiliation to [email protected] by June 30, 2023!
You can read the full text of the NYPD proposal here: https://rules.cityofnewyork.us/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/NYPD-Proposed-Rule-Take-Off-and-Landing-of-Unmanned-Aircraft.pdf.
On behalf of AMA and all of our NYC clubs and members, I thank you for being safe and responsible modelers. Should you have questions please feel free to reach out to me at (518) 356-2057 or [email protected].
My best,
EricWilliams-150_2400604.png

Eric Williams
AMA Vice President, District II
A full explanation appeared here on this topic last week by ViC Moss, and I wrote a letter at that time. We should all be pro-active in this endeavor.

Dale

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne