DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oklahoma Legislation

I think they hit it pretty good when they mentioned the non-realized invasion of privacy. And, yes, true, once again, the FAA is the sole source for air space control in the US. The federal mandate cannot be overridden by state, municipality, or lower, we know that. Sounds similar to the states, cities, etc mandating more and more restrictions on gun ownership. The only people affected are the honest ones doing the correctly anyway.

Recognizing that drone pilots have a responsibility to respect privacy of land owners, (the land owners have a responsibility to recognize they do not own the air space), the altitudes should be adjusted appropriately when transversing personal property, i.e. instead of 50 feet, go 100. If traversing straight over, pick up a bit more speed (demonstrates no desire to stop and peek). The pilot should avoid any situation that may be construed as invasion of privacy. But that does not necessarily indicate the pilot must go to 400 AGL or circumvent the said property.

Perhaps a friendly visit to the property owner (very rural area) or neighbors in your hood, may be fruitful for relations and better understanding. Go armed with videos (over public lands) at your intended and usual flight altitude. Let the land owners/neighbors see firsthand the results of flying at altitude and distance. Show them an example of how close a drone would have to be to have a malicious intent. Offer to contact, i.e., text, prior to any flights over. Promote good citizenship and a better understanding. Show a copy of the ruling that states the FAA is the sole authority of airspace and gently remind them you are taking an extra step to alleviate their misconceptions concerning their personal airspace. Do not be argumentative, but respectful.

Cities, municipalities, HOAs, land-owners, etc will continue to attempt to regulate what is not in their realm of responsibility. Bottom-line, be respectful and informative, but be firm and knowledgeable, not argumentative. Become a steward for UAVs.

These are my thoughts only!

Reactions: Zoomzoom
As responsible drone operators it is important for us to educate the public and keep an eye on the legislation that may impact either our jobs or hobby. Just wanted to pass on that little bit of information. I am sure it is taking place all over the country. (And world for that matter. Thanks Droneranger for you editorial! :pThumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos