RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
InsideDefense

Justin Doubleday

August 29, 2019

The top small drone manufacturer in the world is hitting back at the Pentagon’s assertion that the company’s unmanned aerial systems send user data to China, as Defense Department officials use the claim as part of their case for establishing an alternative U.S. supply of small UAS. The Pentagon is launching its Trusted Capital Marketplace program this fall and plans to initially focus on the small UAS sector. The marketplace program is meant to connect promising American technology start-ups with “trusted” venture capitalists, rather than risk those firms taking money from sources such as Chinese investors, according to U.S. officials. The program is among many recent DOD initiatives aimed at blocking China.

During an Aug. 26 press briefing at the Pentagon, DOD acquisition chief Ellen Lord discussed the new program’s initial emphasis on small UAS and singled out DJI Technology, the leading quadcopter manufacturer in the world. DJI is based in Shenzhen, China.

“So essentially, we don't have much of a small UAS industrial base because DJI dumped so many low-price quadcopters on the markets,” Lord said. “And we then became dependent on them, both from the defense point of view and the commercial point of view, and we know that a lot of the information is sent back to China from those. So it’s not something that we can use.”

However, Michael Oldenburg, a DJI spokesman, called Lord’s comments “false and misleading.”

“DJI drones do not automatically send data to the Chinese government or to any unauthorized party,” Oldenburg said. He pointed to a February 2018 study of DJI’s data practices conducted by Kivu Consulting, an independent cybersecurity auditor, that concluded “users have control over the types of data DJI drones collect, store, and transmit."

Oldenburg also disputed Lord’s characterization that DJI “dumped” cheap quadcopters on the U.S. market.

“DJI has earned its market-leading position in the drone industry because we have continued to research, develop and deliver the most capable products to the market,” he said.

DOD has not responded to requests for additional information on its claims about DJI.

In 2018, DOD banned the purchase of commercial off-the-shelf small UAS in a move widely perceived as aimed at DJI. However, Lord has said she and DOD Chief Information Officer Dana Deasy have spent “a lot of quality time together” reviewing waiver applications from DOD organizations seeking to buy DJI drones.

"The demand signal is very, very strong, especially for expeditionary units, special operations and so forth," Lord said last week during a conference in Washington hosted by the Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International.

“This document does not contain technology or Technical Data controlled under either the U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations or the U.S. Export Administration Regulations.”

The Senate’s version of the fiscal year 2020 defense authorization bill would codify the ban by prohibiting the Pentagon from buying any small UAS from Chinese-based companies, while still maintaining a waiver process. The provision was pushed by Sen. Chris Murphy (D-CT), who cited a national security “threat” posed by DJI.

“Congress needs to ban the use of all Chinese-made drones by Department of Defense and instead only spend taxpayer money on U.S. drone manufacturers and foster the development of a U.S.-based supply chain,” Murphy said in May.

DJI has not formally come out against the language, although Oldenburg said the company believes in establishing “standards” for small UAS, rather than a ban aimed at Chinese companies.

“This just blanket country-of-origin ban doesn't make any sense,” he told Inside Defense Aug. 27. “What we think makes more sense is a set of clear and transparent standards for the industry, and specifically for the [small] UAS or the drone industry around key areas such as features, performance, safety, security.”

DJI maintains that users of its drones retain full control over how their data is or is not shared with the company. If U.S. users do elect to share data, it’s stored in Amazon Web Services cloud servers based in the United States, according to Oldenburg. He said the company would not be able to comply with a request from the Chinese government for access to user data stored in the United States.

“We are headquartered in Shenzhen, but we view ourselves as a global company,” Oldenburg said. “So we abide by the local laws and regulations just as any other multinational technology company would do.”

He also said DJI has not had any engagement with DOD regarding the department’s cybersecurity qualms.

Since the company doesn’t sell directly to its commercial customers, it doesn’t always know when U.S. military organizations are buying its drones, according to Oldenburg. But despite the 2018 ban, he said DJI is aware of recent orders from U.S. military entities, including a Jane’s 360 report from July previewing Air Force plans to buy a variety of the company’s UAS models.

Meanwhile, the Pentagon’s plan to boost the U.S. small UAS market through its Trusted Capital Marketplace program was bolstered in June, when President Trump issued a Presidential Determination declaring the domestic production capability for small UAS as “essential to the national defense.”

Under the Defense Production Act, the determination allows DOD to spend up to $50 million per year through economic incentives for small UAS suppliers, such as "purchases to create or expand production capacity or assistance with the purchase and installation of production equipment," according to a DOD spokesman.

At the AUVSI conference last week, Lord said the Pentagon’s goal is to boost U.S. companies to the point where they are viable in the commercial UAS marketplace.

“We think competition makes the market better for everyone,” Oldenburg said when asked about DOD’s efforts to shore up DJI’s U.S.-based competitors. “It gives consumers choice. And we think it raises the tide for everyone, whether that's product functionality, product safety or product security.”

This should be a strong contender for the non sequitur of the day award.

“So essentially, we don't have much of a small UAS industrial base because DJI dumped so many low-price quadcopters on the markets,”​

I'm going to have to agree with the DOD, we should be very cautious of Chinese made equipment in support of ANY US GOV operations until it's been heavily screened, to do so would be irresponsible. Look at the past; Lenovo's laptops that were preloaded with malware along with USB thumb drives with keyloggers years before, all made in China. DJI may not even know their government is tapping into their systems, the Chinese government does whatever it wants when it comes to the digital domain. I've specifically setup firewall filters in my home and on my mobile device when using my mavic to block any possible communication, I have 0 confidence in the companies ability to keep my info private.

I'm going to have to agree with the DOD, we should be very cautious of Chinese made equipment in support of ANY US GOV operations until it's been heavily screened, to do so would be irresponsible. Look at the past; Lenovo's laptops that were preloaded with malware along with USB thumb drives with keyloggers years before, all made in China. DJI may not even know their government is tapping into their systems, the Chinese government does whatever it wants when it comes to the digital domain. I've specifically setup firewall filters in my home and on my mobile device when using my mavic to block any possible communication, I have 0 confidence in the companies ability to keep my info private.

Isn’t it two American companies that have had teams of people listening in on private individuals conversations even when the microphone was supposedly off?

Not saying DJI are good or bad but China is far from the only country undertaking mass surveillance.

Isn’t it two American companies that have had teams of people listening in on private individuals conversations even when the microphone was supposedly off?

Not saying DJI are good or bad but China is far from the only country undertaking mass surveillance.

Valid point, but at least the USA is a nation of laws; even the President isn't immune if caught (NIXON).

Reactions: unionglzr

Exactly how is that a drone related comment? This is a slippery slope and we all need to stay On Topic especially on THIS topic.

I've cleaned this thread once and if it goes down into the ditches again we'll shut it down. We can do this :)

If you are referring to the Apple, Amazon, Microsoft and Google QA programs for their digital assistants, that's not quite correct. It wasn't mass surveillance because it was completely anonymized, so of no surveillance use at all. And, at least in Apple's case, and I think the others too, its sole purpose was to assess effectiveness when people were actually talking to the system, and the inadvertent cases were when the system mistook something for the activation phrase. There was no deliberate listening in on private conversations, let alone identification of the participants.

That's very different from the asserted data collection by DJI, even though that has also been completely misrepresented.

Exactly how is that a drone related comment? This is a slippery slope and we all need to stay On Topic especially on THIS topic.

I've cleaned this thread once and if it goes down into the ditches again we'll shut it down. We can do this :)

My apologies. In the context of other posters implying all Chinese equipment is likely a bit suspect I thought it entirely relevant to the conversation as a whole.

Agree it’s not specifically drone related though and yes - seen plenty of these threads implode :D.

Reactions: BigAl07
I don't see any PROOF that data is being transmitted to China without the Operators INTENT to do so?

Just another Scare campaign to get more $ for Defence!!!

Trying to take out competition by banning them?
So I suppose there'll be a US-based UAS company producing drones with similar specs as DJI's but cost 3x as much, cos these chinese-made drones are too cheap?

Right now, in the commercial grade market, that's almost what's happening, except the specs are still inferior in virtually all aspects. But they are about 3 times the price.

Don't forget attempting to alter NIST encryption standards to benefit them, supply chain attacks on Cisco. Witting or unwitting back door implants in Juniper and other firewall/vpn code and so on.
Thats without the whole Prism and other projects revealed by Snowdon.
So yes, they're every bit as bad as the Chinese are in these areas.

I can quite understand the US not wanting to buy Chinese for internal use but realistically, for the rest of the world, i can see it being a bad idea to buy anything US manufactured for the same reason - you just cant trust its secure.

This is more likely trade war related. US companies are years behind DJI so its an attempt to cripple the competition to give it a chance to catch up. Same with Huawei etc. Its politics related more than security.

Don't forget attempting to alter NIST encryption standards to benefit them, supply chain attacks on Cisco. Witting or unwitting back door implants in Juniper and other firewall/vpn code and so on.

I can quite understand the US not wanting to buy Chinese for internal use but realistically, for the rest of the world, i can see it being a bad idea to buy anything US manufactured for the same reason - you just cant trust its secure.

This is more likely trade war related. US companies are years behind DJI so its an attempt to cripple the competition to give it a chance to catch up. Same with Huawei etc. Its politics related more than security.

It's quite possible that the trade dispute is playing into the latest round of initiatives to block DJI, even though the original DoD ban back in 2017 was put into place for entirely different misguided reasons.

It's quite possible that the trade dispute is playing into the latest round of initiatives to block DJI, even though the original DoD ban back in 2017 was put into place for entirely different misguided reasons.

Trying to take out competition by banning them?So I suppose there'll be a US-based UAS company producing drones with similar specs as DJI's but cost 3x as much, cos these chinese-made drones are too cheap?

In addition to infrastructure surveillance, this 2017 ICE Bulletin accused DJI of corporate espionage and anti-competitive "dumping:"

RE: 8-17-2017 ICE Intelligence Bulletin
Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) Likely Providing U.S. Critical Infrastructure and Law Enforcement Data to Chinese Government

In addition to infrastructure surveillance, this 2017 ICE Bulletin accused DJI of corporate espionage and anti-competitive "dumping:"

RE: 8-17-2017 ICE Intelligence Bulletin
Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) Likely Providing U.S. Critical Infrastructure and Law Enforcement Data to Chinese Government

Interesting, but looks like portion-marked speculation to me, and it has the usual complement of factual errors that we've seen from several agencies. And I wonder who leaded an FOUO memo.

Reactions: Point Zero
The thing that will fix this is the FAA requiring certified software for drones operating in the NAS. It's really surprising they don't require that already. And to certify the software, you have to supply it to the certifying authority, or their approved representative, who will of course be a US citizen.

DJI has made some progress in planning to produce drones in the US. But they will never be considered 'clean' until either their software is written in the US, goes open source, or is certified by a US entity.

I fly my drone with dedicated device (smart controller in this case) which I dont connect to internet.

Curious to know, how is DJI getting the data off my device and sending it back to China if it doesnt go online? Couldn't one simply use a dedicated device that doesnt go online to get around any potential data snooping by DJI? Standard RC with cheap Android phone perhaps?

Or is the drone beaming the data back to China through some magical airy fairy technology we havent heard about?

If DJI is "dumping" cheap quads on us then I can only imagine the DODs idea for realistic pricing would be something in the vicinity of $10000, flies for 10-20mins, tax is excluded oh and yeah, lube is extra. Not saying technology cant be developed in USA (infact they have some of the brightest people on the planet!), but the cost of producing anything low margin (like consumer electronics) in a developed country like USA would push the prices beyond reach of everyday person can afford.

DJI drones rely on US technology.
Obstacle avoidance/tracking, propulsion, battery management, RF etc. The clever tech isn’t DJI- they are masters at packaging. The real advantage is they can produce stuff cheap and in huge volumes in China. I would pay extra for made in USA. Most wont. That is why we are where we are.

DJI drones rely on US technology.
Obstacle avoidance/tracking, propulsion, battery management, RF etc. The clever tech isn’t DJI- they are masters at packaging. The real advantage is they can produce stuff cheap and in huge volumes in China. I would pay extra for made in USA. Most wont. That is why we are where we are.

DJI uses products with tech from 10s or more countries and patents. The tech components themselves arent that useful. Its being able to combine them into a working product at a sensible price thats important. Which is something DJI do extremely well and something US based (and everywhere else) companies are quite literally years behind.
The outsourced cheap, huge volume production is available to everyone. But theres no point making vast volumes of an inferior product that won't sell.

Im generally country agnostic. If im shopping around i'll go for whatever product best fits my needs at the most realistic price point. Its rare ill even KNOW where it comes from, even rarer for me to check.

That said [Argumentative Comment Removed by Admin] if i do see a label with one of the "proudly made in the USA" flags prominent on the packaging or product itself ill look for an alternative that doesn't. If there isn't one i'll still buy it but if its an even choice and all other things equal then i'll get the other one.

I dont really have any brand or national loyalty. Pretty much everything i own is because it was the best option for me at the time. When it comes time to upgrade i'll look around and repeat the process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan