DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orientation Question

Most of my flying experience is with a Blade 350QX with a GoPro slung underneath. When flying it, I stayed pretty much in "safe mode" which would move the drone in the direction of stick input regardless of where the nose was pointed---if you moved the right stick to the rear, for instance, the drone would move back without regard to where the nose was facing.

How do stick inputs on the Mavic 2 move the drone as it relates to its orientation?

Thanks!
What you are describing is a facility commonly known as 'Headless Mode'. My Mavic Pro Platinum will fly like that with the following settings:
1) Intelligent mode / Course Lock ... In this mode, the Mavic will fly forward or backward along the course that you pointed it at when you engaged CL, and will continue to do so no matter where the nose is pointed e.g. you could point the nose back at you and pull back on the right stick (mode 2), and the drone would come toward you ...
2) Intelligent Mode / Home Lock ... In this mode, the Mavic can be anywhere out and away from you. If you engage this mode, the Mavic will register a course between it and the [take-off] Home Point. Pulling back on the right stick will fly the Mavic directly back toward you no matter what direction the nose is pointed!

If you are looking for a way to replicate headless mode as a 'get out of trouble' facility, then you have that with the 'Home Lock' facility ... It's going to do just what your 'Safe Mode' does on the Blade drone. Have fun & fly safe ...

Hey there JAW. I don’t want to be “that guy”, but just get heaps of practice with relying on the safe mode. I used to teach guys with the 350qx back when it came out, and I agree that the safe mode was a great thing when confidence was low. But I really encouraged not relying on this and learning/practicing getting used to orientation. If you are still flying the blade, start practicing and getting your muscle memory sorted. If you have been flying for a long time with safe mode on the blade, it’s going to take some time to break from the reliance of this, but it is well worth the effort.
You will definitely love the mavic, which ever one you choose.

You have me itching to get my 350qx’s out of mothballs again. It was such a great drone for its time :)

Reactions: ff22
Got it.
Unlike the 350QX which, when in safe mode, always follows the stick input regardless of the craft's orientation. It was problematical for me (and my 70+ year old eyes) to know which way the front of the drone faced when it was a distance away. Safe Mode solved the issue for me on that drone.

The easiest way to know where the drone is facing if you can't determine this visually is to look at the heading indicator on the map view of the Go4 app. the red pointer is the front of the drone and If you are located at the place you took off from (Home Point) you simply Yaw the drone using the left control stick left or right and watch the pointer in relation to the "H" on the map. On bright sunny days here in Arizona, the LEDs are of little use in determining the drone heading once the drone is a hundred feet or more from you. Although the drone is relatively easy to see at a distance of 1000 feet and against a blue sky, I doubt many can determine the front of the drone at that distance with the naked eye. At least not us older flyers. The app provides many useful navigation features that help.

Reactions: ff22 and JAW
The easiest way to know where the drone is facing if you can't determine this visually is to look at the heading indicator on the map view of the Go4 app. the red pointer is the front of the drone and If you are located at the place you took off from (Home Point) you simply Yaw the drone using the left control stick left or right and watch the pointer in relation to the "H" on the map. On bright sunny days here in Arizona, the LEDs are of little use in determining the drone heading once the drone is a hundred feet or more from you. Although the drone is relatively easy to see at a distance of 1000 feet and against a blue sky, I doubt many can determine the front of the drone at that distance with the naked eye. At least not us older flyers. The app provides many useful navigation features that help.

I have got to remember that Heading Indicator!

The other day in bright sun and total snow, It was definitely impossible to tell which way it was pointing. I landed and attached only two red Strobon strobe lights to the front - it really made a difference. Even a passerby noticed when I turned it back toward me. I originally purchased them because I would lose sight of the drone when it was in the tree line. Gray drone against green firs was almost impossible to see.

I have got to remember that Heading Indicator!

The other day in bright sun and total snow, It was definitely impossible to tell which way it was pointing. I landed and attached only two red Strobon strobe lights to the front - it really made a difference. Even a passerby noticed when I turned it back toward me. I originally purchased them because I would lose sight of the drone when it was in the tree line. Gray drone against green firs was almost impossible to see.

I have the same exact problem. Like you, I live in the forest (100 to 150 ft trees all around me) and have a heck of a time relocating the drone (after I glance at the screen) when it is at, or below the tree line. Been thinking about adding strobes but am reluctant to add aftermarket anything at this point. Now, I just wiggle it around and then can usually spot it.

I have the same exact problem. Like you, I live in the forest (100 to 150 ft trees all around me) and have a heck of a time relocating the drone (after I glance at the screen) when it is at, or below the tree line. Been thinking about adding strobes but am reluctant to add aftermarket anything at this point. Now, I just wiggle it around and then can usually spot it.

They are very light. While I did purchase brackets for them, they have to be removed when folding the drone. So I opted for velcro pieces on the front of the front arms and on the back of the back arms. I added complementary pieces on the four lights. I opted for two white (brightest) and two red (next brightest) for my own ability to distinguish front/rear.

They are very light. While I did purchase brackets for them, they have to be removed when folding the drone. So I opted for velcro pieces on the front of the front arms and on the back of the back arms. I added complementary pieces on the four lights. I opted for two white (brightest) and two red (next brightest) for my own ability to distinguish front/rear.

Thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctiptonk