• Yes, not one problem

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A few small problems, but nothing that couldn't be fixes by the owner

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • A large problem that had to be repaired under warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A problem that required a replacement drone

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • So many problems that I just sent the drone back for a refund...

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Does anyone know of an impending fly-in for the Ohio area? If not, does anyone have an interest in forming one? I think fall would be a beautiful time to meet, chat, discuss, and fly. With the vague State Park rules in Ohio, I'm not sure if a State Park would be a good idea, but perhaps a campground or similar site would work.... thanks for looking, Jeff

Hey there Jeff! There is a Drone Flying Meetup tomorrow morning at Eastland Golf & Games in Columbus @ 10:30. Hope to see you there...

I've never taken mine out of Brunswick, any places northeast Ohio that people would recommend?
do you ever fly over the ridge near mapleside farms? if you took off from that parking lot and went west, i bet you'd be able to go 3-4 miles without losing signal. i doubt mapleside would allow that but i know there is a place just south, right? maybe that would be an option.

Reactions: DJinCleveland
nearly disastrous! i was having iOS issues. nearly lost the drone in the lake!

but it's a nice place to fly other than that. the place where i took off from (north east corner) is right on the water and has a good, clear, takeoff point. it was hazy but you could see the city. i think it's about 7-8 miles away from there. there were quite a few folks out and about that day. nobody hassled me. they were all interested in how far it could fly. a few would stand and watch as i dealt with iOS app crashes. ha! so sadly, i didn't stick around long as i left my cheap android phone up in the car and by the time we walked all the way back up to the car, my 7 year wanted to leave.

i'd definitely recommend it. if you ever go out there, let me know. it's only about 20 min away for me.

nearly disastrous! i was having iOS issues. nearly lost the drone in the lake!

but it's a nice place to fly other than that. the place where i took off from (north east corner) is right on the water and has a good, clear, takeoff point. it was hazy but you could see the city. i think it's about 7-8 miles away from there. there were quite a few folks out and about that day. nobody hassled me. they were all interested in how far it could fly. a few would stand and watch as i dealt with iOS app crashes. ha! so sadly, i didn't stick around long as i left my cheap android phone up in the car and by the time we walked all the way back up to the car, my 7 year wanted to leave.

i'd definitely recommend it. if you ever go out there, let me know. it's only about 20 min away for me.

Will do. I grew up right down the street from there. Was there a lot as a kid

I'm a little late reading this thread as it's already the new year and below zero wind chills here in Ohio. Would like to meet up in the Spring.

J

Hey guys,

Brand new Mavic owner here - purchased on Cyber Monday and haven't even had a chance to fly yet. I'm in the Cleveland area, East suburbs.

Anyway, I have heard it said that it's against park regulations to fly anywhere in the Cleveland Metroparks, so I investigated the park rules online, and found this interesting tidbit:

745.03 RESTRICTIONS.

(b) No person shall launch, land or operate, or cause to be launched, landed or operated, any UAS weighing less than 4.4lbs/2.2kg in any airspace within the Park District except in designated areas and must possess a current certificate of aircraft registration issued by the FAA for the UAS or is flying the UAS strictly for hobby or recreational use.
It states there are "designated areas" that are not off-limits, but I couldn't find anything online that refers to said areas, either on maps or in writing. So I emailed the "general info" contact to see if they could point them out for me.

Here's the response I received:

Hello,

Designated areas within the Park District are open fields, in the following locations except during those dates and times of scheduled events:

· The Polo Fields located in South Chagrin;
· The Top O’ Ledges in the Hinckley Reservation;
· Main Street Diamond located in Mill Stream Run Reservation;
· The fairways of all Cleveland Metroparks golf courses, except Sleepy Hollow or Manakiki, from November 1st through March 15th when the golf course is not open for golf:
o (1) The operator of the UAS shall not be permitted on the greens or tees at any time.
o (2) The operator shall not interfere with any non-golf activity that may be occurring on the golf course (e.g., snowshoeing, cross country skiing, etc.)​

Even in designated areas, all operators, whether recreational and commercial, must learn and comply with all FAA regulations. It is not Cleveland Metroparks’ responsibility to inform, train or educate the public about the FAA regulations.
Just thought I'd pass this info along to you locals, in case you had any interest in flying in these areas. Obviously some are near airports, so be sure to follow the rules. :)

Looking forward to some warmer weather so I can take my Mavic out for her maiden voyage!

Paul

Reactions: jeffk813
Look up FliteFest. Just southeast of Akron every July. Great time. Thousands of people and pilots...

Warmed up enough to stand in the garage today while the Mavic hovered in the driveway!
a251bb9fcb760c8f57d9c8a0d8640b2f.jpg

Reactions: paulmike3
Is anyone here in the Marion area? I ask because a friend's father might want to start flying and I was wondering if someone might want to give him a 15 minute demo? He has a 300 acre farm to fly over so at least you know you have permission :) I am in Phoenix else I would myself! Thanks for reading.

Man that was a quick response! Let me see where he is located. Do people fly much in the winter?
Not to my knowledge, just me and another I grew up with in school. Just flew 20 min ago around the neighborhood and took my first 360 pano! Also uploaded a goofy short clip to Facebook.

Link to profile: Security Check Required

Not to my knowledge, just me and another I grew up with in school. Just flew 20 min ago around the neighborhood and took my first 360 pano! Also uploaded a goofy short clip to Facebook.

Link to profile: Security Check Required

Nice! I just got started myself with a Spark and am still figuring it out.

I guess they are in Pleasant Township? Is that near you?

I'll see when they get back to Ohio and what the dad thinks about it. I was showing him my own drone today (we were not flying though; it was just in the car) and couldn't tell his interest level, but as you know part of it is being a little overwhelmed with learning it (especially for seniors), without realizing until seeing someone else do it that it is pretty easy. He has the farm and some sheep so I thought it would be the coolest thing ever, but I'll see what he thinks. Thanks so much for offering a demo!

Not a problem. I have had the Mavic for over a year and am pretty seasoned flyer. Minus once landing in a tree at 60+ foot. Called in a favor to the Chief of City Fire to get it out. Unfortunately had to send it in and DJI sent me a refurbished unit which had issues.

Anyhow, I now have what I would consider a flawless Mavic and have been enjoying every minute of flight.

Just send me a message when you find out any details and I'll provide my contact information.

Houk

Not a problem. I have had the Mavic for over a year and am pretty seasoned flyer. Minus once landing in a tree at 60+ foot. Called in a favor to the Chief of City Fire to get it out. Unfortunately had to send it in and DJI sent me a refurbished unit which had issues.

Anyhow, I now have what I would consider a flawless Mavic and have been enjoying every minute of flight.

Just send me a message when you find out any details and I'll provide my contact information.

Houk

So it sounds like he is up for it once it warms up; can I save this link and hit you up when it gets nicer?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsplum