DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panic encounter

sparky1111

Reactions
I did all the usual preflight checks and flew out to about 1500ft away with an altitude of 250ft heading for about 5000ft away and altitude of 500ft when shortly into the flight I lost video footage and all telemetry data.
I panicked because I had the error of loss of video feed try repositioning antennae message.
After about 5 to 10 seconds (which felt like an eternity) all came back on only it had stopped recording and upon review of the footage the date and time stamp was incorrect dated 31st December 2013 at 12.00.
It's was if the camera computer crashed mid flight. When I noticed it had stopped recording I hit record again yet this footage had the correct date and time without me changing anything.
I'm on .900fw. Very strange behaviour.

I did all the usual preflight checks and flew out to about 1500ft away with an altitude of 250ft heading for about 5000ft away and altitude of 500ft when shortly into the flight I lost video footage and all telemetry data.
I panicked because I had the error of loss of video feed try repositioning antennae message.
After about 5 to 10 seconds (which felt like an eternity) all came back on only it had stopped recording and upon review of the footage the date and time stamp was incorrect dated 31st December 2013 at 12.00.
It's was if the camera computer crashed mid flight. When I noticed it had stopped recording I hit record again yet this footage had the correct date and time without me changing anything.
I'm on .900fw. Very strange behaviour.

These "strange" errors, flying aways are sucking the joy out of me. there are 3 weeks for MP delivered to me. I read the manual 2 times, watch almost all the MP videos on youtube and searching new videos on youtube daily. Following facebook groups and forums. I am terrified about these non-pilot related issues...

I am terrified about these non-pilot related issues...
It is considered a pilot related error to fly beyond line of sight in the first place. That's why there is this VLOS rule. You're not in control when it's out of visual range. You just hope things keep working.

Reactions: newguy
It is considered a pilot related error to fly beyond line of sight in the first place. That's why there is this VLOS rule. You're not in control when it's out of visual range. You just hope things keep working.
What's your point here?
Are you stating that my spotter would of prevented this issue at 1000ft away!
I'm confused?

Reactions: Tatuli

İ am not talkin about just this problem and i dont think this partucular issue is also a pilot related issue. İt is like buying a ferari and teeling the driver you should not pass 30 mph... it is not logical.

Reactions: calinzl
İ am not talkin about just this problem and i dont think this partucular issue is also a pilot related issue. İt is like buying a ferari and teeling the driver you should not pass 30 mph... it is not logical.

That's exactly what we do though.... we impose speed limits on the roads that those ferraris and all other vehicles operate on. Speed limits are the law, for others safety. Just like the VLOS rule, its law, and should be abided by.

In regards to the camera issue. My mavic and apparently a lot of other mavics do this also. The camera and gimbal reset for some reason. It does not affect control of the aircraft (other than camera control) in any way. Best course of action is to just stop moving and wait for camera feed to return.

I've flown DJI stuff since 2012, and not one of the drones I've owned has not had some weird quirk that pops up now and then. Is it sometimes annoying? Yes. Are DJI drones still the best on the consumer/pro market? Yes.

Last edited:
That's exactly what we do though.... we impose speed limits on those ferraris and all other vehicles, which are law, for others safety.

There are areas for feraris and other brands where they can drive without rules. Think same for quads too.

My point was not that at all, if i am buying this product which is advertised with 7 km range, i want to use it. maybe not in the cities for the safety rules we should be able to use it without doubt in mountains and etc..

There are areas for feraris and other brands where they can drive without rules. Think same for quads too.

My point was not that at all, if i am buying this product which is advertised with 7 km range, i want to use it. maybe not in the cities for the safety rules we should be able to use it without doubt in mountains and etc..

Updated my previous post just as you were posting. Check it out.

Yeah, I think it's wrong that DJI advertise these vast distances you can cover when legally you aren't allowed. I can't see there ever being dedicated areas in the future though, like there are for cars. The whole point of VLOS is to allow the pilot to See and Avoid other aircraft. And they're in the mountains, over cities, everywhere. When you're flying outside of visual range you are relying solely on the camera feed, which only points forwards. How do you avoid a manned aircraft coming at you from the side, the rear, from below or above? You can't. Hence the VLOS rule. I think this will be relaxed as the industry progresses and we see much better 360 obstacle avoidance tech.
Until then, you are taking a risk going for distance both with your drone and potentially (although unlikely) with other people's safety. I don't want to come across as an ***, and I completely see where you're coming from, which is why I disagree with DJI's advertising on this matter, even though they aren't lying, and agree with the current official rule set mostly.

Updated my previous post just as you were posting. Check it out.

Until then, you are taking a risk going for distance both with your drone and potentially (although unlikely) with other people's safety. I don't want to come across as an ***, and I completely see where you're coming from, which is why I disagree with DJI's advertising on this matter, even though they aren't lying, and agree with the current official rule set mostly.

Good solid logic, very reasonably stated. Thank you sir, one of my only problems with this forum is how quickly things can degenerate into a ****-slinging match.

Cheers, jason

Reactions: Blacksails
Here's an update idea for DJI. Introduce aircraft collision avoidance where both craft detect each other and stop and then make a suggestion to each user as to what move to make next such as increase or decrease altitude etc.

Here's an update idea for DJI. Introduce aircraft collision avoidance where both craft detect each other and stop and then make a suggestion to each user as to what move to make next such as increase or decrease altitude etc.
I'd love to see a helicopter, Paramotor or a small airplane do this ;)

Just like the VLOS rule, its law, and should be abided by.

1,500 feet in daylight is not beyond line of sight, assuming no physical obstructions like trees. I regularly fly to 4,000 feet+ in an open area and can see the Mavic just fine.

Reactions: sparky1111
I can see my Mavic at 4000ft out easily with the sun not in front of her.

Also with VLOS in follow me mode is a little contradictory don't you agree. I mean if your on a bike, quad or other vehicle unless your driving/walking backwards this is a grey area as how can you visually be watching it!

What's your point here?
Are you stating that my spotter would of prevented this issue at 1000ft away!
I'm confused?
Sorry, that was my bad.
I didn't realise that the rules in US are like that. You're right, if you can see it from whatever distance and you assure that you can control it safely at that distance it's OK.

I'm just jealous :) the rules in most EU countries are ridiculous when it comes to VLOS. In NL VLOS means 300 feet for amateurs and light licensed operators, 1500 feet for commercial pilots with full operator license.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15