DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orange County CA- Mavic Grounded

It's too bad we are put in a position of finding ways around, or ignoring stupid or overly restrictive laws.

Here in America (some of us) like to say It's better to have no law in the first place. But unfortunately, the trend here, is toward more and more, and not less.

End political rant.
Better to ask forgiveness than permission? Haha.

Reactions: SoCal_Mavic
This is just too appropriate to not post.

WsFFvaz.jpg

So take off from a neighboring property, then fly over NPS lands... except, now you have to fly beyond VLOS. They get you either way. Land of the Free. Home of the Brave. Not anymore, I'm afraid.

I have only run into one issue while videoing Great White Sharks on Cape Cod from Cape Cod National Seashore managed by NPS. The Ranger was polite and provided a link to the regulation. On the very last page NPS clearly states the the FAA has authority over all airspace above NPS and that the regulation only restricts takeoff/landing and flying while standing on NPS managed land or in this case from a boat up to 1 mile offshore. As long as you don't operate on NPS land you are OK.
So I continue to fly over NPS managed beaches chasing sharks during off-season when nobody is around and I am standing on town property (boat launches) where the town does not have a restriction yet

I'd love to find a similar way to do this down at my condo in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. It's on Okaloosa Island, which is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore (NPS equivalent). The entire island is NPS, the condos are all strictly leasing the land they are built on.

But that's a moot point. All of the air is under the auspices of multiple military bases nearby and it would be nearly impossible to get clearance from them.

Oh well, I wish I could take video of this from the air:

Attachments

• 2016-08-16 19.18.24.jpg
    2016-08-16 19.18.24.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 67
When they (local govts) make it too restrictive, they will have more and more people saying **** it and flying wherever, whenever and however they feel like. And that's not good for either side as it will further stigmatize the drone community in the public eye and decrease safety for all.
Here in AZ our governor signed a law that reigned in all the various local city and county statutes concerning drones basically making it illegal for them to restrict drone activity beyond the state guidelines which mostly reflect Part 107 guidelines. I wish more states would follow suit.

Interesting. A lot of states and municipalities have done battle with the FAA over airspace, and the FAA generally wins,... but that almost always concerns full sized aircraft, which have a very strong lobby. I don't think we have a lobby, no?

I think by "propelled objects such as balls" they mean like air guns, nerf guns, potato guns (hahaha) etc. The radio control part is a STATE PARKS ordinance in California... although most of the time they ignore that rule. They have been flying R/C at Folsom Lake State Park for over 30 years...
I live 10 miles from there, and fly the park often, great place to fly just stay away from the Dam.

Believe it or not many federal, state, and city/town parks prohibit remote controlled vehicles to include aircraft, boats, cars. Seems like we are always getting chased off one place or another.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Not really gray from a federal legal standpoint. If you take off and land outside the park boundaries, you are legal to fly anywhere, except restricted airspace "as defined by the FAA".

Exactly.... sometimes you can take off elsewhere not within the park boundaries and still get the video you want. I always fly conservatively and cooperate if ever asked upon by Rangers etc...

Reactions: SoCal_Mavic
You may want to consider moving a little south down to San Diego where (most) people and things are more laid back and there's a thriving drone community and businesses. The local SEFSD club offers a great site for flying drones and also a large group gathers on Sunday mornings at varying sites around the county where you can fly without bothering no one.

My town has no park restrictions. I fly with respect for my surroundings (don't bug the dad and son fishing on the dock, the people walking their baby and dog, etc.) and it's all cool.

Still wondering what my neighbors think. Luckily my direct neighbor on one side is intrigued and likes it. I don't hover near houses, take it up and out (over city land) and keep it moving.

The way I look at it is "If i were on the ground, what would I think of the pilot, is he bothering me?"... that guides my flights.

I live in the city of Orange in OC CA and recently was flying at the local park I have flown at for the past couple years. I was caught off guard when a "park ranger" came up to me and told me it was illegal to fly in the park. I didn't want to make a stink so I landed and spoke to him to try and find out what this rule was.
I did inform him that I was registered and was following the FAA guidelines. He was not pushy by any means but told me it was a city Ordinance - 12.48.060 which I will attach.

Needless to say I'm a bit bummed about this situation. I called City Hall and they forwarded me to City attorney who said it is "Illegal" to fly in any park in the city of Orange. I explained to him that's not how the code reads to me- he said "I understand how you feel" but you can't fly in any park in the city of Orange.

Curious if any other Orange County residents or anyone else trying to fly have had any issues like what I experienced.

Thanks,
Matt

View attachment 4081
I live in the city of Orange in OC CA and recently was flying at the local park I have flown at for the past couple years. I was caught off guard when a "park ranger" came up to me and told me it was illegal to fly in the park. I didn't want to make a stink so I landed and spoke to him to try and find out what this rule was.
I did inform him that I was registered and was following the FAA guidelines. He was not pushy by any means but told me it was a city Ordinance - 12.48.060 which I will attach.

Needless to say I'm a bit bummed about this situation. I called City Hall and they forwarded me to City attorney who said it is "Illegal" to fly in any park in the city of Orange. I explained to him that's not how the code reads to me- he said "I understand how you feel" but you can't fly in any park in the city of Orange.

Curious if any other Orange County residents or anyone else trying to fly have had any issues like what I experienced.

Thanks,
Matt

View attachment 4081

I live in the city of Boca Raton, FL Same situation here. While it's not yet county wide (Palm Beach County), it soon will be. There's been talk of requiring a commercial drone pilots license and paying a county fee to fly in Palm Beach County parks. Politicians looking for any and every way to tax residents... no surprise here.

Alot of neighborhoods in SoCal have implimented RC restrictions in public parks. The entire City of LA created such harsh ordinances it was nearly impossible to put a drone in the sky for fear of the LAPD rolling up. Another 5 months and this place will be in my rear view mirror.

Same here in NorCal. All regional parks have a no "motorized toys/vehicles" ordinance in place. It's brutal :(

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes