DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passed my 107 exam today - 95%

Rich QR

Reactions
I passed my Part 107 exam today! Applied online for the certificate.

I did self-study using the FAA study guide available at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

About 30 years ago, I took flying lessons, and passed the written exam to become a private pilot. But circumstances caused me to quit before I completed my license. So I already knew how to read a sectional, and was familiar with basic radio procedures and flight patterns.

My study suggestions, in rough order of the number of questions on each topic that happened to be on my exam:
  • Know how to read a sectional! You don't have to memorize all of the details, because the book they give you contains the legend of the sectional up front. Buy a paper sectional or download an electronic image of one (I'd recommend getting the sectional that covers your home area), and study up on the symbols and that legend. Using the sectional and the legend, know how to determine what class of airspace exists at the surface at any point on the sectional. Know how to figure out what the floor and ceiling of any class B, C, D, or E airspace is at any point on the sectional. Also, know what tower symbols look like, and know how to figure out what class of airspace exists at the highest legal altitude around any tower on the sectional (400 ft above the top of the tower). Know how to read the airport symbols and determine what radio frequencies are in use for what purposes around any airport. Know what altitudes are listed in MSL versus those listed as AGL.
  • Know the terminology and strategy of ADM, as described in the FAA study guide. Know the mnemonic acronyms they describe (PPP, PAVE, IMSAFE, CRM, SRM, etc.)
  • Know how to read METARS and TAFs.
  • Know the responsibilities of the Pilot in Command (PIC) regarding a flight. When in doubt, remember that the PIC carries the ultimate responsibility for the safe operation of the flight, so many questions of the form "Who is responsible for making sure XXX is adequately safe" may have the answer "The remote PIC".
There are other details, but they're all covered in the FAA study guide. I think if you get those four bullet points down really solid (particularly the sectional), I suspect you'll get a passing grade, but study all the other material in the study guide to improve your score.

Congrats! Passed mine last Saturday and got my temp certificate a few days later. Agree with your study points. I used the FAA self study guide too, I'm a retired Navigator so it was amazing how much I "sort of" remembered! Study airspace hard!

I passed my Part 107 exam today! Applied online for the certificate.

I did self-study using the FAA study guide available at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

About 30 years ago, I took flying lessons, and passed the written exam to become a private pilot. But circumstances caused me to quit before I completed my license. So I already knew how to read a sectional, and was familiar with basic radio procedures and flight patterns.

My study suggestions, in rough order of the number of questions on each topic that happened to be on my exam:
  • Know how to read a sectional! You don't have to memorize all of the details, because the book they give you contains the legend of the sectional up front. Buy a paper sectional or download an electronic image of one (I'd recommend getting the sectional that covers your home area), and study up on the symbols and that legend. Using the sectional and the legend, know how to determine what class of airspace exists at the surface at any point on the sectional. Know how to figure out what the floor and ceiling of any class B, C, D, or E airspace is at any point on the sectional. Also, know what tower symbols look like, and know how to figure out what class of airspace exists at the highest legal altitude around any tower on the sectional (400 ft above the top of the tower). Know how to read the airport symbols and determine what radio frequencies are in use for what purposes around any airport. Know what altitudes are listed in MSL versus those listed as AGL.
  • Know the terminology and strategy of ADM, as described in the FAA study guide. Know the mnemonic acronyms they describe (PPP, PAVE, IMSAFE, CRM, SRM, etc.)
  • Know how to read METARS and TAFs.
  • Know the responsibilities of the Pilot in Command (PIC) regarding a flight. When in doubt, remember that the PIC carries the ultimate responsibility for the safe operation of the flight, so many questions of the form "Who is responsible for making sure XXX is adequately safe" may have the answer "The remote PIC".
There are other details, but they're all covered in the FAA study guide. I think if you get those four bullet points down really solid (particularly the sectional), I suspect you'll get a passing grade, but study all the other material in the study guide to improve your score.
Congratulations on passing the 107

Congratulations!! .... and thanks for the advice. I am studying for the test now.

Reactions: Rich QR
Congratulations!

CONGRATULATIONS!

Congratulations! Started studying this week here. Now to look up PPP, PAVE, IMSAFE, CRM, and SRM :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun