DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Payload mode, how much weight ????

Shadowcatcher

Reactions
I know we are instructed to engage payload mode when using the prop guards which weigh 46 grams and limit flight to 250 feet. My question is after installing the pyg leg extensions, (18.3 grams) and the strobe I just purchased.( 16.7 grams) for a total add on weight of 35 grams and a total craft weight of 284 grams, will the mm detect the extra weight and automatically switch to payload mode, will it effect my overall flight performance or distance. How much weight can I add before I have to manually engage payload mode. I would already had answers to these questions but the weather has not been cooperating at all an not in the near future, wind, rain or both, been confined to flying indoors. Thanks for any responses

I know we are instructed to engage payload mode when using the prop guards which weigh 46 grams and limit flight to 250 feet. My question is after installing the pyg leg extensions, (18.3 grams) and the strobe I just purchased.( 16.7 grams) for a total add on weight of 35 grams and a total craft weight of 284 grams, will the mm detect the extra weight and automatically switch to payload mode, will it effect my overall flight performance or distance. How much weight can I add before I have to manually engage payload mode. I would already had answers to these questions but the weather has not been cooperating at all an not in the near future, wind, rain or both, been confined to flying indoors. Thanks for any responses
I eagerly await the results of your testing.

All I need is one good day of weather, I'll throughly test out all aspects and post the results, thanks

I eagerly await the results of your testing.

For fun, I installed the PGYTech leg extensions, prop guards and a 23 gram strobe. That brought the total weight to 341 grams. I have firmware/app v.1.0.4 installed. And I had the payload mode toggled on in the app.

This is what popped up after I launched. I want to try it again with payload mode toggled off and with less weight to see if it makes a difference in the limits. I also never thought to see if those limits are changeable.

Unfortunately, we're now in a deep freeze (<> -30C) for the next few days so it's going to have to wait awhile.

I did fly just fine with the extra weight, BTW. Just really limited on distance, altitude and speed.

341 g payload irf.jpg

That's what I was curious about, mostly distance, and without cage. High winds and rain for the next three days, I'll have to wait. My biggest fear is if I would be able to fly out 2500 or 3000feet payload would kick in and my mm would get a mind of it's own and say goodbye !!!

That's what I was curious about, mostly distance, and without cage. High winds and rain for the next three days, I'll have to wait. My biggest fear is if I would be able to fly out 2500 or 3000feet payload would kick in and my mm would get a mind of it's own and say goodbye !!!

When you have the payload toggle already on, it sets the limits right after launch. I'm waiting for weather to improve, too, to do some more experimenting. I wish it was only rain that was delaying it. :)

I fly my MM with .PGYTech leg extensions , wrap, and strobe. All up weight is 275. I have not seen payload warningMMweight.jpg I am also using latest FW. Enjoy your flying.

• Haha
Reactions: MKurr
Hello !
I made some tests related to this topic today, because I like to fly with the propeller guards. My understanding is that if the payload mode is set to "off", the Mini nevertheless enters payload mode automatically shortly after each takeoff as it senses the extra weight. So you get the height and distance limit, whichever way you have done the setting.

The solution is to get the Mini airborne, wait for the "Payload mode enabled" warning, and then go into the DJI Fly Safety/Advanced menu and turn payload mode off manually. This way I was able to fly beyond the 30/50 meters limit with the extra weight. I use firmware 1.0.4.

Note that this has to be redone on each subsequent flight, which is a minor hassle but with some experience it will not take many seconds.

I really hope DJI have implemented this so that the Mini can't enter payload mode a second time during the flight. That would be "exciting" if the Mini is far away at that moment. It did not happen to me today, but some extra testing would not harm.

@nros I did test this two days ago and once it is disabled in flight it does to get re-enanled later during the same flight. Mine was loaded with 60 gram (extra light strobes). Link here: Cheap Strobe mod. I am on the same firmware v. 1.0.4.

Later edit: I believe that the payload mode is triggered if you load more than 40 gram of extra weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: WooZie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom