DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ottawa toughens rules for operating recreational drones

My wife just got me a mavic. Just setting it up now. Im wondering if any of the other Canadians Put there name and number on there drones? Also, Do you have insurance on them if your just recreational?

My wife just got me a mavic. Just setting it up now. Im wondering if any of the other Canadians Put there name and number on there drones? Also, Do you have insurance on them if your just recreational?
Name and number, YES.
Address,.. hell no!!

If you can find an insurance company that has a policy for recreational drones I would say jump on it. I'm having a hard time in manitoba finding insurance.

Name and number, YES.
Address,.. **** no!!

If you can find an insurance company that has a policy for recreational drones I would say jump on it. I'm having a hard time in manitoba finding insurance.
Thanks, Im in ontario. I wasn't sure if you had to get insurance if its just a hobby. Im new to this to trying to figure out what I need.

I echo what Mustaine says, I put my name and number only, no address. (even though the new law does call for address, I disagree with the privacy issue that raises). I think by putting name and number we're supporting the "spirit" of the law.

As for insurance, a couple things:
I'm working on getting insurance through UUAG for members. Which I hope to make very affordable. There are other insurance providers that will insure you in Canada as a recreational pilot, but they will likely charge between $400 and $600 per year for basic minimal liability coverage.

I'm hoping with UUAG to significantly beat that. I'm working with insurers already on a group plan that would cover members. But it's taking time. Until then I highly recommend you hit our site at www.uuag.ca and fill in your information if you are interested. The more numbers I have on the "interested" list, the stronger negotiating position I'm in with insurers. Right now it's no commitment, just registering interest, and providing some info about what you'd hope to get out of the group. We're working out all the details and logistics of standing the organization up formally very soon, at which time formal membership costs, benefits, and processes will be announced.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry I should add. You don't currently need insurance as a recreational pilot. However the new laws being drafted which are expected this summer, do look like they will add mandatory liability insurance coverage for both recreational and commercial pilots. Still speculative though, as final version hasn't been announced yet.

I echo what Mustaine says, I put my name and number only, no address. (even though the new law does call for address, I disagree with the privacy issue that raises). I think by putting name and number we're supporting the "spirit" of the law.

As for insurance, a couple things:
I'm working on getting insurance through UUAG for members. Which I hope to make very affordable. There are other insurance providers that will insure you in Canada as a recreational pilot, but they will likely charge between $400 and $600 per year for basic minimal liability coverage.

I'm hoping with UUAG to significantly beat that. I'm working with insurers already on a group plan that would cover members. But it's taking time. Until then I highly recommend you hit our site at www.uuag.ca and fill in your information if you are interested. The more numbers I have on the "interested" list, the stronger negotiating position I'm in with insurers. Right now it's no commitment, just registering interest, and providing some info about what you'd hope to get out of the group. We're working out all the details and logistics of standing the organization up formally very soon, at which time formal membership costs, benefits, and processes will be announced.

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry I should add. You don't currently need insurance as a recreational pilot. However the new laws being drafted which are expected this summer, do look like they will add mandatory liability insurance coverage for both recreational and commercial pilots. Still speculative though, as final version hasn't been announced yet.
Thanks, I will check that out. I was just wondering how many people actually put insurance on there drones.

I put my phone # with 'reward' on mine. I have insurance under my BCAA home policy, no added cost. 1M liability plus 3000 loss/damage coverage per item, (in writing).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3