DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Passed The Part 107!!

The confusion comes from the misconception that recreational users need to notify any airport if within 5 miles, which is not the case. The rules state, only airports with control towers.

EDIT: ...or air traffic control facilities. From part 101, (e). Read this for yourselves as it is only my interpretation. Be safe and notify anyone you can.

Once you have your 107, if you are operating commercially, you will be required to get airspace authorization in anything other than class g airspace, which in some cases will be more restrictive than flying recreational, but once you have that authorization it can be valid for a considerable period of time, eliminating the need for repeated notifications.

But, remember that you can still fly recreational, at any time you choose, prior to the flight, so you kinda get the best of both worlds.

Just passed the part 107 with a 93%! Wanted to share my experience since this forum has been a big help to me. First off, the exam was much harder than expected. I had read others say you need to UNDERSTAND the concepts, not just know the rules. I underestimated that statement. Several questions were situation based, many of which were about tower inspections and altitude limits. For example, if you were hired to inspect a tower located on map here, and were flying at the maximum allowed altitude, what airspace authorization is required. You had to cross AGL/ MSL, know the airspace, how to read a chart, all for one questions. Another thing I noticed was that if you pay attention, some questions will help you answer other questions. Use all your resources. There was at least one question that I did not know, but was able to use the testing supplement to answer correctly. I did only self study with free materials and practice tests, but there were less than 5 questions that I had actually seen in all the practice tests. In addition to the FAA study guide, become very familiar with the testing supplement. I did not spend enough time studying the advisory circular. There is also a 3 page part 107 summary that i found just a day or two ago that got me at least one correct answer. I got several questions about required visibility and required distance from clouds that were not in the study guide. There were a few "trick" questions where they provided unnecessary extra information in the question which I did not expect on this test. Also, don't ignore all the weather acronyms in the study guide.

Here are my top two study/ practice sites:
https://3dr.com/faa/drone-practice-tests/
Helping Individuals and Businesses Navigate Drone Law

Good luck!!!

Reactions: dewster
Just passed the part 107 with a 93%! Wanted to share my experience since this forum has been a big help to me. First off, the exam was much harder than expected. I had read others say you need to UNDERSTAND the concepts, not just know the rules. I underestimated that statement. Several questions were situation based, many of which were about tower inspections and altitude limits. For example, if you were hired to inspect a tower located on map here, and were flying at the maximum allowed altitude, what airspace authorization is required. You had to cross AGL/ MSL, know the airspace, how to read a chart, all for one questions. Another thing I noticed was that if you pay attention, some questions will help you answer other questions. Use all your resources. There was at least one question that I did not know, but was able to use the testing supplement to answer correctly. I did only self study with free materials and practice tests, but there were less than 5 questions that I had actually seen in all the practice tests. In addition to the FAA study guide, become very familiar with the testing supplement. I did not spend enough time studying the advisory circular. There is also a 3 page part 107 summary that i found just a day or two ago that got me at least one correct answer. I got several questions about required visibility and required distance from clouds that were not in the study guide. There were a few "trick" questions where they provided unnecessary extra information in the question which I did not expect on this test. Also, don't ignore all the weather acronyms in the study guide.

Good luck!!!
Congrats! I passed my 107 in December. Still waiting for the license in the mail.

You are correct in that the test is no cake walk. I would advise anyone thinking of taking the test to not take it lightly. It's legit. Don't think that you can walk into it (regardless of your education) and pass it. The material is very targeted and very specific. You can't just wing it. But with study, sure, no worries.

Good luck!!!
Way to go!

Congratulations, and welcome to the club.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1