DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pending Storm - Drone Forward flight stopped

RS6_Pilot

Reactions
I've read many reasons for why the forward movement of the Mavic Air 2 may stop. Mostly obstacle avoidance and direct sunlight.

I recently took flight and within 100 yards the drone stopped moving forward. I started to ascend and then I got a warning about reaching maximum flight height but I hadn't.

Since I'm new I'm not sure if I got other warning signs (I'm currently researching how to download flight logs and read it).

Now I was flying over trees but I've flown much closer to these trees before. Also, about 4-5 miles into horizon I can see rain clouds, so this is what made me think......do drone's see storms as obstacles?

I wasn't going on a long flight. I only wanted to take a quick video of the area in front of me but because I'm at 900 feet elevation I can see the storms coming in.

Other data:
winds speeds around 10 mph
cloudy
45-50 degrees F
sun behind me but covered by clouds.
I used RTH and it worked perfect.

I'd appreciate anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Never heard of drones detecting storms. The sensors only pick up solid obstacles within a very specific range. You sure it wasn't just a sensor glitch? Maybe you reached the outer limit of the Matrix. :) LOL.

Reactions: RS6_Pilot
Now I was flying over trees but I've flown much closer to these trees before. Also, about 4-5 miles into horizon I can see rain clouds, so this is what made me think......do drone's see storms as obstacles?

Other data:
winds speeds around 10 mph
cloudy
45-50 degrees F
sun behind me but covered by clouds.
I used RTH and it worked perfect.
Was that 10mph wind at the surface? It could be much higher at altitude, and a headwind can easily stop forward progress, or even blow you backwards. If this happens, descend immediately to calmer air and see if you can maneuver.

It didn't detect distant storm clouds and stop because of them.

I keep thinking it does, but then I check and realize it's not in the Fly dependent models. It should have though, more so than the ones that use Go.

Do check your max altitude setting.

UPDATE:

I think I found the solution. The battery needed a firmware update.

The next time I tried to take flight the batter would not turn on or off properly. It was just stuck with non consecutive lights in the circle. My controller said I needed a battery update so I did that. After the update the battery started working again and the next flight went without any issues.

I'll do more research now but I did not know the batter had their own updates.

Thanks.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54