DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obtaining the FAA 107 license?

Rguinn1207

Reactions
Thinking about moving onward and upwards, (pun intended)... Can anyone suggest a path to take? Take one of these online "schools"? Or read it on my own and pray for the best?
If using one of the online schools can anyone suggest a great one to take?

Again, Thanks in advance....

Thinking about moving onward and upwards, (pun intended)... Can anyone suggest a path to take? Take one of these online "schools"? Or read it on my own and pray for the best?

I’m sure if you made the effort you could figure it out yourself and learn it all for free but if you want to learn as efficiently as possible and learn only the most up to date material I would do a paid course. Most of the paid program give you lifetime access so you can use the same thing to study for your recurring test. Therefore you don’t have to look at the paid course as having exhausted its value once you pass.

I did Kings Schools and was happy with it. It’s one of the less well known ones though. I’m sure there will be other recommendations.

I’m sure if you made the effort you could figure it out yourself and learn it all for free but if you want to learn as efficiently as possible and learn only the most up to date material I would do a paid course. Most of the paid program give you lifetime access so you can use the same thing to study for your recurring test. Therefore you don’t have to look at the paid course as having exhausted its value once you pass.

I did Kings Schools and was happy with it. It’s one of the less well known ones though. I’m sure there will be other recommendations.
Yes for sure, More so I was wondering about the different schools out there? (A ton I'm sure). I will do a littler more digging this weekend, and compare some of the online classes.
Thanks

Yes for sure, More so I was wondering about the different schools out there? (A ton I'm sure). I will do a littler more digging this weekend, and compare some of the online classes.
Thanks
Well I think it’s unlikely there are too many people that have done more than one of them so I’ll at least share my experience with King Schools.

I gave myself 8 hours to study so I really wanted the most to the point no BS I could get because that’s not a lot of time. I knew my biggest area I had to focus on was reading the sectional charts, which is what most of the test is on btw. So I started there and then moved on to the second priority which was weather and so on until I ran out of time.

Each module is in both video and written form. I found the videos helpful with relevant content playing while the instructor spoke. They were scripted so no color commentary which I liked straight to the point.

There were ten test questions after each module many of which ended up being on the actual test.

They have a mobile app so it was convenient to watch on my phone during my down time.

The website look seemed dated but functioned well and all the information was up to date.

They have practice tests and you can program how many questions you want on the practice test so if you only have time for 10 questions it would randomly give you 10 questions and the prorated amount of time. There were plenty of test questions so I didn’t feel like I was getting the same ones all the time.

Like I said I was pleased with it.

Gold Seal is the one I used. Passed first try without a problem. They guarantee you pass or they pay and also an approved vendor on this site

Pilot Institute. Great instructor. 14,000 students. 99.9% get their 107 first time. Teaches fixed wing too. Very deep course. Last time I checked, was offering $100 off to assist those who finances were affected by Covid. Also get a free 40 some lessons on actual pro drone flying. I studied off and on for a month. Passed the test in 30 minutes, 97% correct. And most important, I retained the material. Can’t go wrong with this one.

Reactions: Rguinn1207
after appropriate study....when taking the test. RFQ.. the FAA is great for putting answers that are very close to the wording used in study guides that are wrong and very easy to jump on. Usually if you read all the answers you will realize that but ...anyway...RFQ!

Of course everyone has their own preferences when it comes to how to study, but for myself, there's just so much excellent free information out there that I just can't see spending what some of these sites charge. A good part of the exam is common sense (just read carefully before answering) and yes, there is a fair number of technical questions that do require study-- but not really all that difficult to pass.

I just did this a few weeks ago. I bought two books on Amazon. This one: The Drone Pilot Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Pass the Part 107 Exam and Fly Drones Commercially, Elliott, Zachary, eBook - Amazon.com I read first. The Kindle version was pretty poorly formatted, and the way the material was covered was OK, but not great.

I also bought the paperback version of this: Remote Pilot Test Prep 2020: Study & Prepare: Pass your test and know what is essential to safely operate an unmanned aircraft from the most trusted source in aviation training (Test Prep Series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781619547964: Amazon.com: Books which I found to be very helpful. It includes the FAA supplement (which you should take time to become very familiar with). The book itself has a practice test after each subject section. It also has a code for five full length online practice tests. In addition to this, I watch a half dozen short videos on YouTube, mainly to help me decipher METARs and TAFs. I studied for about a week and half, about 15 hours total. I scored a 92% on the exam.

Reactions: Rguinn1207
Anyone use remotepilot101.com?
I just got my Part 107 and took the remotepilot101 course. I got a discount, I think it was about $100 and reportedly includes life time access. I liked the course but I also watched alot of youtube videos and took lots of online practice tests. Score a 95 on the test...good luck!

I am currently studying to take the Part 107 test and I purchased the book Remote Pilot Test Prep 2020 mentioned by Halcyon above and am well pleased with it.

I also enrolled in the online class Federal Drone Registration website which costs $25 per month to use but it has 30 videos which has really helped understand the regs better plus the have a lot of other good helps such as tests after each section, final prep tests, helps on getting registered for the test plus much more. It is well worth the money to me.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18