DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Official Mavic Pro Range Leaderboard!

Dude, thats just wrong,all I want is to get to 26k and here you and your kid come with high 27k,,,Fricking show off:p.JK,great runThumbswayup .What speed were you running?
Thats gonna get a couple guys (who shall remain nameless (9/10&11) to go put up 27k numbers and knock me right back to 10:eek:

:) Thank you. I turned off the front sensors so full-stick forward speed is about 32 mph. I maintained that speed out and back. It was a good flight and had a lot of fun.

I will say that this flight exhausted ALL of my battery. I landed on 0% battery. I know it's not good for the battery but I had to get my bird back. I don't know how some guys are getting 28,000 feet out of it. But I have had a lot of fun breaking the 5 mile barrier! :)Thumbswayup

Reactions: beanbubba
Guys what are your opinions on the 4hawks non boosted setup? In general is it better then the itelite or nanosync? 4hawks and itelite i thought were same engineer?

Took a shot at beating my personal best tonight. GPS freaked out when I enabled RTH and went offline... then crashed... ugggg...

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

I had a trackimo on it, hopefully can find it in the morning.
1519461429967.png

Were you using both compasses? That looks exactly like what one of my sparks did when it flew away during RTH.

Did you happen to check whether the distance reading on the RC matched the distance on the app? I've seen the app GPS position freeze when a compass error happens, but the RC still shows distance updates.

Your log shows the same position for a few minutes at the end which is almost impossible in ATTI mode. Check the wind direction at the time to see which way it would have drifted.

Hope you find it soon.

Last edited:
Took a shot at beating my personal best tonight. GPS freaked out when I enabled RTH and went offline... then crashed... ugggg...

**** that sucks, l known what it’s like to lose a bird. Hopefully you will fine that it landed somewhere and did not crash, it looks like you were pretty high when you lost connection. Do you know what was going on with your battery? It was showing 93% at your max distance, as if your External batteries had been charging your stock battery or something.

Hopefully you’ll find it

Last edited:
Well Bean, whatever the fate of your Mavic, I'm pretty sure it's better than mine at the moment.

What a great experience and story...
I mean, for everyone else, not for you. Thanks for sharing though, just the fact that you was flying in an area where you had the option to do an emergency landing on a helipad of a cargo ship is so freaking cool!

Thanks. Many of us get obsessed with range and modding don't like to share our bitter experiences. This was the 3rd, and I fear final, crash for this Mavic. The last one I hit the ground at 40mph and was able to piece it back together. I took off without insuring that the internal battery did not shut off when I plugged the externals in and was flying with goggles at night. I took the goggles off and saw the battery was at 100% after flying like 6 miles (because it had shut off). By that point the tank was pretty much empty and I tried to bring it down but ran out of juice on the way down (from 700 feet).

I’m thinking positive, I think you made it on the ship. But you probably still will not get it back. If you didn’t make it on the ship you have joined the club of @Maclack and I with Mavic’s lost to the bottom of the bay.

Last edited:
Well Bean, whatever the fate of your Mavic, I'm pretty sure it's better than mine at the moment.
If I need to emergency land somewhere I know it'll drop out of radio range, put it directly overhead and hit land if it's not already in auto land mode.

It's a long shot but would be cool if you get it back from the company.

That's awesome! Well, not for you :)

Load the flight into airdata, if nothing else you will get the final altitude and see if it reported above or at sea level. This is how I found a bird way up in a tree canopy.

**** that sucks, l known what it’s like to lose a bird. Hopefully you will fine that it landed somewhere and did not crash, it looks like you were pretty high when you lost connection. Do you know what was going on with your battery? It was showing 93% at your max distance, as if your External batteries had been charging your stock battery or something.

Hopefully you’ll find it

Just found the bird after a couple hours fence hopping and slogging through flooded fields. All her mods broke up and spread over about a 40 foot radius. I recovered everything BUT the darn trackimo that lead me there. It was pretty dense forested area and the trackimo broke off the birds velcro and probably nestled into some ground leaves out of sight. I was very disappointed because the trackimo has a "send beep" feature on the phone app, but it didn't work. My only guess is that there was standing water all around and maybe the beeper got wet and malfunctioned.

I monitor ventusky.com daily and you can get wind speeds at different altitudes in near real time. The holy grail the of long range wind gods visited my locale last night. I sent up a recon bird to validate and sure enough, I had 20+ mph tailwinds under 300 feet outbound, and 25+ mph return tailwinds inbound at 1000 feet.

I wasn't quite ready for a record run flight, but I could NOT miss this rare opportunity. So I hastily loaded up a factory platinum with all the mods and she was very heavy (just under 1500 grams), but with non stop tailwinds, this should have been a no-brainer flight, right??

All was going perfect until I hit the RTH button, then all heck broke loose and I couldn't control the bird any longer. She was so far out I lost radio contact when altitude dropped.

Anyway, it rained the entire night and the bird was literally dripping wet. I opened her up and will let a fan stay on her overnight tonight before I try to see if there is life left in her.

I am almost positive the bird side amp position caused the failure. I already know you can't place the amp on the topside, but It looked like it was far enough away. Well, it was at the margin and after looking at the GPS airdata telemetry, GPS was in and out of service the whole flight.

Lesson learned, if you do mod a bird side amp, it must not be on top period.

EDIT: or Lolo's theory that these over weight mod'ed birds create too much noise at the rear end. This makes sense too (or a combination of both in this instance).

dronemods-2018-033.png dronemods-2018-032.png dronemods-2018-031.png dronemods-2018-030.png

Last edited:
Reactions: chazz and SkyNinja
Just found the bird after a couple hours fence hopping and slogging through flooded fields. All her mods broke up and spread over about a 40 foot radius. I recovered everything BUT the darn trackimo that lead me there. It was pretty dense forested area and the trackimo broke off the birds velcro and probably nestled into some ground leaves out of sight. I was very disappointed because the trackimo has a "send beep" feature on the phone app, but it didn't work. My only guess is that there was standing water all around and maybe the beeper got wet and malfunctioned.

I monitor ventusky.com daily and you can get wind speeds at different altitudes in near real time. The holy grail the of long range wind gods visited my locale last night. I sent up a recon bird to validate and sure enough, I had 20+ mph tailwinds under 300 feet outbound, and 25+ mph return tailwinds inbound at 1000 feet.

I wasn't quite ready for a record run flight, but I could NOT miss this rare opportunity. So I hastily loaded up a factory platinum with all the mods and she was very heavy (just under 1500 grams), but with non stop tailwinds, this should have been a no-brainer flight, right??

All was going perfect until I hit the RTH button, then all heck broke loose and I couldn't control the bird any longer. She was so far out I lost radio contact when altitude dropped.

Anyway, it rained the entire night and the bird was literally dripping wet. I opened her up and will let a fan stay on her overnight tonight before I try to see if there is life left in her.

I am almost positive the bird side amp position caused the failure. I already know you can't place the amp on the topside, but It looked like it was far enough away. Well, it was at the margin and after looking at the GPS airdata telemetry, GPS was in and out of service the whole flight.

Lesson learned, if you do mod a bird side amp, it must not be on top period.

EDIT: or Lolo's theory that these over weight mod'ed birds create too much noise at the rear end. This makes sense too (or a combination of both in this instance).

View attachment 32121 View attachment 32122 View attachment 32123 View attachment 32124

That’s awesome you found it, the bird doesn’t look to be in too bad of a shape for being crashed(camera appears to be intact and no broken arms)

Last edited:
That’s awesome you found it, the bird doesn’t look to be in too bad of a shape for being crashed(camera appears to be intact and no broken arms)
Yes, I was amazed. 3 busted propellers and not any other noticeable damage. My guess is that it auto landed and hit a tree branch not too far from the ground.

BTW - the trackimo is worths its weight in gold. This is the 3rd time I have recovered a bird that would not have been possible otherwise.

Reactions: chazz
Yes, I was amazed. 3 busted propellers and not any other noticeable damage. My guess is that it auto landed and hit a tree branch not too far from the ground.

BTW - the trackimo is worths its weight in gold. This is the 3rd time I have recovered a bird that would not have been possible otherwise.

I had a trackimo on a P3P that I crashed, recovered the P3P but like you I was never able to found the trackimo.

Any idea why it was showing 93% battery?

View attachment 32081

Were you using both compasses? That looks exactly like what one of my sparks did when it flew away during RTH.

Did you happen to check whether the distance reading on the RC matched the distance on the app? I've seen the app GPS position freeze when a compass error happens, but the RC still shows distance updates.

Your log shows the same position for a few minutes at the end which is almost impossible in ATTI mode. Check the wind direction at the time to see which way it would have drifted.

Hope you find it soon.
darn, I didn't thing to look at the RC. When I lost control, the app froze for all displays except for the lower-left heading indicator

darn, I didn't thing to look at the RC. When I lost control, the app froze for all displays except for the lower-left heading indicator
Mavic RC is the best because of the telemetry display. Head mounted GoPro cam for instant replays.

I have browsed a few pages of this thread and have noticed that I haven't seen any flights using the Litchi app. Is there a reason for this?

beanbubba I'm curious like @SkyNinja is about your 93% the entire flight. It looks like your main battery was off? Not that it caused the issue just pointing it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkyNinja
beanbubba I'm curious like @SkyNinja is about your 93% the entire flight. It looks like your main battery was off? Not that it caused the issue just pointing it out.

I am scratching my head here...

I measured the batteries after I recovered them:

Mavic: 4 bars
External1: 0 volts
External2: 10.6 volts
External3: 11.1 volts

Before the flight I charged the externals and did NOT overpack. The mavic battery was brand new and its 2nd flight and charged on the "blue" after market charger port2. Obviously the main battery switched off and started charging at some point. But the remaining battery levels have me puzzled. Any thoughts??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme