DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Orbit of Diamond Head Crater Summit, Oahu Hawaii

Climbed up to the top twice over the years

Got there from Scotland in 2010. (Tour of West Coast and added a week in Hawaii). Do not remember it being that busy at the top though.

I was further out (~400'?) than the footage implies - I cropped the video in post using editing sw to give the impression of being much closer.

Did you need waivers from Hawaii State Parks and how difficult were they to obtain? I assume since you live there, you may have had an easier time. I'd love to do this on my next visit, but failed to plan ahead last time.

Bit crowded at the top, glad it's dormant. Never went up there when I lived on Oahu, long before drones. Thanks for the view

Did you need waivers from Hawaii State Parks and how difficult were they to obtain? I assume since you live there, you may have had an easier time. I'd love to do this on my next visit, but failed to plan ahead last time.
I've been flying my Air 2 all over Oahu for 18 months now. The only restrictions I've encountered were areas clearly marked with signage as "no fly" zones (such as Ford Island), and geofenced areas due to their proximity to airport control zones or military installations. As far as state parks are concerned, it's kind of inconsistent whether drones are allowed. For instance, there is a "general" rule that drones are not allowed in any Hawaiian state park, yet there are parks (such as Sandy Beach) that say drone flights are ok. There is currently no on-site signage at the state parks that I have visited indicating drone usage either way. I know of no waiver program for the state parks. Perhaps one is possible if you are Part 107 certified.

For me, I typically will go to a spot on an off day and hour (weekday, early morning), have a specific flight plan in mind, observe all standard flight safety rules, and make sure I don't do anything stupid. I have never (so far) had even a hint of a problem. I also always carry my registration card and TRUST certificate, but have never yet had to show them. My Air 2 is also clearly marked as registered

The only other caution I have is that the islands can be quite windy much of the year. This presents possible controllability issues - Pali Lookout on Oahu is a tempting flight location, but frequent high winds, many tourists and its location in a narrow mountain pass make it a very risky flight. The wind negatively impacts battery endurance as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geofff
Wasn't as busy late 60s but the winds haven't changed. Great for kites

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661