DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oregon Drone owners, we need your help. Pronto!

Vic Moss

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Folks, we need your help.

Please comment on the Oregon drone rule language. It's actually very nicely written. It allows drone except where it will cause conflict with people or wildlife.

Right now the anti-drone crowd leads the pro-drone crowd by 10%. If we can get around 75 more pro-drone comments, we'll catch up. Commenting deadline is 4/7/22. Please help Oregon drone operators be allowed to fly in Oregon State Parks where it's safe. Even if you don't live in Oregon, you can use these rules (if they pass) in your state.

Please comment.

We can make a huge difference. Mention you like the way the proposed rules allow drone use where safe, and will forbid drones where they shouldn't be. Each park will work with stakeholders and figure that out once it passes.

Again, please, please, comment. If we can get 100 people to comment positively for drones by 4/7/22, we can get this passed. https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/PRP/Pages/PRP-rulemaking.aspx

For more details, you can check out our call to action article as well: https://dspalliance.org/call-to-action-oregon-state-parks/

Reading the comments, people are so weak it makes me cringe. The idea that a small drone flying around the coast is distractingly loud is laughable.

All of the problems people cite only occur if the drone is flying within feet of them. And I've flown feet over horses - thoroughbreds known for being easily spooked - and they don't even look up.

This is an important issue even if you don't live in Oregon. This could set a precedent all over the US. Please comment and let's make sure they don't take away more of our rights to fly in State Parks. We are already excluded from flying in National Parks, National Monuments, Wilderness areas and Wildlife refuges.

Reactions: Vic Moss
This is an important issue even if you don't live in Oregon. This could set a precedent all over the US. Please comment and let's make sure they don't take away more of our rights to fly in State Parks. We are already excluded from flying in National Parks, National Monuments, Wilderness areas and Wildlife refuges.
Eagle Eye, I agree with your concern that this is an important issue for all of us. New Mexico where I live and Hawaii where we're going in a month both forbid drones take off and landings in state parks.

I commented positively on the legislation about 2 weeks ago. As a Washingtonian, it seems like the two states compete hard to see which one can restrict the most freedoms.

The idea that a small drone flying around the coast is distractingly

All of the problems people cite only occur if the drone is flying within feet of them. And I've flown feet over horses - thoroughbreds known for being easily spooked -
See attached taken with Mavic 2 Pro. At Cannon Beach Oregon, it was clearly stated to stay 1000' from rocks as these are home to endangered nesting birds. In addition to keeping distance from rocks I was on beach 20 minutes before sunrise to minimize flying over people.

2nd attached was taken a little later with DSLR.

SmartSelect_20220406-090108_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20220406-091514_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: skycam509
Folks, we need your help.

Please comment on the Oregon drone rule language. It's actually very nicely written. It allows drone except where it will cause conflict with people or wildlife.

Right now the anti-drone crowd leads the pro-drone crowd by 10%. If we can get around 75 more pro-drone comments, we'll catch up. Commenting deadline is 4/7/22. Please help Oregon drone operators be allowed to fly in Oregon State Parks where it's safe. Even if you don't live in Oregon, you can use these rules (if they pass) in your state.

Please comment.

We can make a huge difference. Mention you like the way the proposed rules allow drone use where safe, and will forbid drones where they shouldn't be. Each park will work with stakeholders and figure that out once it passes.

Again, please, please, comment. If we can get 100 people to comment positively for drones by 4/7/22, we can get this passed. https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/PRP/Pages/PRP-rulemaking.aspx

For more details, you can check out our call to action article as well: https://dspalliance.org/call-to-action-oregon-state-parks/
Hi Vic,

I submitted my comment just now. Hope it helps. Thanks for calling attention to this.

Bob

• Love
Reactions: Vic Moss
The comment period has been extended to April 15 - there's still time for your voice to be heard!

Reactions: dirkclod
Sorry I didn't see this post in time to help out. I live in Washington where you cannot fly in any state park. We travel to Oregon frequently and I love shooting there with my drone. I am very conscious of the rules regarding wildlife refuges, but in areas where these don't apply, I have noticed that wildlife seems completely unaware of the drone, as others have mentioned. I think the ocean noise drowns it out.
Thanks for your efforts to keep the state parks open to us. I will help anyway I can in the future.

Sorry I didn't see this post in time to help out. I live in Washington where you cannot fly in any state park. We travel to Oregon frequently and I love shooting there with my drone. I am very conscious of the rules regarding wildlife refuges, but in areas where these don't apply, I have noticed that wildlife seems completely unaware of the drone, as others have mentioned. I think the ocean noise drowns it out.
Thanks for your efforts to keep the state parks open to us. I will help anyway I can in the future.
Not too late. They extended the date to respond to April 15th.

I took advantage of the extended window and just got my comments in. I live in Washington where we can't take-off or land in any state parks but fortunately I spend most of my flight time along the Oregon coast. I do go out of my way to avoid the sea stacks with nesting areas and use unmarked turnouts to launch so I can avoid parking lots around popular viewpoints. Most of my drone photography consists of views from over the water looking back at the coastline so I am rarely flying over people if at all. This is from the Samuel Boardman Scenic Corridor on a flight that never was near either people or sea bird nesting areas:

MouthSealCove2.jpg

Reading the comments, people are so weak it makes me cringe. The idea that a small drone flying around the coast is distractingly loud is laughable.

All of the problems people cite only occur if the drone is flying within feet of them. And I've flown feet over horses - thoroughbreds known for being easily spooked - and they don't even look up.
These same people think nothing of motorcycles in parks and other powered craft at the beach.

Reactions: thispilothere
I took advantage of the extended window and just got my comments in. I live in Washington where we can't take-off or land in any state parks but fortunately I spend most of my flight time along the Oregon coast. I do go out of my way to avoid the sea stacks with nesting areas and use unmarked turnouts to launch so I can avoid parking lots around popular viewpoints. Most of my drone photography consists of views from over the water looking back at the coastline so I am rarely flying over people if at all. This is from the Samuel Boardman Scenic Corridor on a flight that never was near either people or sea bird nesting areas:

View attachment 146495
I am a Washingtonian, as well, and do the exact same thing to avoid the crowds. Most people are never aware that there is a drone in the air. I even use some geometry to make sure I'm staying at least 500' away from designated protected areas. I doubt that there would ever be any chance of changing the State Park rules in Washington.

I just left my comments. I’ve been preparing for, and looking forward to, a trip to Oregon with my drone to shoot and see an old friend-and appreciate the heads up on the possible rule change.

I left a comment, but have a major concern with the new rule. Section 9f allows for the park director (or designee) to define no fly areas in the parks. I'm concerned that will lead to what we have in California, where most of the state park region superintendents have just issued blanket rules prohibiting flight in nearly all state parks.

Reactions: thispilothere
I left my comment also . I'm located in Denmark but didn't have to mention that in the details there.

I went through all of the comments and as a resident of Central Oregon I can say that my hackles raised as I did that. It seems that only the coastline is the state of Oregon. The rest of us don't count. There are many places on the east side of the Cascades where drone flying would have little impact on wildlife.

In any case, I did comment in support of local areas be considered and not to allow coastal Oregon to regulate the rest of the state. Hope it has an impact.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242