DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 coms confusion- help, please?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
Part 107 is tomorrow afternoon. I'm trying to clean up a few things and have one thing that confuses me. CT frequencies and/or CTAF frequencies. Below is a micro-sectional of a local airport KPWK. It seems to me that CT 119.9 would be the control tower frequency. However, the is a circle-C which would typically indicate the CTAF frequency would be listed to the left of that. I notice that there is a star, which has to mean something but I'm not sure what that indicates. Knowing exactly what the differences are could save me from a wrong answer. What can you tell me about how CTAF is different or similar to CT/Control Tower frequencies? Also, how does the ATIS frequency function? Please help me clear up my confusion.

A prompt answer would be extremely helpful. TIA

KPWK.JPG

The Legend answers each of your questions. Plus, you’re allowed to look at the Legend during the test.
Let me restate the question... Obviously I wasn't clear.
In the example, it stays CT (assume "control tower") 119.9... then a star... then the circle-C... WITH NO FREQUENCY NEXT TO THE CIRCLE-C.
So if the Circle-C indicates CTAF but there is no number, WHAT DOES THIS CONFIGURATION MEAN WITH THE STAR TO THE LEFT OF THE CIRCLE-C??? In other words, it indicates that there is a CTAF frequency, but none is present. IT APPEARS THAT I AM CONFUSING WHAT IT IS TELLING ME...IS 119.9 CT OR CTAF? I assume not CTAF... THEN WHY THE CIRCLE-C IF NONE EXISTS???

Let me restate the question... Obviously I wasn't clear.
In the example, it stays CT (assume "control tower") 119.9... then a star... then the circle-C... WITH NO FREQUENCY NEXT TO THE CIRCLE-C.
So if the Circle-C indicates CTAF but there is no number, WHAT DOES THIS CONFIGURATION MEAN WITH THE STAR TO THE LEFT OF THE CIRCLE-C??? In other words, it indicates that there is a CTAF frequency, but none is present. IT APPEARS THAT I AM CONFUSING WHAT IT IS TELLING ME...IS 119.9 CT OR CTAF? I assume not CTAF... THEN WHY THE CIRCLE-C IF NONE EXISTS???

The star indicates the tower is operational part time only. CTAF (common traffic advisory frequency is 122.9).

So here's another that confused me.

42. You are preparing to operate a UV in the residential area just northwest of the runway. Monitoring the airport Unicom frequency, you hear an aircraft reporting a “left downwind for Winchester runway 36.” Where should you be looking for that aircraft?
  • A. Overhead. You position is under the left downwind for Runway 36.
  • B. Toward the east side of the airport, across the runway.
  • C. To the northwest to see the aircraft enter the pattern.
the test said:...The correct answer is A: The left downwind for runway 36 is approximately right over the residential area.

If the aircraft is downwind of runway 36 wouldn't it be SOUTH of the runway just to the left of the runway??? Isn't 35 where ther traffic would be flying north and the pilot announced he was "downwind", ergo flying south in the opposite direction of the wind?

CTAF is 119.9. In the case of PWK, 119.9 is both the control tower and CTAF frequency.

According to the the chart supplements, 122.950 is the UNICOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpilot
Also, "downwind" is a term used to reference the *direction* the aircraft is *heading*, not the location of the aircraft.

Reactions: PhantomFandom

42. You are preparing to operate a UV in the residential area just northwest of the runway. Monitoring the airport Unicom frequency, you hear an aircraft reporting a “left downwind for Winchester runway 36.” Where should you be looking for that aircraft?
the test said:...The correct answer is A: The left downwind for runway 36 is approximately right over the residential area.

If the aircraft is downwind of runway 36 wouldn't it be SOUTH of the runway just to the left of the runway??? Isn't 35 where ther traffic would be flying north and the pilot announced he was "downwind", ergo flying south in the opposite direction of the wind?

The aircraft is flying South to North (Downwind leg) so it will be directly over you (vaguely speaking) at some point since your NW of the runway. They should fly over your position and be turning Base to Final in your vicinity.

Below is a more refined answer as the above was me trying to do TWO things at once and messing both of them up.. MY BAD :)

The aircraft is flying South (Downwind leg) so it will be directly over you (vaguely speaking) at some point since your NW of the runway. They should fly over your position and then turning to Base and then to Final.

There is no "perfect" answer but the "Best" of them should have you looking in the right "General" area for an aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: theDRONEranger
The star indicates the tower is operational part time only. CTAF (common traffic advisory frequency is 122.9).

As samt2 mentioned already, that's incorrect: the CTAF is 119.9 as well. The "C" symbol means the CTAF frequency is to the left of the symbol.

This is explained in the Aeronautical Chart Users’ Guide.

An aircraft flying left downwind for runway 36 is on a heading if 180 degrees (reciprocal of 360 degrees) preparing to turn left to approach the runway Heading if 360 degrees. The aircraft is West of the runway and parallel to the runway and heading south.

Reactions: samt2
The aircraft is flying South to North (Downwind leg) so it will be directly over you (vaguely speaking) at some point since your NW of the runway. They should fly over your position and be turning Base to Final in your vicinity.
This is where I'm confused. If I am NORTHWEST of the runway, and 36 has a south to north final and he is flying south to north as you point out, how would he be overhead in relation to me at any time???? I'm not getting it.

This is where I'm confused. If I am NORTHWEST of the runway, and 36 has a south to north final and he is flying south to north as you point out, how would he be overhead in relation to me at any time???? I'm not getting it.

This appears to be one of those questions where no answer is a great fit but one fits better than the others.

In this case, answer A would be the most correct. Since the don't tell you where the aircraft is in that left downwind leg, you can't be totally sure where the aircraft is relative to you, but a general idea. However as shown in the diagram, the most likely option is that the airplane is overhead.

Choice B is completely wrong so you toss that one immediately. The pilot could be entering the pattern at a 45 at mid-field but that would put it south of your UAV but that is not a choice. For C to be correct the pilot would need to be way off to the west and north, perhaps getting ready to enter the downwind, but then his radio call would be incorrect. So C is not really a good choice.

1601577164208.png

Reactions: JohnBin63
Hi Al. I think you have the directions backwards. The aircraft should actually be southbound on the downwind leg.

Reactions: DougMcC and BigAl07
This appears to be one of those questions where no answer is a great fit but one fits better than the others.
Actually answer A is a very good fit for the question posed.

Hi Al. I think you have the directions backwards. The aircraft should actually be southbound on the downwind leg.

Good catch. Brain Cramp Central here LOL :)

It's done. I passed ? . So glad it's over with. ?
Thanks everyone!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78