DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining Canadian approval for flight over US soil?

tstr14

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As Monty Python said, "And now for something completely different!"

I have relatives that live in the Bay Mills/Brimley area of Michigan's upper peninsula. Even though the area is in the US, it is close enough to an airport in Sault St Marie, CA that it falls within NAV-Canada control. Has anyone ever encountered such a situation and who in Nav-Canada would I contact? The area in question is a family owned cabin and I wanted to take aerial photos/video of the site.

Bay Mills.jpg

NAV Canada says it's not their problem... 🙄
I would fly using the FAA rules for that airport. I would get the appropriate permissions from the FAA. By VERY aware of whats going on around you. A VFR low altitude sectional of the area would be a good thing to check. Maybe give the people at the airport a courtesy call if you are flying that close with permission.

I would fly using the FAA rules for that airport. I would get the appropriate permissions from the FAA. By VERY aware of whats going on around you. A VFR low altitude sectional of the area would be a good thing to check. Maybe give the people at the airport a courtesy call if you are flying that close with permission.
Because the airport is located in Canada, I do not know if they abide by FAA rules. I will most likely be contacting them, but at this point, I'm not warm and fuzzy that the matter will be resolved.

Your location is in U.S. Class D controlled airspace. LAANC services are not available, so you'll need to apply for authorization through the FAA Drone Zone website.

Screenshot 2024-08-28 110010.jpg
ArcGIS Web Application. (You'll need to scroll to the location for both websites.)

Screenshot 2024-08-28 110236.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
Because the airport is located in Canada, I do not know if they abide by FAA rules. I will most likely be contacting them, but at this point, I'm not warm and fuzzy that the matter will be resolved.
The airport is not regulated by the FAA. The airspace where you want to fly is. Follow whatever the FAA rules are.

Your location is in U.S. Class D controlled airspace. LAANC services are not available, so you'll need to apply for authorization through the FAA Drone Zone website.

ArcGIS Web Application. (You'll need to scroll to the location for both websites.)

I did apply. Here's the reply I got:

Good Day,

I am working your UAS submission to fly at Sault Ste. Marie. The airspace you are in is stewarded by Nav-Canada; not the FAA. We cannot help you. I would if I could but I don’t even have a contact or starting point for you. I will cancel this submission. Perhaps the Help Desk can point you in the right direction? I am afraid this is out of my realm. Be well.

Best of days,

WOW hhmmmm.. Who needs a FRIA when you can just stumble upon airspace no country wants.
Perhaps you can make a claim for it and create your own Aviation Regulations!.
That would be nice: "MY aviation Administration would allow VLOS with tiny whoops". Also any pilot navigating MY Airspace MUST wear a special T-shirt available at my website Just Click "Required equipment for purchase" and under the list select clothing and then T-shirts and add to Cart. Know of any land available under that space? lol.
I wouldnt do it BUT I am sure if you flew without asking You would find out quickly who regulates that space.
I would simply inform the airport that You have found that neither the U.S. Nor Canada wishes to claim their airspace and your letters to Rod Serling to inquire about The rules and Regs regarding Drones within the Twilight Zone have gone unanswered.
Just joking BUT whatever you do make sure to stay well clear of other aircraft, Be aware, and do your very best to communicate with the authorities ( even if they don't want to admit they are the authorities).
Perhaps a letter or E-mail to the FAA about this?

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluffman2