DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

I am doing longer and longer runs - but really need some definitve guidance from you guys doing the top runs.

I know the received wisdom is to use p mode with obstacle avoidance off - but this thread...

Mavic Battery and Speed efficiency chart

Seems to turn that on its head and say go Sport as fast as you can,

If I am far out and worried about my battery - should I hit sport mode and high tail it home (low if high head wind, stay high if wind behind me) or trust the p mode with full stick forward to be the best chance of a safe return?

If that guys chart is right above it is looking like sport mode all the way?

Actually, I suspect the motorEscTemp is the temp of the ESC circuitry and not the motor itself. The motor doesn't have enough wires for there to be a temp sensor on the motor.

Well, he was talking about perceived temperature when touching motors; however that's a good point. The ESC's actually have a temp sensor as well and that is also worth checking.

I am doing longer and longer runs - but really need some definitve guidance from you guys doing the top runs.

I know the received wisdom is to use p mode with obstacle avoidance off - but this thread...

Mavic Battery and Speed efficiency chart

Seems to turn that on its head and say go Sport as fast as you can,

If I am far out and worried about my battery - should I hit sport mode and high tail it home (low if high head wind, stay high if wind behind me) or trust the p mode with full stick forward to be the best chance of a safe return?

If that guys chart is right above it is looking like sport mode all the way?

It's not that simply. If there's any headwind, sports mode takes a huge dive in efficiency. Now going with the wind, sports mode is quite efficient. You want to go relatively fast, while keeping the motor power around 70-80% or less. Once you push motors to maximum power levels, the efficiency goes WAY down. You can deplete a battery in around 12 minutes if you keep motors maxed out. Anywhere from 30 - 40 mph can be efficient if you're not pushing motors over 80%.

Reactions: doccy
It's not that simply. If there's any headwind, sports mode takes a huge dive in efficiency. Now going with the wind, sports mode is quite efficient. You want to go relatively fast, while keeping the motor power around 70-80% or less. Once you push motors to maximum power levels, the efficiency goes WAY down. You can deplete a battery in around 12 minutes if you keep motors maxed out. Anywhere from 30 - 40 mph can be efficient if you're not pushing motors over 80%.

OK - thanks for that.

it is a bit counter intuitive - I thought you would want to punch through the head wind in as quick a time as possible (i.e. using sport mode).

So aim for 80% efficiency? Are you using RPM to judge that? How do you know you are in the zone?

OK - thanks for that.

it is a bit counter intuitive - I thought you would want to punch through the head wind in as quick a time as possible (i.e. using sport mode).

So aim for 80% efficiency? Are you using RPM to judge that? How do you know you are in the zone?

You need to have your controller set to "sport mode" BEFORE you turn it on. With controller set to sport mode, turn it on. Turn on Mavic last. Now you will see the Tachometer/Power Meter, but Mavic will still be in P-mode. Keep it below 80%. Usually in P-mode full throttle is below 80% unless there is a strong headwind and/or you have added heavy external batteries.

Reactions: doccy
You need to have your controller set to "sport mode" BEFORE you turn it on. With controller set to sport mode, turn it on. Turn on Mavic last. Now you will see the Tachometer/Power Meter, but Mavic will still be in P-mode. Keep it below 80%. Usually in P-mode full throttle is below 80% unless there is a strong headwind and/or you have added heavy external batteries.

Cheers cybernate. Sounds like good advice.

Reactions: CyberNate
Hey guys,

Totally stock. 6,034.5 m or 19,798 feet. Was a low wind day, landed with 18%, I had obstacle avoidance on which slowed me down, but this was more to see the limit of my signal.

The ground on the opposite shore slopes upwards and about 7km is the limit. There's a good spot a few klicks away that I may be able to push over 8k.

Attachments

• IMG_1142.PNG
    IMG_1142.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 97
Intersting to know the maximum distance reached in the city area with all the interferences around..

Hey experts, what are the pro's and con's of powering up the internal battery FIRST before attaching your external battery(s)? Or does it even matter?

Or do what MM does, fly without the internal battery :)

In that case: Don't forget to attach a fluorescent yellow nuke-sticker on top that says: WILL DETONATE WHEN TOUCHED.
Just in case someone thinks "free mavic" when you have to park it a mile away.
On your abomination it surely would look credible.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview