DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Osmo Pocket Wireless module vs. Lightning adapter - bug or defect? Please help me testing this!

Pac

Reactions
Hello!

I have found an issue with my Osmo Pocket regarding the wireless adapter.
If I have the Lightning adapter connected so that the left side sticks out to connect the phone, the osmo pocket tells me to disconnect it in order to use the wireless module. This is as expected and working as supposed.

However, if I have the lightning adapter in "storage position" (connector side to the ride), the wireless module is not recognized on startup and I do not get any message telling me to remove the adapter. If i then move the lightning adapter a bit to the left, the wireless module gets connected. If I push it back in, the module STAYS ONLINE. It is only not working and not showing the message to remove the adapter if the adapter is full inserted AND the Osmo Pocket is restarted.

This does not happen with the USB-C adapter!

I also created a short video if you want to watch it in detail:

I would be happy to get some feedback if this only happens to me or if it is an issue with all Pocket/Wireless modules/Lightning adapters. I already contacted DJI but the first answer was "it is working correct, it tells you onscreen to remove the adapter so you can use the wireless module"... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I've put my Lightning adapter in storage mode fully in, installed the wireless module then powered on and I get the "wireless module conected" message and it is working.

Reactions: Pac
No issues here with both adapters in storage mode. Turn on, wireless adapter connects and she's good to go.

Hello!

I have found an issue with my Osmo Pocket regarding the wireless adapter.
If I have the Lightning adapter connected so that the left side sticks out to connect the phone, the osmo pocket tells me to disconnect it in order to use the wireless module. This is as expected and working as supposed.

However, if I have the lightning adapter in "storage position" (connector side to the ride), the wireless module is not recognized on startup and I do not get any message telling me to remove the adapter. If i then move the lightning adapter a bit to the left, the wireless module gets connected. If I push it back in, the module STAYS ONLINE. It is only not working and not showing the message to remove the adapter if the adapter is full inserted AND the Osmo Pocket is restarted.

This does not happen with the USB-C adapter!

I also created a short video if you want to watch it in detail:

I would be happy to get some feedback if this only happens to me or if it is an issue with all Pocket/Wireless modules/Lightning adapters. I already contacted DJI but the first answer was "it is working correct, it tells you onscreen to remove the adapter so you can use the wireless module"... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

I am seeing the same behavior as the OP when the Lightning adapter is in storage mode while powering on the Osmo Pocket - i.e., I do not see the 'Wireless Module Connected' message (nor do I see the red indicator light on the wireless module itself) until I pull the Lightning connector out slightly. And just like the OP, I can then push the connector fully into the storage position and the wireless module stays connected (i.e., the red indicator light stays on).

One thing I am a little confused by is that the Mimo app does not automatically re-connect to the wireless module after:
1. Connecting the wireless adapter to the OSMO pocket
2. Powering on the Osmo Pocket
3. Observing the 'Wireless Module Connected' message as well as the red indicator light
4. Starting the Mimo app and entering the Camera screen

Instead, when I enter camera mode in the Mimo app it immediately puts me into the 'CONNECTION HELP' screen where you can choose between SMARTPHONE ADAPTER and BLUETOOTH. Selecting BLUETOOTH prompts you to connect to the OsmoPocket-XXXXXX and if you tap 'Connect' it asks you if you want to join the Osmo's WiFi network. That is confusing to me - is it connecting via WiFi or Bluetooth? Well even though the option is labeled BLUETOOTH it appears to be connecting via WiFi since that is the connection I see when I go into my phone's settings screen (BTW - my phone is an iPhone X running the latest IOS) - I can see an active WiFi connection to the OSMO but no active Bluetooth connection although the OSMO does show up as an unconnected (i.e., unpaired) Bluetooth device. Also I am never asked for the default WiFi password of 12341234 when connecting. Anybody else seeing this?

Reactions: Pac
**UPDATE**
After my previous post where I noted that I was able to reproduce the behavior described by the OP, I have since seen this work properly - i.e., with the Lightning connector in the storage position and the Wireless Module connected, the Wireless Module now connects when the OSMO is powered on. It is possible that the difference maker here might be the charge level on the OSMO pocket - i.e., when I did the original test the charge level of the OSMO was less than 50%. After posting my original response above I plugged the OSMO into a power source and after randomly turning it on when it was at an ~81% charge level the wireless module activated! I was able to power down/up multiple times and it continues to work. This could be a red herring or it could be the explanation for the original behavior. Interestingly the OP said that it worked for him with the USB-C connector (which I didn't try when I was at < 50% power) - it seems unlikely that power level would affect one connector and not the other but hey - who knows ;-)

Reactions: Pac and fozzzy
Thanks bytebiz! I was confused as well as I thought the wireless module was working with the lightning adapter sometimes... but most time it doesnt, I also thought it has something to do with charge level - but you are the first to confirm the issue, others said they dont have the issue.
WEIRD! For the moment I didnt recognize a difference by charge level but I will continue testing now.

Reactions: bytebiz
I let my OP discharge down to 20 percent yesterday and the Wireless Module connected normally.

Did you have the problems described with the lightning adapter or does it work all the time no matter what charge level?

Nope, no problems with the Lightning adapter. In stow mode, wireless module works fine and in the normal position, the OP alerts you to remove it in order to connect. Charge level didn't seem to have any effect on anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
motiongraphics50