DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Optical Illusion with Buildings?

Reactions
36881987_639812606399293_2955654501488394240_o.jpg

I've been having this weird issue with some pictures and video of mine, and haven't been able to find ANYTHING online about it.

It might take some good eyesight, but if you can see it like me, the green building in the upper-center of the picture has this circular pattern that almost looks like a fingerprint. However, when you zoom in on the picture, it goes away, revealing only the natural horizontal lines of the roof.

This seems to be an optical illusion that appears very often when I shoot near brick buildings or roofs with lots of lines. I don't imagine that the camera itself is faulty, but I never see anything like that in other people's photography. What's going on here, and is there anything I can do to remove it (either in camera settings, or editing afterwards)?

Sometimes it's just how our eyes and brain processes an image. Like you said, when you zoom in, it looks fine. Search for optical illusions.

Sometimes it's just how our eyes and brain processes an image. Like you said, when you zoom in, it looks fine. Search for optical illusions.

I think it's an aliasing issue, like JLee says. I can reproduce it in different sizes, different computers. It's an illusion in the sense that sizing it up makes it less and less noticeable, but it's something that definitely happens and is bad enough I'd like to fix it.

I think I'll try fooling around with the Sharpness setting first. So far I haven't touched camera settings at all, besides using the exposure dial.

Yep aliasing and Moire.

Proper camera have AA filters in front of the sensor to slightly reduce sharpness and software to remove Moire (adobe products do for example).

You think that is a problem, I print tee shirts and can get the same Moire’ effect and have to go back and start all over again with a different art file and new print screens .

You can kind of create this example if you have a couple pieces of normal window screen. Place one on the other and slide them against each other you will see optical patterns dance around.

If you really want to see some really strange images try playing Black Sabbath on 78 speed backwards:p
mikemoose55

Reactions: gjmphoto
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000