DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overseas travel with Mavic Pro.

Ddjmrql

Reactions
Completed my trip from SFO<->South Korea<->MNL with the Mavic and encountered ZERO issues. The bird and controller in their respective cases, and four batteries are housed in a lipo safe bags. I put all these gadgets in a small bag and passed airport security check with no problem. Great experience!

Good to hear. I'm doing Manila, Amsterdam, Nurburgring, Verona, Rome in 9 days time.

Nice! i just did Hawaii<->MNL<->Seoul everything went smoothly. Going to Tokyo in the spring. Hopefully I don't run into any problems.

I am flying from New Zealand to South Africa in the next couple of weeks ... going via Dubai Int. Airport (Emirates) who do not allow drones as carry-on luggage ... so am forced to check my Mavic in with my main luggage ... with all the luggage tampering/theft on the South African side, there's a good chance my Mavic will be stolen. Can you believe that Dubai Int. Airport (Emirates) are the only airport/airline in the world with this policy ... but why??

I am going to Koh Samui. From what I have heard Thailand is not a good country to bring the drone with me in. Is this correct?

going via Dubai Int. Airport (Emirates) who do not allow drones as carry-on luggage ... so am forced to check my Mavic in with my main luggage ... Can you believe that Dubai Int. Airport (Emirates) are the only airport/airline in the world with this policy ... but why??

Where is this written exactly ? and is it a new rule ?

i flew 2 times in/via Dubai this year, with no issues whatsoever

First time in april . was going to Paris but spent 4 days of vacation in Dubai (i even flew the Mavic in the city ~yeah i know it's not allowed)...my Mavic was always in my cabin luggage and TSA never even bothered to look at it as i remember

Second time, in june. was also going to Paris but this time just transiting through Dubai airport : Mavic still in cabin backpack and no issues at all.

both above flights were with Emirates of course.

I am going to Koh Samui. From what I have heard Thailand is not a good country to bring the drone with me in. Is this correct?

another case that i experienced : i went to bangkok last february...Mavic made it without issues through airport TSA and in cabin luggage...then inside bangkok i flew so much, i officially made bangkok my most MAVIC-ed city of all cities i visited lol

am i just lucky or what ?

but anycase regarding drones i have the feeling a lot depends of circumstances and the mood of the security in front of you

am i just lucky or what ?

Could be. With the military junta calling the shots now, I am not sure what to expect. Maybe I will leave my Mavic at home and buy something cheap with a FullHD camera down there.

Guys who traveled and exited MNL,do you need a permit for the drone?
I heard from somewhere that if you don't have a permit you're required to pay import tax, is that true?
If so where do you get that permit?
Travelling that area next month, SF->MNL->SIN->Japan-Korea-SF-SMF.

No permit needed to bring the drone in Manila BUT if you want to fly in historic places like Luneta park, you need a special permit from civil aviation and city hall. Accdg to the park police, they have to this due to drone crashing or getting caught in the trees.

I just got back to the US from Zürich. Took the drone with me and never had an issue with security. In Nashville TN today and flying back to Raleigh NC. The Mavic went through security and no problems or questions.

I am flying from New Zealand to South Africa in the next couple of weeks ... going via Dubai Int. Airport (Emirates) who do not allow drones as carry-on luggage ... so am forced to check my Mavic in with my main luggage ... with all the luggage tampering/theft on the South African side, there's a good chance my Mavic will be stolen. Can you believe that Dubai Int. Airport (Emirates) are the only airport/airline in the world with this policy ... but why??
I cannot beleive that Dubai is the only airport with this policy as for now it was Budapest the only airport with this policy. So before to going to checkout your statement I will take for granted that is 2 weird airports now

no issues from NYC > SEL > HAN > SGN > SIN > DPS > BKK > SEL > NYC

Also no issues NYC > CTG > NYC

Use a luggage which doesn't have zippers. It would have to be one of those heavy duty plastic cases. Thieves want the quick and easy jobs--stick a pen into the zipper, and boom, it's opened. Then after they go through the luggage for any valuables, they just slide the zipper back and forth which makes it look un-tampered.

They may not bother with the heavy duty cases.

Take a gander:

Use a luggage which doesn't have zippers. It would have to be one of those heavy duty plastic cases. Thieves want the quick and easy jobs--stick a pen into the zipper, and boom, it's opened. Then after they go through the luggage for any valuables, they just slide the zipper back and forth which makes it look un-tampered.

They may not bother with the heavy duty cases.

Take a gander:
This may well be an option ... but would a hard case like this hold my drone plus all my month long clothing and other stuff that I would normally put in a checked in suitcase ... because as far as I know, you are only allowed one checked in piece of luggage

I flew in and out of dubai with my mavic in my backpack no one asked me anything at security check.
Am considering just chancing it too ... quick question though ... in the event that you were searched and your Mavic discovered, and they refused to allow you to take it as carry-on ... what would you have done?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro