Reactions
  • Set alarm
  • Get up at daybreak
  • It is 32* (0 C) outside but you have coffee, a coat, and a hat
  • Get to your shoot location right at daybreak
  • Set 15 minute run of hyperlapse sunrise over the river
  • Perfect
  • Do some dang good flying
  • Heck you even manage to follow some ducks down into the water and not spook them when they land as the sun is rising with its golden glow
  • Money shot
  • Get home ready to work
and

ss (2019-03-17 at 09.24.01).png

AHHHHHH!!!!

I formatted the card from the smart controller before I started but it was a U1 not a U3 card. I thought it would just drop a frame here and there or switch to the internal memory. Lesson learned. Trying to recover using SANDisks Rescue Pro now.

What a strange coincidence! My Son had the same experience yesterday....go figure.:rolleyes:

• Set alarm
  • Get up at daybreak
  • It is 32* (0 C) outside but you have coffee, a coat, and a hat
  • Get to your shoot location right at daybreak
  • Set 15 minute run of hyperlapse sunrise over the river
  • Perfect
  • Do some dang good flying
  • Heck you even manage to follow some ducks down into the water and not spook them when they land as the sun is rising with its golden glow
  • Money shot
  • Get home ready to work
and

View attachment 66334

AHHHHHH!!!!

I formatted the card from the smart controller before I started but it was a U1 not a U3 card. I thought it would just drop a frame here and there or switch to the internal memory. Lesson learned. Trying to recover using SANDisks Rescue Pro now.

I know the feeling. I painted a huge "S" (Stupid) on my forehead for a day after this one: Beautiful Southern California day, at the coast North of San Diego. Saw a fishing trawler ploughing Northbound about a mile off the coast and decided to fly out and capture some "action" video. Sport mode with my M2Z made for a quick trip to the vessel, actually saw some dolphins on the way out. Lots of waves from the crew of this commercial craft as I circled around a couple of times then did a "Reverse reveal shot" off the bow as she moved toward me. Wow, I'm thinking, I'm getting pretty good at this. As and if you read on, keep in mind I am a retired 23,000 hour retired airline pilot with another 6,000 hours in helicopters. My vocational career featured a structured environment. CHECKLISTS, CREW COORDINATION, (12 HOURS FROM BOTTLE TO THROTTLE) for 31 years. So the RTH was uneventful, I burned through four more batteries and called it day. At this point I can't wait to see the video I so eagerly took. Short answer: I forgot to turn the camera on !!!!! So now I am back to checklists. Good thing I don't have my flight physical anymore. "Terror in the Skys". Hope all you Mavicers have a great day.

Attachments

• QhcXQ4QSQdKbZWlC+83lvQ.jpg
    QhcXQ4QSQdKbZWlC+83lvQ.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 204
I know the feeling. I painted a huge "S" (Stupid) on my forehead for a day after this one: Beautiful Southern California day, at the coast North of San Diego. Saw a fishing trawler ploughing Northbound about a mile off the coast and decided to fly out and capture some "action" video. Sport mode with my M2Z made for a quick trip to the vessel, actually saw some dolphins on the way out. Lots of waves from the crew of this commercial craft as I circled around a couple of times then did a "Reverse reveal shot" off the bow as she moved toward me. Wow, I'm thinking, I'm getting pretty good at this. As and if you read on, keep in mind I am a retired 23,000 hour retired airline pilot with another 6,000 hours in helicopters. My vocational career featured a structured environment. CHECKLISTS, CREW COORDINATION, (12 HOURS FROM BOTTLE TO THROTTLE) for 31 years. So the RTH was uneventful, I burned through four more batteries and called it day. At this point I can't wait to see the video I so eagerly took. Short answer: I forgot to turn the camera on !!!!! So now I am back to checklists. Good thing I don't have my flight physical anymore. "Terror in the Skys". Hope all you Mavicers have a great day.

While I'm sure that unnecessary prompts are distracting, I would not mind on that basically flashed for a few seconds "Do you want to film this flight?"

Oh man, I can imagine the frustration.

I had my big “S” on my forehead moment when I was out flying around and taking various short video clips. I would film something and then reposition and then film again. I did this with several different spots. After I downloaded the clips I realized that I had filmed all the repositioning moments rather than the objects of interest. The camera was off when I thought it was on and visa-versa. I now check, and doublecheck, that the video duration timer is moving at the start of the shot.

I have found, generally, that most things work much better when you turn them on. Join the club. Who, of us, has not done the same exact, dumb things. Don't be so hard on yourself. We all do it. I got some great footage, or so I thought, when I left the house early, got to my perfect spot, and shot some great footage, only to discover no SD card loaded, and video was limited to 8GB.

Guilty of the above infractions myself. Click a picture instead of shoot video or vice versa. Get back home and check footage of nothing. UGH! - fly safe and keep practicing!

Oh man...just what I'd do. I feel your pain.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Join the club..as they say....but one of the best things about a drone is...your going to get a even better shot down the road. bummer about the dolphins though..I never seem to get my camera out in time for those.

Dji go4 should give you the option to start cam on take off like litchi does it would save a lot of heart break even bebop gives you the option

But that wasn't OPs problem. Wrong card was. I'm surprised it didn't warn about the slow card. Also surprised Windows found the file system corrupt rather than just the video file. Probably FAT table couldn't get updated fast enough.

A slow card on its own wouldn't corrupt the entire card, normally I find it results in a lot of dropped frames in the video and I could see it potentially corrupting a video file but not the entire card. I've used a Lexar U1 card with the Mavic 2 Pro and it's worked without issue apart from when I forgot to stop recording when I powered the Mavic off which was entirely my fault.

Success with data recovery can vary hugely depending on what caused the problem in the first place, in some cases I've been able to recover almost everything from a failed drive but other times I've managed almost nothing. Solid state devices can be more difficult to get data from and large files like videos are the most difficult type to recover because any corruption or data loss within their allocated data can mean the video can't be recovered whereas very small files can often be easily recovered.

It's possible the FAT table became corrupt due to not being able to update it fast enough, and that's what Windows is detecting.

It's possible the FAT table became corrupt due to not being able to update it fast enough, and that's what Windows is detecting.

No it's not possible, if that was the case it would make the FAT filing system entirely unusable as you'd frequently be at the risk of losing the entire file system from any write errors. The amount of partition data is very small and it's one of the reasons FAT32 has been so prevalent on external devices (on top of it being effectively license free) as it's a very lightweight file system. The flip side of that is that files are more vulnerable corruption but not the entire partition, something has definitely gone wrong for the OP but it's not caused by using too slow an SD card. Given the low cost of micro SD cards I certainly wouldn't use that one again because it looks like it's failed somewhere.

Reactions: anotherlab
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000