DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pensacola Beach Florida Pier Shot!

michaelz850

Reactions
Check out my first real picture over water and 3000’ out and 300’ up in the air! I was so happy that the weather was crystal clear! Not hardly a cloud in the sky! North winds 3-5 mph, 60 degrees, I couldn’t of asked for a better day to fly my new DJI Mavic 2 Zoom!

I’m new to drone flying and new to this site, I have always loved taking photos and now I can take pictures that very few can and with stunning results! 4K and 1080 shots like this are something out of a movie and or magazine!

I’m looking for suggestions on how to take better pictures using the filters? I have the 5 filters that came with the fly more kit 3 batteries, etc.

IMG_8806.JPG

Shoot in AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) using either 3 or 5 shots.
Set the exposure as you normally would for a well exposed picture. This will be your middle exposure. AEB will take one above the exposure and one below the exposure if shooting 3 brackets and it will take 2 above and 2 below if shooting 5 brackets.

Then combine these shots into a true HDR image using something like Photomatix Pro, Lightroom, or Aurora. This will help you bring out the Highlights and the Shadows in one image and increase the Dynamic Range.

Truly spectacular results can be produced.

If you want to experiment with filters install a really dark ND filter . Fly out over running water (like in a stream or waterfall) and shoot a long exposure.

Shoot in AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) using either 3 or 5 shots.
Set the exposure as you normally would for a well exposed picture. This will be your middle exposure. AEB will take one above the exposure and one below the exposure if shooting 3 brackets and it will take 2 above and 2 below if shooting 5 brackets.

Then combine these shots into a true HDR image using something like Photomatix Pro, Lightroom, or Aurora. This will help you bring out the Highlights and the Shadows in one image and increase the Dynamic Range.

Truly spectacular results can be produced.

If you want to experiment with filters install a really dark ND filter . Fly out over running water (like in a stream or waterfall) and shoot a long exposure.

Awesome response! Thank you! Like I said I’m new to the drone world and have only used phone cameras or cheap digital ones, I was once told that it’s not the camera it’s all in how you take the pictures and edit them!

Now I’m sure a high quality camera will give better results but for what I have on the Mavic 2 zoom I am happy and impressed! All of my friends and family love it!

If I get into doing this professionally I’m sure I’ll have to upgrade or spend some money but for now I’m happy and that’s all that matters, I will try using the darker filters and experiment to see what turns out the best.

Welcome!

Also turn on the grid view so that you can compose and frame your shots using the "rule of thirds".

It will help create visual interest.

Reactions: michaelz850
Here is a before AEB merge shot at zero exposure and after combining and tone mapping. See a difference?
Baluga Point - Outside Anchorage Alaska
View attachment 61597View attachment 61598

Holy crap! Seriously that’s the same picture? I see that it is but WOW! That’s amazing! Looks like I need to polish up my skills and do some research to make my photos look like yours! If you can take a dull gray almost black and white photo and turn it into that then I am gonna love what I could do with the pictures I can take at the beach’s in Florida where I live!

Reactions: mereflyer
When you shoot in AEB mode one can select RAW as the image format.

A camera raw image file contains minimally processed data from the image sensor of either a digital camera, or motion picture film scanner, or other image scanner.[1][2] Raw files are named so because they are not yet processed and therefore are not ready to be printed or edited with a bitmap graphics editor. Normally, the image is processed by a raw converter in a wide-gamut internal color space where precise adjustments can be made before conversion to a "positive" file format such as TIFF or JPEG for storage, printing, or further manipulation. This often encodes the image in a device-dependent color space.

Welcome!

Also turn on the grid view so that you can compose and frame your shots using the "rule of thirds".

It will help create visual interest.

Now it’s time to go out flying and take some more amazing photos and videos with my Mavic 2 Zoom! I chose the zoom over the original Mavic 2 for the capabilities to zoom in and out to get that perfect shot without having to fly closer!

Thanks for keeping it real, have fun and enjoy your night, I greatly appreciate all your comments and info. I’m gonna go download some editing software so I can start making my memories even more memorable! Life is good!

Reactions: Beachboy
The image above was a 5 stop AEB image that was combined and then tone mapped to achieve the second image posted.

Filters come with the fly more kit? I got none with my kit.

IMG_8811.JPG
So far this is the best deal I’ve seen! $1399 off eBay and yes it’s legit, came with 2 extra batteries, 5 filters, carry case, 2 complete sets of extra props, landing pad, and a whole lot more, everyone I spoke to told me I was getting a knock off or scammed!

My drone is registered with DJI and warrantied with them for a year for anything! Even if I fly it into the ocean! I think it’s $150 to replace it per the deductible but for $150 that’s some serious piece of mind and one hell of a combo package!

A polarizer filter helps reduce glare in Florida (I live in Orlando) - I'm not sure what filters you have in that there kit.
But as said above, shooting AEB and in RAW and then post processing HDR will give you stunning images. They can tend to look over processed or surreal sometimes.
Here's another before and after, processed by Google Photos... I don't know how Google does this, but they grab photos from my phone and process them and send an update. AEB set to 5.After org_997cc934f2d10c5a_1549140472000-EFFECTS.jpgBefore org_b4177267b29101f6_1549140478000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeyMikeOZ
The other important thing about RAW is the dynamic range. RAW has considerably more dynamic range (more bits per pixel) than JPEG, so I always shoot RAW, regardless of camera (except my phone, which cannot). This allows you to preserve higher highlights and more info in the shadows, and then pull them out in tools like Lightroom. For a scene like the one you showed, I would shoot in RAW, under expose a little (or do AEB), and then use a gradient filter in Lightroom, while also lowering the highlights and boosting the shadows (although there isn't much shadow in that scene). Even without HDR, you can bring a bunch more out of that scene with RAW and some modest post-processing.

Also, with RAW, you can also do more corrections with white balance. If you also want the quick pics, you can shoot RAW+JPEG.

Reactions: michaelz850
A polarizer filter helps reduce glare in Florida (I live in Orlando) - I'm not sure what filters you have in that there kit.
But as said above, shooting AEB and in RAW and then post processing HDR will give you stunning images. They can tend to look over processed or surreal sometimes.
Here's another before and after, processed by Google Photos... I don't know how Google does this, but they grab photos from my phone and process them and send an update. AEB set to 5.

That is actually impressive post processing of the RAW files by Google. Processed, but not over processed to death!

Awesome photo. Being a new pilot weren't you a bit nervous flying out over open water?

I was a little nervous but with a 5 mile range and I’m all about flying at least far enough away to get awesome shots like the one I got!

I figured that if I was gonna lose it I would lose it, but I didn’t and I’m less nervous now so I don’t mind flying over the water to get the amazing pictures my hometown has to offer me.

I also have the warranty on my Mavic 2 where if I lose it, break it, or sink it they will replace it once for $159 so it’s not a bad thing except the wait to get the replacement one if this does happen. I have to show video or a picture of my drones last shot and the gps will work like a phone so if I fake it I’m sure I’ll get caught and get in trouble for fraud which I won’t do!

I live in Pensacola and would love to fly at the beach. It is all listed as NPS controlled space and a no fly zone. I’d be happy just to fly at 50’ over the water. I understand all the military traffic. Is it legal to fly anywhere at Pensacola Beach?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gshu