DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overview of current hobbyist FAA rules (updated 7/23/19)

Question: there’s a 1500 foot tower in my vicinity, but not in controlled airspace. I have no contract with the owners or operators. Can I fly up along side it to the top (+400) as a 107 pilot?

Yes, as stated above, so long as you're flying under ALL part 107 rules and not entering "controlled" airspace etc. Now the fact that you might be trespassing on private land in order to take off and remain VLOS (you'll want to be close to maintain clearance from the tower for safety).

Also for others reading this, in order to utilize this "allowance" it must be a structure so something "natural" wouldn't suffice in allowing you to fly higher than 400'AGL.

This clarification is what I was looking for as I default to #3. but hadn't found this stated before. I do understand the safety objectives and do my best to follow the regulations as I understand them. I now know the reason I could find the Cbos safety guidelines is the have yet to exist. Thanks everyone for the comments and help.

1. Follow the safety guidelines of a community-based organization (CBO)

The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 requires the FAA and community-based aeromodelling organizations (CBOs) to coordinate the development of safety guidelines for recreational small unmanned aircraft operations. As of today, no recognized CBOs or coordinated safety guidelines exist. Until the FAA establishes the criteria and process and begins recognizing CBOs, they are allowing pilots to do one of the following:

2. Operate in accordance with existing safety guidelines of an aeromodelling organization (like the AMA) as long as those guidelines do not conflict with existing FAA rules.

3. Follow the FAA’s existing safety guidelines – which are based on industry best practices.

Note: When following the rules of a CBO (or aeromodelling organization), you should be able to explain to an FAA inspector or law enforcement official which safety guidelines you are following.

Well this thread just saved me a lot of hold time with SDL trying to get clearance that i won't get as a hobbyist. Here's to hoping access for non-107 types comes soon.

Having gone through three tests with the FCC I'm halfway tempted to see how the FAA does things just for giggles.

What a time to enter into the drone hobby =)

As of 5/17/19, here's a complete list of rules hobbyists must follow when flying outdoors in the US:
Thank you for this thread. I am new here and FAA rules can be a bit messy to keep up with. is there a place that updates regularly that you guys follow to keep up to date? are you updating this same thread when new rules are out? (I saw it was updated 7/2019)

Perhaps not this specific thread, but there typically will be a lot of chatter when rules change. Probably the next big one will be when FAA comes out with the basic knowledge test for hobbyists that by act was supposed to be out 6 months ago.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thank you for this thread. I am new here and FAA rules can be a bit messy to keep up with. is there a place that updates regularly that you guys follow to keep up to date? are you updating this same thread when new rules are out? (I saw it was updated 7/2019)

This specific thread may (or may not) get updated directly but you can pretty much bet your bottom $$ that @msinger will definitely keep us updated ASAP.

Reactions: msinger
is there a place that updates regularly that you guys follow to keep up to date? are you updating this same thread when new rules are out? (I saw it was updated 7/2019)
Yes, I will update this thread.

Reactions: BigAl07
My question is what about flying at night?? I see no mention of this as a hobbyist

My question is what about flying at night?? I see no mention of this as a hobbyist
That would fall under "Following the guidelines of a CBO" which AMA is one such CBO you should/could be following their guidelines....

and the AMA Safety Handbook states:
"Night flying requires a lighting system that provides the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems by themselves are inadequate for night flying operations and must be supplemented with other lighting systems. "

Reactions: Thomas B
That would fall under "Following the guidelines of a CBO" which AMA is one such CBO
Just a small clarification -- while I think the AMA will definitely be one of the approved CBOs when they are named by the FAA, they aren't a CBO today. However, per the OP above, it's okay to follow the AMA rules until the list of approved CBOs is available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus