DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle avoidance constantly alerts and stops aircraft

MT_Brian

Reactions
Hello pilots!

My first post to here, though I've been reading and learning for a very long time.

Unfortunately I crashed my drone this past weekend (Mavic 2 Pro)....trying to do a 2-axis turn around the corner of a fire tower and got way too close.

It wasn't too bad of a crash, and after replacing 2 broken propellors she flies just fine and had very little visible damage, however, I cannot use the obstacle avoidance system. If I have it turned on, it alerts constantly and will not allow my drone to move. When I turn OFF obstacle avoidance, everything seems to work as it should and she flies fine.

I would be super grateful for any troubleshooting advice anyone may have!

I was an F-16 Crew Chief in the USAF, so I'm familiar with aircraft repair ;-)

Thank you in advance!

--Brian

Hello pilots!

My first post to here, though I've been reading and learning for a very long time.

Unfortunately I crashed my drone this past weekend (Mavic 2 Pro)....trying to do a 2-axis turn around the corner of a fire tower and got way too close.

It wasn't too bad of a crash, and after replacing 2 broken propellors she flies just fine and had very little visible damage, however, I cannot use the obstacle avoidance system. If I have it turned on, it alerts constantly and will not allow my drone to move. When I turn OFF obstacle avoidance, everything seems to work as it should and she flies fine.

I would be super grateful for any troubleshooting advice anyone may have!

I was an F-16 Crew Chief in the USAF, so I'm familiar with aircraft repair ;-)

Thank you in advance!

--Brian

Could be as simple as a loose connector on one of the sensors after the crash.

One thing to try is to calibrate the vision system. How To Calibrate Mavic 2 Vision Sensor And Fixing System Error - DroneZon

If that doesn't work, then there's most likely internal damage (perhaps a cracked circuit board). Can't help with that..

Thanks! I tried calibrating the vision system, but when I have the aircraft in regular orientation, it keeps telling me to rotate 90degrees. When I do that, the calibration protocol starts, but I cannot complete the process as the blue box indicating my vision system won't move all the ways that the calibration wants it to.

The first thing I will do is to isolate the problem by checking which 3D camera is bad. Power on the craft and RC, turn on obstacle avoidance, turn on the radar chart. Hold the craft with your hand. Point each 3D camera ( front, back, bottom ) to some well-lit objects in turns from a distance of half to one meter. Does the radar chart ( for front/back camera ) and the VPS figure ( for the bottom camera ) on the GO app show the correct distance from the object ?

Last edited:
.... cannot complete the process as the blue box indicating my vision system won't move all the ways that the calibration wants it to.

My guess is that one or both of the front cameras are no longer pointing forward after the crash and the displacement is too much to be compensated for by calibration. If that's really the case, you will have to open up the drone to fix it.

Thanks for your suggestions! I ended up opening up the aircraft, removing and reinstalling the forward vision sensors, checking tightness on all visible connectors, etc then putting everything back together. I was then able to get through the calibration process successfully and at least with my first short test flight, everything seems to be fine. Perhaps a loose connection somewhere? In any case, happy to have full functionality back, and indeed impressed with the durability of these things!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61