DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Off topic, question for Americans (USA), is this a croc or alligator?

It looks to me as if the snout is the wrong shape for an alligator.
Watch: Trapper wrestles massive alligator from US pool

Ahh elsewhere it is described as a croc.
Clearly a crocodile.
The snout is long and pointed rather than short and rounded like this Alligator.
_DSC5178a-XL.jpg

The American crocodile is a rare species, but the Alligator is quite common in Florida.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
That was on Plantation Key, about a third of the way down the keys toward Key West. Several other news reports have it properly identified as a crocodile. Here's one.

Alligators are common throughout the American South, but crocodiles occur only in extreme southern Florida.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I really like the gulf coast area. but these creatures will keep me from ever moving there. If I am close enough to ID it I am way to close

The real difference is - an alligator will see you later, a crocodile - after a while
About 30 years ago, crocodiles were just beginning to show up in the Everglades and a grizzly USPS ranger cautioned us about them when we were leaving the dock in a small sailboat. I assured him I was pretty familiar with alligators and knew how to avoid trouble with them. He said that crocodiles were very different - meaner, faster, stronger, ornerier and liable come after you just for looking at them.

He was very serious. We took the waning seriously, too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer