DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinion - Mini First Few Flights Impressions

Dougcjohn

Reactions
Looked through the MM post... As a new craft, thought I'd toss up a thread we could chime in on.
What's Your Opinion after your First few flights with the Mavic Mini?

Is it Better than expected...
Looks, Performance, Operation, etc.

Worst than Expected...
Share your opinion why...

Flight...

Battery Performance...

Radio Performance...

Visibility & Orientation...

Wind & Stability....

App Interface & Fetures...

Camera... Sill & Video

Tips, Tweaks others could benefit...

I think everything from this drone is as good as expected from 400 dollars as anything you could get your hands on. The flight is very responsive and when hovering is very stable even in slight wind. The battery is very good, with flight times at minimum of 21 minutes in sport mode doing turns and stuff. The radio performance is very good when in line of sight. It is so small that you can easily lose track of it when it gets too far. At ranges as far as 3500 feet I had little bits of interference in an urban environment but was remedied by increasing the altitude and having a better line of sight. The video is good enough for a non professional and for having fun with it. I use it to explore my environment and I feel this drone is more than capable. The 1080p at 60 fps gives you a smoother video when flying quickly. The 2.7k has a nice picture and is appropriate when flying slower and more controlled. The app is not as robust as the others and it has some social media-esq aspects clipped onto it; but since it is a software it can always be improved. But since it is so small, I feel like people won't be as offended with it flying around when compared with a bigger drone, like a phantom or something

Reactions: Jet skier
Had my Mini since Friday... a few Indoors flights, impressive little craft inside. Extremely stable and not a noisy craft.

Temps in mid-30's, rained all morning, cold & damp, dark grey skies and 12-30mph wind gust with 8mph being a constant.

First off, I'm on the opposite side of most... I was "holding" off getting a Pre-Owned Spark until tried out the Mini. Had a Spark, enjoyed it and sold it a 1-1.5 yrs ago... to busy with my larger sUAV platforms. But the Spark was a fun little zippy craft

The Mini is a Great little Craft if you get it for the Mini and NOT a Spark substitute.
Personally, I think it flew very well, and very stable.

The Mini is NO Spark substitute... they are in 2 separate categories. It's like comparing the Mini Cooper (aka: Spark) with the Fiat 500 (aka: Mini). The Spark is definitely the performer out of the two.

The Mini struggled with the strong head winds... almost looked like it got blown back a few times. It's not as aerobatic, not as agile, not as fast...you can feel / observe the light weight of Mini when outside.

Radio seem great, no concerns on todays first flights... too grey (matched the Mini), too windy to want to explore reasonable distances. I took it 1500-1700 ft out with no glitch in a crowded neighborhood.

Very stable little craft, the Cinematic mode was extremely smooth and Sport mode was peppy but no where near the equivalent of flipping a Spark into Sport mode.

In the cold temp & windy day... I was overly impressed with the battery. I ran 2 full batteries and it started beeping at 23-25 minutes. I was in all 3 modes, sport mode being the primary.

The app needs some development and enhancements. But I think both Mini & App will improve in near future.

Don't sell the Spark for a Mini. Get a Mini to add to the platforms.

I think everything from this drone is as good as expected from 400 dollars as anything you could get your hands on. The flight is very responsive and when hovering is very stable even in slight wind. The battery is very good, with flight times at minimum of 21 minutes in sport mode doing turns and stuff. The radio performance is very good when in line of sight. It is so small that you can easily lose track of it when it gets too far. At ranges as far as 3500 feet I had little bits of interference in an urban environment but was remedied by increasing the altitude and having a better line of sight. The video is good enough for a non professional and for having fun with it. I use it to explore my environment and I feel this drone is more than capable. The 1080p at 60 fps gives you a smoother video when flying quickly. The 2.7k has a nice picture and is appropriate when flying slower and more controlled. The app is not as robust as the others and it has some social media-esq aspects clipped onto it; but since it is a software it can always be improved. But since it is so small, I feel like people won't be as offended with it flying around when compared with a bigger drone, like a phantom or something
I'd agree on the neighborhood element.. several of my neighbors just smiled & waved as if the Old Man was playing with a new Toy. Even Dogs being walked, that normally tug at the leash to larger drones, just kept walking and gave it a few half-interested looks.

Reactions: F22arecool
My Worst realized failure point... LED Lights. The total lack of lights on the Ft End.
Craft is so little, you can easily loose track or visual of the craft.

Never flown a Mavic before and I love it. It’s mostly going to be a spotter craft for use in conjunction with my phantoms and the occasional YouTube. For those alone it is worth it. I also found out it is pretty tough from my first Dronie flight. The programed rise is very gentle, and without sensors, it couldn’t see the tree behind it. The little guy handled it well and found its own way out of the tree and flew home. Apparently that feature is built into the quickshot program. No damage at all except for greenery. It even drew blood on my first MM hand landing, but I consider it a love tap from my new friend. ??? Opinion, it’s a Pocket Rocket!

that amazing they should rename it the quick crash recovery mode what does it do freefall away from the tree regain its composure and then fly back cant wait to get mine and see if it works

that amazing they should rename it the quick crash recovery mode what does it do freefall away from the tree regain its composure and then fly back cant wait to get mine and see if it works
It was only a couple feet from completing its mission, so I guess it assumed it was time to come home. Yes it did fall about a foot and then right itself. Without touching the sticks or any notification, it came back. I was pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: old man mavic
Never flown a Mavic before and I love it. It’s mostly going to be a spotter craft for use in conjunction with my phantoms and the occasional YouTube. For those alone it is worth it. I also found out it is pretty tough from my first Dronie flight. The programed rise is very gentle, and without sensors, it couldn’t see the tree behind it. The little guy handled it well and found its own way out of the tree and flew home. Apparently that feature is built into the quickshot program. No damage at all except for greenery. It even drew blood on my first MM hand landing, but I consider it a love tap from my new friend. ??? Opinion, it’s a Pocket Rocket!
Interesting you mention that... While flying Indoor the 1st night... it flew nicely so I was increasing it's speed a bit and seeing how it braked. As you can guess, I was off on the break and hit a large corner plant... the props were hitting & slightly chewing the leaves when it pulled away. I was amazed it didn't just drop... the Tello took just a tap and it was down.

Reactions: Capt KO
It was only a couple feet from completing its mission, so I guess it assumed it was time to come home. Yes it did fall about a foot and then right itself. Without touching the sticks or any notification, it came back. I was pleasantly surprised.
sounds like it has a self preservation mode hope you got a lottery ticket that day

I was a little concerned about the auto RTH in Quickshots. Not anymore, it works well IMO. Yes, I still had control if I wanted it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007