DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orange County CA- Mavic Grounded

I would think that where they have such tough restrictions that there would be some designated rc parks also.

I live in the city of Orange in OC CA and recently was flying at the local park I have flown at for the past couple years. I was caught off guard when a "park ranger" came up to me and told me it was illegal to fly in the park. I didn't want to make a stink so I landed and spoke to him to try and find out what this rule was.
I did inform him that I was registered and was following the FAA guidelines. He was not pushy by any means but told me it was a city Ordinance - 12.48.060 which I will attach.

Needless to say I'm a bit bummed about this situation. I called City Hall and they forwarded me to City attorney who said it is "Illegal" to fly in any park in the city of Orange. I explained to him that's not how the code reads to me- he said "I understand how you feel" but you can't fly in any park in the city of Orange.

Curious if any other Orange County residents or anyone else trying to fly have had any issues like what I experienced.

Thanks,
Matt

View attachment 4081

I have been flying Orange County many times, haven't had issues, but I never operate drone in a place where people can spot easily. I try to avoid attention as much as possible.

I dont think there's anywhere that's 100% safe or legal to fly a drone. I always plan out what I want to shoot and film, then use the app "flight aware" to minimize the risk of hitting anything. And then find a secret spot on google map to take off. I haven't been caught flying anywhere in the city or national parks. But knowing the risk of getting caught is making every flight experience scary.

Orlando, FL here, and we all know the ridiculous law they just passed. You can technically fly anywhere, as long as you are not taking off, landing, or controlling the aircraft within 500 feet of any city controlled structure or venue, school, jails, and the most ridiculous thing...parks. They cite safety reasons and concerns, but if you pay them $150 a year, or $20 per flight, you can fly in these areas.

So apparently, $150 a year causes all safety concerns to go away :eek:

Reactions: Bryan Conover
Most parks prohibit any RC vehicles. Boats, cars, planes, drones etc.

With a stroke of a pen a municipality can ban anything remote control. They aren't willing to tolerate the liability of anything that can hurt someone. Living in SoCal, I assume most parks are banned but who wants to fly a drone capable of 2+ mile range there anyways. It's all about the launch point.

I think as long as you are not taking off or landing on park property you can fly over the parks. The FAA is the only governing body that controls airspace...

Reactions: Bryan Conover
In general, there are no hard restrictions on flying in the airspace above a U.S. national park, for non-commercial use. As others have correctly pointed out, the park can prohibit takeoff and landings but don't have the authority to regulate overflights. However, there are specific exceptions for certain national parks (for example: Grand Canyon National Park), so it is important to check the airspace on the park you're thinking of flying in. These airspace restrictions are set and enforced by the FAA and not by the Park Service, so you can determine whether the airspace is restricted or not by referring to a pilot's Sectional Chart. I happen to use the Foreflight app on my iPad, but there are many other cheaper sources- SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts is a great alternative as long you have a live data connection.

The 2000 foot "minimum" comes from the Airman's Information Manual (AIM):

AIM 7-4-6, “Flights Over Charted U.S. Wildlife Refuges, Parks, and Forest Service Areas” reads, in part:
Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2,000 feet above the surface of the following: National Parks, Monuments, Seashores, Lakeshores, Recreation Areas and Scenic Riverways administered by the National Park Service, National Wildlife Refuges, Big Game Refuges, Game Ranges and Wildlife Ranges administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and Wilderness and Primitive areas administered by the U.S. Forest Service.

Note that the term used in the above paragraph is "requested" and not "required".

This same issue has created many long discussions between pilots in the past. The upshot is, if you fly below 2000 AGL in these areas you're legal with the FAA (assuming no other special flight restrictions, like for Grand Canyon). Be aware, however - it's still possible to get violations from other federal agencies for disturbing or harassing wildlife, depending on what you're doing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimesTen
I live in canada and have taken very nice video in national parks. I go when it is not busy. I find a private place to take off. I go straight up to at least 250 feet. Most times 350 feet. Mavic can't be seen or heard up there. I fly around and get the video I want and then come back and straight down. Pack everything away and go about my day in the park with my family.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Nicely done. I like it..

The reason for banning drones over national parks isn't so much as per the FAA but park rules.
They don't want you scaring wildlife with your drone.
So the answer to any of you thinking you can fly over the park as long as you takeoff and land outside of it, is still NO!

It's too bad we are put in a position of finding ways around, or ignoring stupid or overly restrictive laws.

Here in America (some of us) like to say It's better to have no law in the first place. But unfortunately, the trend here, is toward more and more, and not less.

End political rant.

The issue here is related to ignorant drone flyers that make the news, AKA Dridiot (Drone-flying idiot).

Like in this video, the uploader of the video isn't the owner of the Phantom, he's just sharing the video for the real owner (and as*h**e) who crashed the drone in the highway

The reason for banning drones over national parks isn't so much as per the FAA but park rules.
So the answer to any of you thinking you can fly over the park as long as you takeoff and land outside of it, is still NO!

Sorry I was referring to city and state parks not national...

They should also ban Harley Davidson..

Btw, I'm not disagreeing with you.

I live in irvine and according to the irvine pd it is illegal to fly at the parks here as well.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78