DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oxford Wolvercote Common - ok to fly?

phutureproof

Reactions
Having just purchased a Mavic 2 Pro, I'm keen to find somewhere near that is big and empty enough for me to practice my flying skills.

Can anyone confirm if Wolvercote Common in Oxford is OK for this? Google searches don't yield anything conclusive.

Thank you

Rich

Unless there are restricted air space zones then I certainly think its big enough, stay away from the A34, the railway lines, the allotments and uninvolved prople and I'd fly there, restricted air space permitting. Is there an airfield nearby?
I knew someone who lived in Oxford and had a plane so I guess there must have been an airfield relatively close

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply. There is Oxford Airport to the north of Oxford, but the common falls out of that range.

I think my nervousness comes from 1) this being my first drone and 2) google searches revealed comments/newsletters from disgruntled locals who had been complaining about the siting of a drone some time ago.

Ahh if people have complained then I think you are wise to give the matter consideration. Stay away from the village of course.
Assuming there is no restricted air space and no one here knows of any other restrictions then, if someone complains and even if you have the 'right' to fly there, I would land etc. and move. Antagonising people is not worth the hassle, even if they are Victor Meldrew.
Don't have the drone charging around all over the place, besides you are learning and slow and low is better except when a dog approaches, then get up out of jump range.
I have HAD to do a snatch and twist 'emergency' hand catch and then whip the M2P behind my back when a dog came over and went bananas as I was coming in to land with a getting low battery.
Other than that, when I have had people come near me and I was perhaps coming into land they seem quite impressed if you 'inch' the drone in and perhaps hand catch, especially if you make it seem nonchalant.
Make it clear that the drone is a well controlled machine, at least in your capable hands.

Reactions: phutureproof
If you try hand catching keep your fingers out of the way of the props, THEY CAN BITE. Once the drone is on/in your hand DO NOT move your hand until the motors stop. If the drone senses movement and the motors are running it will try to maintain position and 'fight you'. I sometimes hand launch using this approach i.e. start the motors at idle and then move my hand, done correctly the drone 'hovers' off/out-of my hand.
DO NOT attempt hand catching or launching on a windy day until you are familiar with the process, I think my first M2P hand catches were indoors. If doing it outdoors in wind then I am wary, afterall the props are fairly close to your faces and eyes.

Who owns the land? You won’t need their permission to fly over it, but you will to take off from it. If it’s local council, they may have byelaws on drones.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I researched this in my local area and found no restrictions in place on 'Common land or public recreation spaces' - albeit you have still to comply with proximity regulations. Check the local council website, that's where I found my info.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Well, I must say I am slightly 'miffed'. I visited Wolvercote Common (Port Meadow) on Sunday morning for my first flight. My research showed (via Google searches and using the NATS Drone Assist app etc) there were no restrictions. Weather was good. Not too many people about as it is quite a big space.

Got to the carpark only to see a sign saying:

"City Of Oxford
FLYING OF MODEL AIRCRAFT IS RESTRICTED TO MEMBERS OF THE OXFORD MODEL FLYING CLUB.
By Order of the Sheriff"

Another sign, printed on an Oxford City Council sign says:
"The flying of model aircraft and drones is not permitted on Wolvercote Common, and only members of the Oxford Model Flying Club are permitted to fly on Port Meadow"

This is really annoying. I'm not sure how OMFC have managed to somehow land the rights to flying over this 'common' land.

I have contacted OMFC and it seems I need to become a member and pay their membership fees, and pass a certain flight test and answer a series of questions. This isn't exactly straightforward with lockdown etc as examiners are going to be difficult to pin down.

There are so many hoops to all of this. All I want to do is get out to a safe place and have some practice time with a new drone. I've got my Operator and Flyer IDs sorted out. I've paid for 3rd part insurance. I've enrolled and am taking the A2 CofC course (which will allow me to fly a bit closer to buildings etc).

Now this is something else to work my way through.

I don't mind so much the membership and all that, but there are so many confused, overlapping and changing rules in place.

Not entirely sure how I will pass a flight test if I can't find anywhere local to fly and pratice!

Anybody else have similar issues to getting started with this?

Hi, I’m new here and also just purchased a DJI drone, the mini 2.
I’m trying to look for places around Oxford or within a reasonable drive, where I can launch and practice flying as well as get some nice photos and footage.
I’ve got my Operators ID and even tho it’s not required for a sub 250g legacy drone I’ve got my flyers ID.
I’ve also been looking and it appears all oxford parks are against the use of drones.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots