DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 test

MavBoka

Reactions
I am getting ready to retire and although I have flown hobby drone for 3 years and mostly given photos of friends homes and occasional posted photos on Facebook and instagram, I have no intention of making it a business I just love the challenge of flying and taking photos.. I have decided to try to get my part 107 and was asking if it is best to take a course or just study on your own? I have downloaded a ton of material and bought some but studied off/on for 3 months as not sure I wanted to take test, my wife has convinced me to take it.. any previous takers input is welcome .. thanks Bob

You'll find lots of threads on this topic if you search this forum. To sum it up, people have passed using courses and by doing nothing but using materials freely available on the Internet (I keep a list of them here). The bonus of using courses is that you don't have the gather the information yourself and the information should be more accurate/complete. If you have time to burn though, you should be just fine if you decide to use the free study materials.

Thanks, Bob
If you have the time, do the study by yourself. It's an enjoyable challenge. I found it interesting and helpful to get the FAA sectional chart for my area. I got it from an on-line pilot supply store. So now each month I get their junk mail catalogue, which I am sure impresses the mail carrier.

Reactions: AMann and msinger
I bought the study books from amazon( pretty cheap) and down loaded some more from what you all recommend. I have been reading off/on for about 4 months trying to decide if I really wanted to since I don’t intend to running a business but I decided knowledge is great to have in a hobby I truly love so have committed to study hard and get it.. thanks for the valued input, I really enjoy this forum I rarely post but read it daily

I took the Gold Seal course and enjoyed it. Passed with a 90 first attempt.. the test has many questions meant to confuse.. very hard for a multiple Q test.

Gold seal also has some other benefits and you don’t have to pay again for the course when it’s time to renew. They guarantee you pass or they pay if you pass their practice tests and final .

Reactions: MavBoka
You'll find lots of threads on this topic if you search this forum. To sum it up, people have passed using courses and by doing nothing but using materials freely available on the Internet (I keep a list of them here). The bonus of using courses is that you don't have the gather the information yourself and the information should be more accurate/complete. If you have time to burn though, you should be just fine if you decide to use the free study materials.

Hi, I found your list of free online material for the Part 107 test very useful. I'm sure a lot can be as useful and a cross over in the UK.
Is the Part 107 test the same as the CAA PfCO course in the UK? and if so, is the comparable free online study information for this course?

Roy

I took the Gold Seal course and enjoyed it. Passed with a 90 first attempt.. the test has many questions meant to confuse.. very hard for a multiple Q test.

Gold seal also has some other benefits and you don’t have to pay again for the course when it’s time to renew. They guarantee you pass or they pay if you pass their practice tests and final .
Thanks

Hi MavBoka,

I assume the Gold Seal Course is an American course - I've not seen it mentioned on UK training sites.

The articles, manuals and tutorials relating to the Mavic 2 are exceptionally useful. But does anyone have a list of tutorials or articles that relate to the UK's CAA PfCO course??

I bought the study books from amazon( pretty cheap) and down loaded some more from what you all recommend. I have been reading off/on for about 4 months trying to decide if I really wanted to since I don’t intend to running a business but I decided knowledge is great to have in a hobby I truly love so have committed to study hard and get it.. thanks for the valued input, I really enjoy this forum I rarely post but read it daily
The FAA study guide (free) is something you should download; it's their test after all. I didn't start studying that until a few days before my test and wish I had done that earlier. Three or four YouTube videos were the only other thing I did, my pick there would be one by Tony Northrup. The others covered things a bit differently, so with watching several is a good idea.

Your attitude about having knowledge is great. Many recreational fliers just don't seem to care and miss the great opportunity to be part of the world of aviation. Part 107 will make you more appreciative of that history.

I am getting ready to retire and although I have flown hobby drone for 3 years and mostly given photos of friends homes and occasional posted photos on Facebook and instagram, I have no intention of making it a business I just love the challenge of flying and taking photos.. I have decided to try to get my part 107 and was asking if it is best to take a course or just study on your own? I have downloaded a ton of material and bought some but studied off/on for 3 months as not sure I wanted to take test, my wife has convinced me to take it.. any previous takers input is welcome .. thanks Bob

I passed with self study, and really enjoyed the process...Ive learned a lot and it was interesting stuff, too! Hardest part was reading NOTAMS, Sectionals and Weather. Be familiar with FAA regs, but more so the airspace classifications and symbols. Definitely buy a real paper sectional map and study it, they are fun to look at.

Understand every symbol on the chart and the key, and good luck!

I've been in IT for years and taken many certification tests in the computer field (I don't think they mean a thing, but they look good on a resume). A 'trick' I learned ages ago on the multiple choice tests is to read the answers bottom to top, like D, C, B, A. It really helps your brain catch the gotcha trick answers they love to do.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11