DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One tough M2Z!

GlynRDav

Reactions
I was videoing model trains and flying side-wise and ended up in a tree! The AC refused to crash and kept flying; in the tree. The OAs were keeping it still and once I got to the tree (50m away), it was patiently waiting to be rescued. I took it out of OA mode and maneuvered it out and onto the ground.
The only damage was a cracked prop and I didn't have spares with me. I will test this weekend with new props.
I am very impressed by the determination of my M2V :)

Is there anything I can do to make sure all is OK?

Last edited:
Just do what you said: take it for a test flight and see. But first give the unit a good once-over, checking for any hairline cracks, etc. Check how the props move to see if there is any resistance or too much play in any of them. Then take it outside, in a wide open space with no buildings, people, trees, etc., place it on a flat surface and engage the props.

Let it sit there for 5-10 minutes spinning, listening for any unusual sounds. If you hear nothing, next power it off and feel the motors to see if there’s any excessive heat. If all goes well up to this point, then set the height and distance limits for the unit to like 25’ high and maybe 50’ distance. Then engage the props, throttle up, fly up to your height and let it hover for a few minutes, keeping an eye on its stability. If that looks cool, then fly out to your set distance. Fly in circles, patterns, check out the intelligent flight modes. Then walk it in flight towards a safe obstacle where you can fly up, down, forward and backward to see if your obstacle avoidance sensors are working.

If everything checks out fine after a full battery of flight, then land it via RTH (to ensure that is working, too) and re-inspect it, again feeling the motors for any heat. If it’s the same bird as it was before your mishap, then kiss it, hold it up high to the great, mysterious Mavic Gods in the sky, give them your thanks, and remember the lesson you learned.

Reactions: ff22
Yep, it is tough. I once crashed mine last year into power wires into the park bathroom. It dropped about 10 ft to concrete path. Battery popped out with some scrapes and slight dent in one corner, and 2 broken props.
Otherwise perfectly fine.

In general the gimbal is the most fragile part but fortunately recessed into the body.
2nd most fragile are the arms an legs. Front arms fold which aids in resiliency. The stops for the back legs can get distorted where they come up too high when unfolded, but the system seems to be able to compensate.

Thanks CC Rider. That was exactly what I was looking for. I will do them all and hopefully everything will be well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54