DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PAL Settings...

Mavicjon999

Reactions
What do you guys use for best outdoor setting for video, PAL or NTSC..?

Well depends if you can play back pal or NTSC or both. The only differences I'm aware of is that NTSC allows 4k recording at 30fps and pal is limited to only 24fps. Also with NTSC refresh rate can be set at 60hz.

NTSC is normal for US area where PAL is used in European countries. Not sure what your TV supports for play back.

I shoot NTSC living in the USA. I hear alot of people shoot this way for the added fps.

I am in uk but would it make any difference as to what I use apart from the different fps ?

Most European TV's won't play NTSC, also laptops can be a pain.

Stick to PAL here
This is't really true for many years, though no doubt there are still a few ancient sets can't automatically play NTSC
You can use either setting to take advantage of the FPS options.
30fps is probably slightly smoother but 24 or 25 might be said to look more cinematic as it matches traditional film options closer.
I use 30fps and NTSC,

In the rare event a TV station wanted to se your footage they'd not be the least concerned either.

Reactions: Xcel
As for quality......

6ac3950c34950251be4ccef5d5a319c3.jpg

As for quality......

That might be true for TV broadcasts but PAL vs NTSC on the Mavic is purely a framerate question. Why would it be a pain with laptops? Why wouldn't it play on your TV?
It is more of a question if your TV supports the Mavic codec or not if you want to play it directly on the TV, PAL or NTSC doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: andynormancx
That might be true for TV broadcasts but PAL vs NTSC on the Mavic is purely a framerate question. Why would it be a pain with laptops? Why wouldn't it play on your TV?
It is more of a question if your TV supports the Mavic codec or not if you want to play it directly on the TV, PAL or NTSC doesn't matter.

Missing the point here, PAL is better quality

Missing the point here, PAL is better quality

No it's not, you set the recording resolution yourself on the Mavic. Your definition only applies to broadcast TV.
Both PAL and NTSC will give you 2160 lines of resolution on the Mavic, if you prefer that term.

Last edited:
I'm actually confused by this setting. It should not be there when you talk digital video recording in HD. PAL and NTSC are standards for analog video broadcasting. The main difference was in the way color is encoded in the signal. It just does not make sense to have that choice when you record digital on a device without an analog output to connect straight to TV. PAL, NTSC and SECAM are irrelevant terms in digital world.

NTSC and PAL/SECAM are long gone despite some devices keep calling their framerate-options like we're in the 90ties, confusing everyone.

There is simply no PAL or NTSC on modern HDTVs.

All HDTVs, in all countries, produced in the last 10 years accept 24, 30, 50 and 60 fps just fine. It's just so that TV-broadcaster (!) in Europe tend to use 50 Hz, mainly for backward compatibility reasons.

There is also no relationship between color and framerates.

Computer displays, Smartphones, Tablets etc. at the other hand are generally (!) driven at 60 Hz and are simply not able to provide proper motion at other framerates than 60 and 30 fps (60 is much more smooth, of course).

So it is really simple:
  • Use 60 fps whereever (!) you can
  • Fall back to 30 if you have to (like on the Mavic because of it's horrible sensor pinning at 60 fps)
If you record at 25 fps (which is wrongly called "PAL") you will just ruin your camera pans. Do not use it. Never.

Last edited:
I spent a morning experimenting with all the possible video settings and taking video with each of them. After watching them all, I came to the conclusion that 4K 30fps was the best followed by 2.7k 30fps and I could forget the rest. If I were better at taking videos then it might be different.

If you fly under artificial lighting conditions (lamps, spots, tubes) etc... you will need to set the exact Hz on which powerline net you are since the images will start rolling and flickering when not set to the proper setting. For Europe it is 50 Hz, an I think for the USA it is 60 Hz. Since the polarity of the net switches equal times it can bee seen in the image. The same goes when you are filming a monitor or computer screen that is set to a different vertical sync speed. For all other occasions I both used PAL or NTSC and both are fine editing and delivering. PAL does have a 24 and 25 frame setting on 4K.

Reactions: Wingo
I spent a morning experimenting with all the possible video settings and taking video with each of them. After watching them all, I came to the conclusion that 4K 30fps was the best followed by 2.7k 30fps and I could forget the rest. If I were better at taking videos then it might be different.

Same exercise a few months ago and came to exact same conclusion. I always stick to 2.7k ntsc 30fps because it seems so much better (smoother) than pal... I live in uk...

If you fly under artificial lighting conditions (lamps, spots, tubes) etc... you will need to set the exact Hz on which powerline net you are since the images will start rolling and flickering when not set to the proper setting. For Europe it is 50 Hz, an I think for the USA it is 60 Hz. Since the polarity of the net switches equal times it can bee seen in the image. The same goes when you are filming a monitor or computer screen that is set to a different vertical sync speed. For all other occasions I both used PAL or NTSC and both are fine editing and delivering. PAL does have a 24 and 25 frame setting on 4K.

There is a dedicated setting for flicker. In Hz. What does that do? Remote refresh rate adjustment so it can be shot on video or what?

There is a dedicated setting for flicker. In Hz. What does that do? Remote refresh rate adjustment so it can be shot on video or what?

OSMO users say they use ntsc with 30 FPS all the time and change that anti flicker setting to 50 Hz when in Europe to avoid flickering in artificial light. Switch back to 60 Hz anti flicker in US.

Again, don't use "PAL" (25/50 fps) no matter where you are living. It will lead to unavoidable stutter on PCs, Notebooks, Smartphones, Tablets and even TVs when using Apps like YouTube or PS3/4 Media Playback. All of them are forced to 60 Hz.

Use 60 or 30 fps (on the Mavic). You have been warned. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams