DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permissions to fly

Scots Mike

Reactions
So many rumours I have heard. Everyone claims to be an expert - except me. I have owned a `Mavic Pro for a couple of years but have not used it very much ( weddings and holidays in remote beautiful Scotland). Exactly what permissions do I need, if any, and how should I go about getting them? Serious advice will be most welcome.

if you are just flying as a hobbyist,then all you need to do is follow the drone code at this time you need to register your drone to obtain an operator ID number which has to be displayed on the outside of the drone
and in order to fly your drone you need to have a flyer ID, the operator ID costs £9 for a year and the flyer is free and lasts 3 years and involves doing a 20 question test online
if you go on the CAA website it is all explained there
Commercial operations require you to have a PFCO licence and to have formal training on a course and are required if you intend to be paid for flying your drone
hope this helps as of the 31st of november 2019 the operator ID and flyer ID became law and you can be fined if you fail to comply

Reactions: Scots Mike
Welcome to the forum.
A lot to do with your question will relate to the airspace authority, in this case the CAA.

If using it for recreational purposes, you don't need to do a lot, register yourself and take a simple test of understanding rules etc.
You get a flier ID, simple online test of drone code / rules, free ?
Then register and label your drone(s).
You get an operator ID and you label your drone(s) with that number as per the guidelines.
Small annual fee for rego.

If you get any sort of reward for the video / photos of any sort of filming, or it is used for commercial reasons, then you need to get a drone pilots licence > PfCO.
I am sure you would need to do the labelling etc of drone(s), but you can have a look through here to confirm . . .

License and fees a lot higher, look into the site commercial section above if you think it applies to you.

Good luck, enjoy the forum and once you get registered etc, you can probably fly more at peace knowing you aren't going to get pinged by someone in authority (as you are outside current requirements).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llMUTTZZll