DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pentagon bans DJI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fly my drone with dedicated device (smart controller in this case) which I dont connect to internet.

Curious to know, how is DJI getting the data off my device and sending it back to China if it doesnt go online? Couldn't one simply use a dedicated device that doesnt go online to get around any potential data snooping by DJI? Standard RC with cheap Android phone perhaps?

I guess you could argue when you DO connect it for a firmware or app upgrade it could do so. Its a terrible argument but its one they'd make.

Nobody has explained WHY dji would want utterly useless flight data from hundreds of thousands of toy helicopter fliers. Im not sure China has a desperate need for low resolution cached photos of a sunset or someones garden.

Big data is all the rage, everyone does it. Google, Microsoft, Apple and everyone else. Data is money and data is power.
Of course this data can also be used to identify, debug and optimise products in the future such as MS operating system telemetry etc. Its dual use.

We also know the surveillance state is a thing and despite the claims from some, we know that its not only China doing it. The US does it in a massive way both passively and actively as does every other country on the planet.
I wouldnt trust a US product any more than i'd trust a Chinese product. Or a British product, or anyone elses.

As a software developer usage data is majorly important for us to tune the software for the users, our usage stats are opt-in of course but so far 57,000 people have opted-in and sent anonymous data which we make public.

Alright gang. We've gone well outside the SCOPE of the OP here. This thread is now closed and cleaned up again.

*** Thread Closed***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio