DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 in Utah, Got Drone

gotdrone

Reactions
Hi I'm Jim in Utah County, Utah, I've had my part 107 over a year now, I do a lot of train chasing with my drone out in Nevada. Just look up the V&T Railroad on Youtube and you should find the channel. Here's a link to one:

I've got an Air 2S that I love, it's been up in the air many hours. I'm also into the Tello EDU for its programming interface and ability to fly indoors.

I have a site, gotdrone.com, that I really need to get back to soon! I plan to fly tomorrow in a county park we'll see how that goes.

Welcome to our forum, from Hauptmann, in Hurst, Texas!

Great shooting!

We have over 150,000 members—many from Utah--who enjoy helping each other get the most out of our hobby. Most of the questions you'll have will’ve already been addressed, and are easy to search. If you have NEW questions, just ask!

Glad to have you with us!
Rich R (aka Hauptmann)

Last edited:
Hi I'm Jim in Utah County, Utah, I've had my part 107 over a year now,

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Great video, You could have cheated on the sound. Take the best of the audio and recopy it over and over again, being careful to edit out or edit in when the whistle blows and changing the volume as you approach or retreat from the train…

A friend was selling his train set on eBay and I helped him make a video of the set as the various functions worked (switching from one track to another, the signal devices with bells, etc…) and I added sound effects from various sources on line… He had to put a very prominent warning on the auction that the sound effects were added and the train set did not make those sounds… And he still got questions from various folk asking how he got his train to blow a whistle so realistically…

You already had all the sound effects… You obviously already know something about editing the audio as you added voice over to your recording, but once again, Great video, I love trains…

Once again, Welcome aboard.

Fly Safe…

Super footage and beautiful light. What a sight. See, like me, you push the up/down wheel the wrong way very occasionally. After 400 flights I still do it every time when I am concentrating on maintaining the subject in frame.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Great video, You could have cheated on the sound. Take the best of the audio and recopy it over and over again, being careful to edit out or edit in when the whistle blows and changing the volume as you approach or retreat from the train…

A friend was selling his train set on eBay and I helped him make a video of the set as the various functions worked (switching from one track to another, the signal devices with bells, etc…) and I added sound effects from various sources on line… He had to put a very prominent warning on the auction that the sound effects were added and the train set did not make those sounds… And he still got questions from various folk asking how he got his train to blow a whistle so realistically…

You already had all the sound effects… You obviously already know something about editing the audio as you added voice over to your recording, but once again, Great video, I love trains…

Fly Safe…

Super footage and beautiful light. What a sight. See, like me, you push the up/down wheel the wrong way very occasionally. After 400 flights I still do it every time when I am concentrating on maintaining the subject in frame.
Yes guilty, and I wish I had 400 flights under my belt!

Fly Safe…
Hey thanks for the reply, I'll go check out the members map.

I've seen people dub over the wrong sound on railroad drone videos, it's a good idea in theory but it's really just not authentic. I really just wanted to get that video out and go reshoot it on my next trip, I have a new mic on the way.

Here's one on another channel, on that one, about four minutes in I have the good audio.

Last edited:
I've seen people dub over the wrong sound on railroad drone videos, it's a good idea in theory but it's really just not authentic.
I really like Train videos, but from the perspective of your drone, and all the snow, it really almost looks like a toy train and a diorama…

You wrote about dubbing over the wrong sound, and that it just does not sound authentic. Well, that's kind of what is still happening here… I think your sound recording is from something actually placed on the train. At 6:07, you can hear the person standing next to the train, asking, "You guys have any water?"

So the volume of the train sound does not change regardless of the drone's distance from the train…

I would really "cheat" a bit and use that volume control as the drones distance from the train varies…

But, I still like the video, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: wjkrysak
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne