DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overexposure warning, Color assist and D-log question

Filmarik

Reactions
I posted this question on Mavic3Pro a couple of days ago but no bite so maybe someone here might have an answer?
I wonder what is the correct way to use Overexposure warning and Colorassist when shooting video in D-log. Should the Colorassist be on or off? The reason I ask is that what is on display affects the histogram hence the overexposure warning. I assume that to be able to best evaluate the exposure of D-log to prevent blown highlights the Color assist should be disabled, right? If enabled the overexposure warning incorrectly shows areas in the image which are still within the range of D-log dynamic range. Can someone chime in and tell me what is the correct way of doing this? Thanks

Last edited:
I’m not familiar with colorassist. Does colorassist apply the D-log curve to each colour channel separately? D-log squeezes greater dynamic range out of the signal by pulling down the RHS of the histogram and pushing up the shadow area. But using this requires you to have a good transcoder in post, or good color correction skills. It’s not easy unless you’re trained in post processing. The wizards at this are Blackmagic and I find even their transcoders are not perfect. You need to work with the histogram, set to separate colour channels in post, you will be amazed at how much detail can be recovered when using D-log.

I just saw a post on the DJI forum where they point out that Colorassist is only affecting the display on your controller, it has no effect on the clip you download to your computer. It's an effort to reduce the washed out look of D-Log while filming. I just use D-Log and the histogram to adjust settings.

Most cameras when they use a LUT for viewing, the exposure tools just read the LOG info and don't affect the exposure readouts at all.

I just saw a post on the DJI forum where they point out that Colorassist is only affecting the display on your controller, it has no effect on the clip you download to your computer. It's an effort to reduce the washed out look of D-Log while filming. I just use D-Log and the histogram to adjust settings.
Colorassist in an essence applies LUT to the displayed footage on the monitor so we are looking at kind of like finished product rather than the washed out D-log grey look during recording. But Colorassist affects the histogram and the Overexposure warning in Fly App because the histogram and Overexposure warning in Fly App reflects what's on the monitor and not whats in the D-log recorded footage. And there lies the "problem" and hence my question.

Last edited:
Colorassist in an essence applies LUT to the displayed footage on the monitor so we are looking at kind of like finished product rather than the washed out D-log grey look during recording. But Colorassist affects the histogram and the Overexposure warning in Fly App because the histogram and Overexposure warning in Fly App reflects what's on the monitor and not whats in the D-log recorded footage. And there lies the problem and hence my question.
Ok understand, thanks.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wforakerjr