DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overflying local parks

arciere84

Reactions
New-ish pilot here, recently bought a DJI Mini 2.

I live next to a relatively large park. The council it belongs to has a no-drone policy, unless authorised by them. I approached them last week to see if I could be granted a permit but they replied saying that, since they're updating their drone policy, they won't be granting new permits until that's ready (strange way of dealing with policy updates).

That being said, I had a thought: would I be breaking any laws if I were to take off and land from my own garden, but fly over the park? Could the council be against that? (I guess they could, but do they have any rights there?)

Last edited:
Pretty sure the answer is "good to go." just expect issues if your drone lands in the park due to unforeseen events like battery expiration, prop failure, etc. Even then, you're probably okay due to those being accidental events mostly out of your control.

Only the FAA controls the airspace over the park..... launching and landing from private property is permissible. Just follow good judgement when flying and don't go out of your way to upset folks.

Reactions: MAVE (Little bird)
This topic gets debated endlessly here and elsewhere, with no clear conclusion. Many folks believe that, in USA, FAA controls all airspace, so local govt has no say so. Others have argued that FAA governs airspace above 400 feet. and on it goes.

For me, the issue is that even if the FAA governs all airspace, if the locals, especially law enforcement who probably no squat about FAA regs, decides to enforce their local laws, what's my recourse? Go to court? At what cost? Many an individual has found that exercising their "rights" is not always so straightforward, whether for drones, speech, movement, whatever.

YMMV

Reactions: Torque
@arciere84 welcome to the forum
you have to be very careful flying in a big city such as London ,much of the airspace is subject to restrictions with regards to drone flying
with a Mini 2 yes you could technically speaking within the rules as they stand now, take off from your own property, and fly up to 150 ft and then fly over the park ,but as has already been mentioned if something happened, and the drone caused damage to people or property, because of a malfunction, then you could end up facing a civil law suit
to be perfectly honest with you, do you really think that the risk ,is worth the reward ,from such a flight

Reactions: twickers14
Thank you all.

@old man mavic , yes, I know that London is not an easy place to fly, but where I live it's a relatively calm area, especially in late afternoons, where you can be pretty much the only human being in the park and well away from roads and buildings. In terms of airspace restrictions, considering the maximum altitude I'm allowed in any case (400 ft), I won't be breaking any.

My question was pretty much just a "what if" question, I don't think I would risk it, but I was a bit disappointed when my request was turned down because the policy "is being updated", even though under the current policy, individual requests should be considered.

I guess I'll find another spot.

I live next to a relatively large park. The council it belongs to has a no-drone policy, unless authorised by them. I approached them last week to see if I could be granted a permit but they replied saying that, since they're updating their drone policy, they won't be granting new permits until that's ready (strange way of dealing with policy updates).

That being said, I had a thought: would I be breaking any laws if I were to take off and land from my own garden, but fly over the park? Could the council be against that? (I guess they could, but do they have any rights there?)

In the UK the short answer is 'yes you can' for sub 250g drones with cameras like the Mini 2 (take off from your garden and fly over the park) provided that:

- You're not in a FRZ (Class D is OK)
- Any area are you fly is not restricted (Prisons, schools etc.)
- There are no bye-laws prohibiting take off where
- You have your operator ID and sticker affixed to drone

Which park is it a where would you be taking of from (roughly)

See here for high level info and this policy sheet, print it and keep it on you.

When you get above 250g you can fly in the same areas with 50m separation (up 2kg for legacy and 4kg for C2) as long as you get your A2 CoC Certification on top of Operator + Flyer ID very easy to get with a bit of study

Reactions: old man mavic
In the UK the short answer is 'yes you can' for sub 250g drones with cameras like the Mini 2 (take off from your garden and fly over the park) provided that:

- You're not in a FRZ (Class D is OK)
- Any area are you fly is not restricted (Prisons, schools etc.)
- There are no bye-laws prohibiting take off where
- You have your operator ID and sticker affixed to drone

Which park is it a where would you be taking of from (roughly)

See here for high level info and this policy sheet, print it and keep it on you.

When you get above 250g you can fly in the same areas with 50m separation (up 2kg for legacy and 4kg for C2) as long as you get your A2 CoC Certification on top of Operator + Flyer ID very easy to get with a bit of study
Hi, the park is this one and I would be taking off and landing from one of the houses along the perimeter.

The council it belongs to doesn't allow "unauthorised used of drones", however they did say that they would consider individual requests as it was not an outright ban (found it on the internet).

Anyway, as I said earlier, they said that they won't be issuing permits until the "new policies are in place".

Ah OK... This is discussed on Greyarro.ws site... Worth joining too.. There is a PSPO covering this park and others in Brent

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS