DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

P2's P3p's P4P all good... Mavic first flight YIKES!

CactusJackSlade

Reactions
Got My Mavic in today (NewEgg ordered on 11/23) and I have to say my first flight was "breath taking"... and not in a good way.

Calibrated everything, updated to latest firmware etc. I've been flying Quads for 5 years, had the Phantom 2, 3, 4... never have I had an issue.

Todays first flight caught me by surprise. Fired up, all OK, GPS homepoint lock... all was good.

Took off, went out 25 feet, hovered, did a 180 looking back at me and full disconnect.. no control what so ever downlink froze. Error msg said "control stick calibration error" or something to that effect and then the app froze.

There is was 25 feet away at 6 feet above the ground not responding. I had actually shut down the app using my phone button to close it as it was frozen. Finally got the app back up and was able to land it immediately.

Went back inside, re-checked everything, second flight went fine.

Like I said in the title, I've had all kinds of Quads, most with DJI controllers, all the Phantom Series 2, 3, 4 and have NEVER had an issue like this. Not very comforting... now the rain is here and will not be able to re-test for a few days, of course that will allow my nerves to regain themselves :eek:

I did notice some slight video break up on my usual flight path, whereas on my P3's and P4P there has never been an issue at a short distance (less than 500 feet). Hummmm

With all that said, this is non-the-less a great looking and great flying machine... and a lot more fun to fly thatn a Phantom simply because it has a "front" and orientation is a bit easier... plus it just looks way more cool than the Phantom's :p

Bottom line, check and double check before your first flight... I still don't know what my issue was...

Have you updated to latest firmware?
In the event of "downlink froze. Error msg said "control stick calibration error", the below may work to get your craft to land.
RTH button
Turn off controller

Have you updated to latest firmware?
In the event of "downlink froze. Error msg said "control stick calibration error", the below may work to get your craft to land.
RTH button
Turn off controller

Hummm, I had no link as far as I could tell, no stick control, no gimbal tilt..... Oh, and I was less than 30 meters/96 feet away so RTH is not supposed to kick in..

Hummm, I had no link as far as I could tell, no stick control, no gimbal tilt..... Oh, and I was less than 30 meters/96 feet away so RTH is not supposed to kick in..
RTH will stick kick in, but instead of fly back to its homepoint, it will land at the spot you triggered RTH.

RTH will stick kick in, but instead of fly back to its homepoint, it will land at the spot you triggered RTH.

Mmmm gotcha, will try that. Been flying RTH capable quads for over 4 years...but have only used RTH on a few test runs... never in an actual need:eek:

Abnormal interference? iOS or Android? Dji go or go 4?

Mavic - North Bay, CA

I'm new to drones but from what I'm reading in the manual and older versions of FAQ pages for the phantoms, it looks like the older drones would land where they are within a certain distance if RTH is triggered (there's a FAQ warning about drones landing in the water if RTH is triggered too close and your drone is over water) - BUT in the Mavic manual it says it will only land where it is if RTH is triggered in a 6ft/5m radius of the home point.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

DJI admitted to some controllers not being correctly or fully calibrated. You may need to recalibrate the controller to be on the safe side. Also, ensure wifi is disabled on your Android device.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast