DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle Course

Gimbal2019

Reactions
I really enjoy flying my Mavic Air 1 but now as my confidence is building I would like to try flying in confined spaces. I am using my MA1 but do not want to hurt it (which I will) - it is just to expensive to try go thru tight places for no real reason - other than WOW I actually did it without crashing.
So I want to set up an obstacle course in my back yard and start practicing.
Does anyone else do this and what drone would you suggest. I'm thinking FPV ? as opposed to normal camera view?
I also think a drone with prop guards would be a big plus.
I think I can break the drone but don't want to break the bank.
FPV racing is not my style - just way to fast - my reaction time is not what it used to be LOL - much prefer slow and easy.
Any Ideas on a drone to use??

. . . So I want to set up an obstacle course in my back yard and start practicing. . . .
[/QUOTE]

Kids playgrounds serve nicely as obstacle courses.

Reactions: bcfd29
Let me just say you shouldn't start flying through playgrounds and obstacles with your MA1. I will probably get a lot of crap for saying this but come to the dark side and start flying FPV. Thats where you are headed and don't know it yet. I have a MA1 and I really like it but it's just not enough. It's boring actually (thats just my opion) unless I'm actually trying to get a shot of something in a solid hover. I can get great shots with my GoPro on my FPV dornes but I dont get the rock solid steady shot. I havent used it in over a year now. Look into becoming a pilot and not an operator LOL. (Thats a joke guys so dont get mad. ) Save the money you would use to repair your MA1 and spend it on an FPV drone so you can really fly through things and spend money on repairing that instead. It will change your life :) Look into Tiny Whoops as a place to start.

I do a little bit of this in my local park. I set the gimbal to FPV because it gives me some feedback. I turn off obstacle avoidance and have a propeller guard installed at all times and spare guards in my bag. I also take off my Master Airscrew propellers and put on some cheap knock-offs. I do keep my speed down because like others have said this is a fairly expensive toy to crash. Obstacle training has, however, greatly improved my flying skills in general.

Reactions: netling
How about...if you have some tables or such at different heights, then set 4 or 5 up around a course and then stick some spaghetti into a small ball of some putty/plasticine and set up some 'gates' to fly through. They'll be about 300mm high. If you hit the spaghetti (use the thinnest you can get)...no problem - just a time penalty. Fly through forward, backwards, sideways. Tripod mode, normal and sport. Hours of fun for the whole family!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake