DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Other uses on the ground?

ReadyKilowatt

Reactions
The other day I got to thinking about other things that could be done with these amazing little birds on the ground. I know that they can be used as gimbaled cameras for steady shot video, but what about a remote video feed? So tonight while I was waiting for the wind to die down I ran a test:

View media item 835
This was a screen grab from my phone, using the remote. I'm about a block away from my living room, through several other houses and trees (could not see my house) and I still had pretty good video (not laggy or skipping frames) if I pointed the antennas back toward the house. I know that the distance line of sight and at 200' up is very good, but I'm impressed by just how well it works through ground clutter. This is just sitting on my coffee table, ground floor, stock antennas.

Seems like this combined with an app like Switcher Pro could be a pretty nice setup for multi camera setups. Just set up an RTMP server and go. Only thing would be possible problems with latency, but in a studio setting it might not be that bad. Has anyone done any live streaming with the app, especially with a custom RTMP server?

I've been totally amazed at how well the Mavic performs with signal transmission.
You can fly out a few hundred meters then point the Tx antennae straight at the craft and still not lose a bar of strength. That's the weakest portion of the signal from the tips of the antennae.
It also does remarkably well at filtering noise. None of my other UAV's come close to this level of signal quality, and one of my Tx's cost NZ$1000. Although that Tx tells me signal strength quite accurately, so when it says 90% the Mavic Tx might still have all bars showing but then drop off more rapidly.
Would be neat to see what is possible on the ground as you suggest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe