DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Open Exposure blur on a waterfall?

enodog

Reactions
Hey! Was wondering if anyone knew how to create a blur on the water with the Mavic pro. I'm fimilar with open Exposure night shots!

With typical daylight photography, we would use an ND filter and very slow shutter speed with camera on stable tripod to capture rivers and waterfalls. With the right camera settings you'd get a silky smooth effect.

Maybe in tripod mode and with no wind you might be able to get something similar with the Mavic if you can get the right shutter speed and ND filter.

Reactions: enodog
Just for clarification...are you talking about this:
waterfall-photography2.jpg

shutter-speed-long-exposure.jpg

Reactions: enodog
Just for clarification...are you talking about this:
waterfall-photography2.jpg

shutter-speed-long-exposure.jpg
Yes! Thanks for the help! What kind of filter (nd 64) I have tried it during the day and changing the Exposure messes up the brightness. Will a high nd filter fix this?

You will need to slow the shutter speed way down in order to get the milky effect of moving water. I am not so sure that you will be able to achieve this with the mavic

You will need to slow the shutter speed way down in order to get the milky effect of moving water. I am not so sure that you will be able to achieve this with the mavic
Yea doubt it those pics are probably at least 20-30 second delays

Depending on how much ambient light is there (exposure), how much silkiness your after, and your gear, you could get away with 1/2 second to 1 to 2 second shutter speed. The slower the shutter speed, the silkier (blurred) the water is. The problem is that your exposure will be to bright. This is where your nd filter comes in. And the other problem with slower shutter speed is motion blur on items in your frame of shot that you'll want to be sharp (like rocks, trees, etc.). This is where your tripod comes in.

Go here for more info: Create Stunning Waterfall Images With a Few Simple Steps

image.jpeg image.jpeg Well if it's 2-4 seconds then it could be done with the Mavic , here's a 2 second time delay I took...

It was windy and I was trying to figure the best camera settings for the conditions ...

You could also try taking a series of stills and then stacking them. It won't be perfect but worth a shot, especially if you know your way round photoshop and layers.

Worth a shot, but a lot of effort.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman