DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinions on whether a Part 107 is needed for deer recovery.

jaja6009

Part 107
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Lets first assume that in the state for this question, it is legal to use a drone to recover a deer that has been shot.

If a person wanted to use a drone just to recover a deer for themselves only (The hunter and a friend or famility member or two), this would fall under recreational flying? The other friends or family of course are not going to pay the hunter) In my opinion it does, but I always like to hear others' input.

Next scenario

Same as above except that a different group of hunters (Not friends of the hunter with the drone) see that this person has a thermal drone and asks if the hunter could find and help to recover their deer. They do not offer or give money or anything at all.

Thanks in advance for any input.

You're not "flying for the fun of it" if you have a specific purpose.
The regulations aren't that prescriptive.
There are no regulations about "having a specific purpose" or not.
They also say nothing about having to fly for the fun of it (whatever that means).
The closest is the word recreational, which can have much broader definition than is held buy the folks that like to debate these (usually) non-issues.

This is just another of the ridiculous hypothetical scenarios that get brought up in the forum.
The actual situation is that it really doesn't matter and no-one is coming after a flyer that did it.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
There is NO State that allows the use of Drones for ANY type of Hunting or Spotting especially Camera equipped Drones.
BUT just for conversation sake: If the INTENT of your flight was to recover the deer- Then someone is going to benefit financially , SO you would need a 107 Cert.
NO one person can profit from your flight unless you are part 107 certified. SO no flight for charity. No helping the neighbor with the roof inspection, nothing of the sort. No one can gain financially from your flight for it to be recreational.

What a foolish question, its not like you need permission even if you got payed
The fines for operating under part 107 without a certificate are STEEP!! So I think to be prudent I would seek some advice BEFORE attempting any flight that could be questionable. You can't afford the fine or the attorney you will have to hire!.

There is NO State that allows the use of Drones for ANY type of Hunting or Spotting especially Camera equipped Drones.
BUT just for conversation sake: If the INTENT of your flight was to recover the deer- Then someone is going to benefit financially , SO you would need a 107 Cert.
NO one person can profit from your flight unless you are part 107 certified. SO no flight for charity. No helping the neighbor with the roof inspection, nothing of the sort. No one can gain financially from your flight for it to be recreational.
Actually 5 states allow drone use for scouting. As a hunter I’m of the opinion that this is against “fair chase” rules.
But nobody asked for my opinion….

Many states allow folks to use drones to recover dear that have been harvested. Some don't, but more do than don't. And it's likely to be a common use for hunting pretty soon in virtually all states. There is zero reason not to.

Also, it's much more simple than "financial gain". Part 107 is the default set of rules. Anything not recreational doesn't qualify for the 44809 recreational exemption. Financial gain really has nothing to do with Part 107, it's simply a disqualifier for 44809.

How would someone get caught in the first place, and im believing if it was a ranger all they would say you cant, not like they would turn you in ?

Reactions: Cafguy
Remote ID, isn't that what RID is for?

True or false? One of the benefits of having remote ID is so the authorities can quickly identify offending drones that are breaking the law or posing a safety risk to the airspace, right?
Now all you need is someone with an RID receiver within range and a way for them to tell that the operator is doing something they shouldn't.
RID isn't going to do what you imagine.

• Haha
Reactions: mavic3usa
How would someone get caught in the first place, and im believing if it was a ranger all they would say you cant, not like they would turn you in ?

1. IF ( and they will eventually) The Ranger catches you-They are obligated to report All INTERACTIONS WITH THE PUBLIC and The National Park Service are also required to report Drone violations to the FAA. That's just ONE way not to mention, Perhaps the RID number you are transmitting ( maybe ).
2. Bills Aerial Deer recovery will report you! - The guy in your area who is certified and would just love to stamp out the competition. ( if there was such a thing lol)
The point is it is actually hard to get caught BUT Easier than you might think.

Reactions: TinajaEco
It probably would largely depend on where you were flying and who was around. While RID would identify a drone flying in the area, associating that drone with a deer recovery would probably need to have someone report it being used for that purpose. How would a casual observer tell if a drone was searching for a deer as opposed to just flying to see the scenery? There are plenty of places where you can hunt that are not in a National or State park.

Has far as state parks rangers dont really care, and yes I've been caught w/o any issues, but we had a good conversation about drones, also I wasnt told to land either ?

Lets first assume that in the state for this question, it is legal to use a drone to recover a deer that has been shot.

If a person wanted to use a drone just to recover a deer for themselves only (The hunter and a friend or famility member or two), this would fall under recreational flying? The other friends or family of course are not going to pay the hunter) In my opinion it does, but I always like to hear others' input.

Next scenario

Same as above except that a different group of hunters (Not friends of the hunter with the drone) see that this person has a thermal drone and asks if the hunter could find and help to recover their deer. They do not offer or give money or anything at all.

Thanks in advance for any input.
well I,m sure the coyotes are not to happy about it .here in new mexico we put cattle back home. gather the horses,, and they offer s meal ,and if you did not scare all the cattle over the fence somewhere you just might have a nice evening wide open spaces as long as you don,t go up to 20,000 right in the path of comericial butt on a clear nite you can see them from 20 miles away out where there are no lights !,,, northwest plateau107 is jusr a number when your counting the callle as they leave the water lot Or 1 hour and seven minutes after lunch?but my guess is no your good

The regulations aren't that prescriptive.
There are no regulations about "having a specific purpose" or not.
They also say nothing about having to fly for the fun of it (whatever that means).
The closest is the word recreational, which can have much broader definition than is held buy the folks that like to debate these (usually) non-issues.

This is just another of the ridiculous hypothetical scenarios that get brought up in the forum.
The actual situation is that it really doesn't matter and no-one is coming after a flyer that did it.
It may seem ridiculous, but its not hypothetical. A coworker is a hunter and is in the process of buying a thermal drone (M2EA or M3ET). They asked my opinion and I looked at it like this:

He is hunting for sport or you could say recreatioanlly. He does not sell any part of the deer. He is now going to use a drone to support his recreational activity.

We have a person making an honest effort to follow the rules and I am just making sure I give him the right advice. Fly Part 107 or fly recreationally.

It may seem ridiculous, but its not hypothetical. A coworker is a hunter and is in the process of buying a thermal drone (M2EA or M3ET). They asked my opinion and I looked at it like this:

He is hunting for sport or you could say recreatioanlly. He does not sell any part of the deer. He is now going to use a drone to support his recreational activity.

We have a person making an honest effort to follow the rules and I am just making sure I give him the right advice. Fly Part 107 or fly recreationally.
What is he going to use it to hunt down his prey ? Seems to me if your going to use a drone to hunt, your no longer a hunter...........On the other hand, using it in keeping ones livestock/family safe is another issue

Reactions: TinajaEco
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellmorrissey