DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions and thoughts please

SmilingOgre

Reactions
My wife is a special education teacher at the high school level. Ever since Covid she has been teaching online. As part of that, her and I produce videos for life skills. The next segment coming up is leisure activities. We are thinking things like basketball, skate boarding, bocce ball, etc which would lend nicely to drone video. The channel we use for hosting is not monetized and nothing we produce has any monetary activity. Having said all that, I still get the sense the gooberment will find a way to have a fit. Obviously something we can not have happen.

Having said all that, I still get the sense the gooberment will find a way to have a fit.
Although you'll get some hardline suggestions that what you're thinking about is the worst thing a droner could possibly do, the government won't care at all.
The FAA won't care either.
You enjoy shooting video for fun.
Let your wife use one of the videos you shot for fun.
And don't overthink it.

I think you're fine as long as you "stay on the reservation" and don't say something irreponsible. This is a great time to teach people about aviation, weather, map reading and all sorts of other stuff.

While totally off the subject, something that I think is totally lacking for children is gun safety- and what a child should do, should your child come face to face with a firearm while not in the presence of an adult- otherwise known as "gun-proofing your children". Someone should do one of those videos to teach parents how to teach their children about guns, even if they don't own one. One out of three households in the US has a firearm and you never know when Johnny will be playing at Jimmy's house and they come across a gun. They need to know what to do should that happen. I think while it would be interesting, informative and may even save a child. But I suspect some folks would freak out with such a video because as soon as someone uses the word gun they flip out emotionally rather than thinking it through. Just saying.

I think you're fine as long as you "stay on the reservation" and don't say something irreponsible. This is a great time to teach people about aviation, weather, map reading and all sorts of other stuff.

While totally off the subject, something that I think is totally lacking for children is gun safety- and what a child should do, should your child come face to face with a firearm while not in the presence of an adult- otherwise known as "gun-proofing your children". Someone should do one of those videos to teach parents how to teach their children about guns, even if they don't own one. One out of three households in the US has a firearm and you never know when Johnny will be playing at Jimmy's house and they come across a gun. They need to know what to do should that happen. I think while it would be interesting, informative and may even save a child. But I suspect some folks would freak out with such a video because as soon as someone uses the word gun they flip out emotionally rather than thinking it through. Just saying.

My wife does the videos and she now has two masters degrees in education. I don't envision her saying anything that would be problematic. My concern is in regard to the FAA deeming that the video was used in a professional setting and therefore would require a license.

As per firearm safety, although I agree with you, that will not happen. That is not our culture today. The mere mention of or knowledge of firearms will bring out pitch forks and torches. Heaven help the person who draws something that resembles a firearm. We do not speak of such things other than to say they are bad, bad, bad!!!

Intent when filming is the measure.
Ya, the intent is simple enough. Give these kids as many life skills as we can before they leave school. Sandy is obviously paid to teach but the videos themselves generate no revenue and advertise nothing. This is not something that is required by the school district. This is something we do that the school district accepts. The kids respond very well to the videos and it is our belief that we are making a valuable contribution.

Reactions: Thomas B
My wife does the videos and she now has two masters degrees in education. I don't envision her saying anything that would be problematic. My concern is in regard to the FAA deeming that the video was used in a professional setting and therefore would require a license.

As per firearm safety, although I agree with you, that will not happen. That is not our culture today. The mere mention of or knowledge of firearms will bring out pitch forks and torches. Heaven help the person who draws something that resembles a firearm. We do not speak of such things other than to say they are bad, bad, bad!!!

I think you're safe creating a demonstration video that is not monetized or remunerated in any way. They'd be hard pressed to make a case for a demonstration made in front of an educator destined for children. Stuff like this can end up on the 5pm news.

As far as pitchforks and torches... It comes from ignorance and stupidity of not knowing, or caring to know what can actually makes us safer. And so they run around with the hands in the air, hair on fire... and accomplish nothing that can make us safer. I wrote a whole lot more but deleted it. I don't want to blow up another ? thread.

As far as pitchforks and torches... It comes from ignorance and stupidity of not knowing, or caring to know what can actually makes us safer. And so they run around with the hands in the air, hair on fire... and accomplish nothing that can make us safer. I wrote a whole lot more but deleted it. I don't want to blow up another ? thread.
And I get a strong sense you would be preaching to the choir. I believe we share that viewpoint.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
My wife is a special education teacher at the high school level. Ever since Covid she has been teaching online. As part of that, her and I produce videos for life skills. The next segment coming up is leisure activities. We are thinking things like basketball, skate boarding, bocce ball, etc which would lend nicely to drone video. The channel we use for hosting is not monetized and nothing we produce has any monetary activity. Having said all that, I still get the sense the gooberment will find a way to have a fit. Obviously something we can not have happen.
The FAA will never say anything because right now they don't have the bandwidth.n Just don't show any violations in the video.
But clearly the intent is not recreational.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
The FAA will never say anything because right now they don't have the bandwidth.n Just don't show any violations in the video.
Got ya. Makes sense.

what does that have to do with drones ?

Having said that it would not be a bad idea if you got your part 107. You would learn a ton, and could better explain to your students how it all works.

Having said that it would not be a bad idea if you got your part 107. You would learn a ton, and could better explain to your students how it all works.
I am thinking strongly on getting the 107. It would be a good winter project. It is not something I will try to rush however. If I thought this activity would be problematic per results here I have plenty of "ground based" equipment to complete the task. In regard to explaining the activity to the students, I don't see that as possible. All school is being conducted via internet with no face to face contact. All of the lessons are limited in scope and there is little time for tangential information as per the capturing of the video. My wife does all presenting and narration in the videos and she does not have the interest in flying that I do. She is the teacher, and I am the tech nerd. The last point is that most of her students do not have the comprehension skills to understand the process.

Regardless, I have spoken at length to a person who has obtained the 107 and I would like to have that understanding as well.

Reactions: Tommy85
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe